• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New To Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHigh

What is the Thrift Savings Plan and where can you access it online? And BDCP has a max of 18 months... FYI
- Flying upside down is better

tali264

SkyHigh,
BDCP does not have a limit of 18 months. I am currently over that limit and still have to finish out this year... so I'll be at around 28 months with it.

JGalus

The thrift savings plan (TSP) is the military version of a 401K, you put money aside in a fund chosen by you, but managed by the experts. Along with being a good investment there is a big tax break when it comes to interest. More info can be found at http://www.tsp.gov/ .

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC, 91-99)

SkyHigh

I guess it must be different for people in the Northeast or something.. As a BDCP Pilot the max we have written on the contracts is 18 months.. Are you a nuq or a CE Supply, Pilot, RIO?

Valion310

Sorry if this question is redundant, anyone know how much BDCP is opening up this coming spring? I'm pondering if I should just bypass it and shoot direct for the SNA.

Valion310 turning right base for 35R -

jaznups

Well you can apply for both. I think that you could get SNA and not BDCP or get put on a wait list.

So I'd apply for both because you never know! And now is the beginning of the new fiscal year for the Navy... why not try?

Jaz

PS.
My $.02 - I'm applying for CEC and I know the limit is definitely NOT 18 monthes...

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

JayManC

ok tell me if this is just too much scheming. I know a few guys who have managed to "get over" on the GI Bill. My question is provided that I were to get into BDCP and paid into the GI Bill plan, would it be possible to use the funds from that to apply towards student loans? or would i have to use it towards grad school? Barring tuition assistance of course.

<insert something witty here:>

JayManC

FYI all of the information I have gotten in regards to BDCP and length states essentially that you must be within 24 months of graduating unless you are in a "technical field of study" by which you can apply as far out as 36 months.

I would imagine if your graduation date changed for reasons beyond your control (ie classes not being offered during certain semesters) than it goes without saying that the timeline would be pushed back. That was what my recruiter and my college division chair (who has dealt with a number of these) told me.

<insert something witty here:>

jaznups

Well LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE TECHIES!!!

Finally we catch a break on something [:p]

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

JGalus

I didn't think that your grad could be pushed back, because of the degree completion plan that we all had to fill out before being accepted into the program. If your school doesn't offer a course during the semester that they stated they would on your degree plan they should give you the opprotunity to take something else in its place. My recruiter told me that the by signing the degree plan, your counselor or dean, was basically singing a contract with you and the Navy.

Jamie
BCDP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

tali264

The contract that I signed stated:

"That I will not be allowed to increase my projected time in college, change majors, enter into an exchange program or transfer schools without specific permission of Commander, Navy Recruiting Command (COMNAVCRUITCOM)"

So take that to mean what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.