• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Initiatives from SECNAV

MasterBates

It was around about the time you showed up at HSL land. I think it came out when I was on deployment in 2004. I think my det Chief tried to intrusively lead by buying myself, the Det Ops and the Det OIC a lap dance (not performed by him).

Remember, you were LAMPS-LITE.

I was in Mayport.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

blackbart22

pilot
Good thing I did my twenty when I did. On the Constipation coming off forty odd days on Yankee Station and headed for Cubi, Capt Christiansen was on the TV giving the troops some instructions. He said " If you don't want trouble from me, when you go ashore, do what sailors are supposed to do. Get drunk -- Get laid--- and fight other sailors --- one at a time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Remember, you were LAMPS-LITE.

I was in Mayport.

Shouldn't that mean you were knee deep in it? Or just in your own LAMPS world? -37 may have been LAMPS light, but my last squadron was most definitely Diet LAMPS. We have have the "patch."

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
One of the West Coast CAGs late in the Vietnam war received a letter from the Cubi Point O'Club. It was a bill for $75 to replace a window that had been broken by one (or some...) air wing members during the boat's last in port period at Subic/Cubi.
CAG sent a check for $150 and a message "We'll be back."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
From the origninal article:

Mabus said the tests will not be used for punitive purposes but to identify sailors in need of training, counseling or treatment.

So much for this test not being used for punative reasons...

Here's the thing. Is this test being used to ascertain being drunk for duty? If one is bonafide drunk, then by "non-punitive" is the command going to actively look away if someone blows a ridiculously high reading? In other words, if I know I'm showing up shitfaced, should I rush to the breathalyzer station before my boss recognizes visual signs of drunkeness so I get instant immunity? Somehow I don't think so. If one is just showing trace amounts from a night out, is that going to be used as evidence of a problem?

In any case, I'm sure some productive one way counseling will occur for those who pop on a breathalyzer test. And no career repercussions will ever occur for someone identified as needing treatment, because pro/cons or fit reps would never be influenced by the four weeks one spent at Pt. Loma "sobering up."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In any case, I'm sure some productive one way counseling will occur for those who pop on a breathalyzer test. And no career repercussions will ever occur for someone identified as needing treatment, because pro/cons or fit reps would never be influenced by the four weeks one spent at Pt. Loma "sobering up."

You are joking, right? If a person was in the running for the #1 competitive FITREP, then they popped on a breathalyzer, I'm certain that #1 would quickly vanish...COs and XOs have effectively finished careers for less than that.

Would one get help? Certainly. Would it affect your career? Definitely. I certainly wouldn't want to be the test subject.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
It's what happens when people stop being leaders and simply serve as a warden.
Leadership kinda sorta requires "followship" (is that a word?), at least at some basic level, for the whole thing to work. "Followship" requires a lot of stuff besides...clear orders/expectations/standards, understanding of same, peer self-regulation/pressure, support for the chain of command and compliance with lawful orders, you get the idea. When the followers say "fuck it...I'm on libs"...well, then you get the Warden response. There might be a lesson there, but damned if I know what it is...you guys and gals figure it out.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^ And leadership has a little to do with trusting that your folks will do the right thing (i.e., not show up for work drunk), yes?

Its insulting to think that a Chief can release a jet "safe for flight", a 19 year old can sign off the daily, and I can take the jet flying - but now we're all gonna have to blow first to get through the door. We have established procedures in place if we think someone shows up to work drunk (UCMJ? Fit for duty screenings?). This is just further neutering local commanders and preventing them from actually commanding their organizations.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, somebody, somewhere, thinks it's a problem in the Navy, so why not make everyone blow and go.

Just like the urinalysis program, this will be another tool in the CO's toolbox.

Remind me again how many mandatory random piss tests does a command have to do a quarter? I feel this will fall into that same category. Once the policy is established, it will require lots of tweaking to get it about right...much like the Navy's drug policy.

Anyone remember "THREE STRIKES and YOU'RE OUT!" drug policy? How about the "6-month Urinalysis Monitoring" drug policy. The current "ZERO TOLERANCE" drug policy didn't appear overnight, so there will be some growing pains implementing this new breathalyzer program.

-ea6bflyr ;)

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ And leadership has a little to do with trusting that your folks will do the right thing (i.e., not show up for work drunk), yes?

Its insulting to think that a Chief can release a jet "safe for flight", a 19 year old can sign off the daily, and I can take the jet flying - but now we're all gonna have to blow first to get through the door. We have established procedures in place if we think someone shows up to work drunk (UCMJ? Fit for duty screenings?). This is just further neutering local commanders and preventing them from actually commanding their organizations.
In 5 years, we're all going to wonder how we ever managed to get anything done without breathalyzers. :rolleyes:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, somebody, somewhere, thinks it's a problem in the Navy, so why not make everyone blow and go.

Just like the urinalysis program, this will be another tool in the CO's toolbox.

Remind me again how many mandatory random piss tests does a command have to do a quarter? I feel this will fall into that same category. Once the policy is established, it will require lots of tweaking to get it about right...much like the Navy's drug policy.

Anyone remember "THREE STRIKES and YOU'RE OUT!" drug policy? How about the "6-month Urinalysis Monitoring" drug policy. The current "ZERO TOLERANCE" drug policy didn't appear overnight, so there will be some growing pains implementing this new breathalyzer program.

-ea6bflyr ;)
I'm convinced that the reason this issue has so much visibility is because the reporting requirements have changed. Ten years ago, a DUI did not require a unit SITREP like it does today. The result is more visibility up echelon and the perception that there's a problem. In my 22 years, the incidence of DUIs or fit for duty problems has definitely gone down. I believe this is because of changes in society in general and creative leadership instituted at the O5 level. Back in the day, when I showed up "unfit" for duty, my LPO sent me home and chewed my ass the next day. Today, your BAC will be recorded at the door and your Mast will be automatically scheduled by Outlook.