• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New To Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDriver

Originally posted by Adrenaline Rush
GI BILL??? what where who???? is this something where i can get money for college??? who is elgible for it?? different than bdcp??

The Montgomery GI Bill is an educational benefit awarded to Officers and Enlisted. Their paycheck are deducted for the first 12 months in service. Plus they have to have served full active for (i'm not sure on this) 3 full years and they must receive honorable discharge.

My questions:
How does BDCP work?
I one got accepted for the BDCP can that person use his GI Bill?
Are their "prefered" college majors for the BDCP?

Thanks

JayManC

yeah i completely forgot about the whole time-in-service requirements. hmm even still its a good deal...give them $1200 get back $20k in three years. bypasses the whole service requirements that go along with tuition reimbursement.

<insert something witty here:>

Goliath112

yeah and its not 20k right now either. I am using my GI Bill and you get 36 months of entitlement. which is paid at the rate for that fiscal year. right now its 900.00 dollars a month for a full time student. which means 32,400 dollars. it usually rises about 100.00 a month. when I started using the GI BILL after my discharge in 99'it was 536.00 a month, it jumped all the way to 900.00 in the space of 3 years.

man the wait is killing me

Goliath112

and you can use that money for flight training too. The money is sent to you via direct deposit. but you have to be enrolled in a VA approved school or technical program to get it.

man the wait is killing me

jaznups

Ok I'm confused? So you can double dip? BDCP and the G.I. Bill or is it one or the other?

I have madd loans accumulating and need to ANY HELP I CAN GET!!

Thanx,
Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

JayManC

Jaz,
to clarify your question you have to realize that the GI Bill is only for prior service members that served 3+ yrs active duty, got honorably discharged, also they would have had to give-in to the program for a year roughly $1200. BDCP is for civies or non-active priors.
you can get into the GI Bill once commissioned and use it for post-grad work after your EAOS. i was under the impression that i might be able to use it while serving, but i was misinformed. sadly enough i will have to pay my loans back out of pocket.

jaznups

ahhh Gotcha!

Thanx for clarifying...

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

DDriver

How does BDCP work?
What are the eligibility requirements, age limit, etc..?
Can veterans apply for it?

Thanks

JayManC

ddriver yes vets can apply if they are commissionable, and on an inactive reserve status. for more info just do a search on BDCP

ERAUpilot

I am currently a freshmen at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach and involved in Air Force ROTC. I just learned about the BDCP program a couple weeks ago and it has me quite interested. I was already considering switching to Navy ROTC next year but now that I heard about BDCP I am not sure anymore. If I keep my grades up and get some more flight experience how good are my chances of getting accepted for a pilot slot by my junior year? What are the major differences between NROTC and BDCP? I just want to fly in the military, I don't care which branch or what I'm flying. The Navy sounds like a better program but I'm still torn between them and the Air Force. I'd just like to hear a few people's opinions and I'd like to learn everything I can about the BDCP program. thanks for your time,
-B Clausen

tali264

Well I'm BDCP so I can tell you about that, but not so much about ROTC. With BDCP you apply and if you are excepted you are paid as if you were an E-3 (helping you pay back those loans [:p]). So you get your base pay, food, and housing. This comes with no responsibilities while in school like you would have for ROTC. The only things you have to do are check in with your recruiter once a month, send in your transcripts at the end of each term, and take the PRT every 6 months. Doing this you have to go through OCS though, which if you did ROTC you wouldn't have to do. As far as getting in, well... I'm not sure. If you've read the posts on here lately you would have seen that many people have good stats and are getting rejected. However that doesn't mean that a very qualified applicant can't get in. I applied (actually sent in the application) between the first semester and second semester of my sophomore year(meaning I started the application process in Oct/Nov). Ummm....not sure what else you want to know. I suggest keeping your grades as high as possible no matter what track you decide to take. I know some people on here will tell you that not having a great GPA came back to haunt them. Hoped that at least helped a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.