• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Initiatives from SECNAV

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That would be tonight....Fat Yak at the Lord Robert with some fish & chips.

But you mere mortals don't seem to appreciate "the Show"...

Next stop, Osaka - shochu & ramen. (After recurrent next week in Seattle.)

We do. You old bastards just won't retire/croak fast enough for us to get a shot at it....:D

phrogpilot73

It all gives a new meaning to the term "trust, but verify."
One of the most overused phrases in the US Military IMHO. More justification of micromanagement if you ask me. I know my Marines. I know which ones I can task and just wait for a response, I also know which ones I have to keep a closer eye on. The more and more we promote people who hit the right wickets, without understanding if they're good leaders or not, the more this attitude is reinforced and passed on. Four more years...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the most overused phrases in the US Military IMHO. More justification of micromanagement if you ask me. I know my Marines. I know which ones I can task and just wait for a response, I also know which ones I have to keep a closer eye on. The more and more we promote people who hit the right wickets, without understanding if they're good leaders or not, the more this attitude is reinforced and passed on. Four more years...

This. Every time there's a general command wide tasker, i.e. doing your DTS for the month, filling out another page 13, urinalysis, etc, I get directed to report completion of this crap to at least 2 people. OK, if I was consistently on hit lists for neglecting this stuff I'd understand, but I think since I've demonstrated my ability to be a big girl and do it on my own I don't need pestering. I feel like I'm in Office Space half the time with 8 people reminding me about the cover sheet on my TPS report. Last week I was on the urinalysis list. I had peed just before I saw my name posted, so obviously I needed to chug some water before I was ready to go. In the span of the 1.5 hours when I was refilling my bladder no fewer than 3 people came to bug me as to why I hadn't reported to urinalysis yet, despite the fact I had several more hours in which to go do it. My eye just twitched in response.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This. Every time there's a general command wide tasker, i.e. doing your DTS for the month, filling out another page 13, urinalysis, etc, I get directed to report completion of this crap to at least 2 people. OK, if I was consistently on hit lists for neglecting this stuff I'd understand, but I think since I've demonstrated my ability to be a big girl and do it on my own I don't need pestering. I feel like I'm in Office Space half the time with 8 people reminding me about the cover sheet on my TPS report. Last week I was on the urinalysis list. I had peed just before I saw my name posted, so obviously I needed to chug some water before I was ready to go. In the span of the 1.5 hours when I was refilling my bladder no fewer than 3 people came to bug me as to why I hadn't reported to urinalysis yet, despite the fact I had several more hours in which to go do it. My eye just twitched in response.

Maybe that's your problem. You're too proactive. Other than the "necessary" GMT stuff (IA, PII, etc), I didn't do any of the GMT for years. No one ever came after me. The other day, I think I might have been on the pee list, but they put it up after I was in a classroom all day, so I didn't even see the list until well after the deadline time. No one said a word. So basically, the secret to being off anyone's radar is apparently to be a complete unprofessional. I'm glad we've had this conversation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe that's your problem. You're too proactive. Other than the "necessary" GMT stuff (IA, PII, etc), I didn't do any of the GMT for years. No one ever came after me. The other day, I think I might have been on the pee list, but they put it up after I was in a classroom all day, so I didn't even see the list until well after the deadline time. No one said a word. So basically, the secret to being off anyone's radar is apparently to be a complete unprofessional. I'm glad we've had this conversation.
Agreed. Some people get pestered because they need it, some because they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some people learn not to pester certain people because they know they'll get grief for it. If the deadline for completing IA training version X is the end of the FY, don't come bothering me about it in July - you're not going to enjoy our interaction. :D

Brett

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The first person to bug me about a urinalysis before 1000 gets invited to hold the cup for me at 1300...

Once a HIGHLY ineffectual and generally stupid DH told LTJG RLSO that it looked bad if the officers weren't the first ones off the pee hit list. He was fired by the CO two days later and then did back to back IAs (by choice)....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The first person to bug me about a urinalysis before 1000 gets invited to hold the cup for me at 1300...

Once a HIGHLY ineffectual and generally stupid DH told LTJG RLSO that it looked bad if the officers weren't the first ones off the pee hit list. He was fired by the CO two days later and then did back to back IAs (by choice)....
Yeah, because that's on the top of every trooper's priority list. Idiot.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That would've been sooo tempting to recommend that he volunteer himself for meat watch witness duty. However, as any smart LTJG knows, discretion is the better part of valor.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor

You're not long for VP...

they-live-poster.jpg

P3 F0

None
The breathalyzer is here, sort of. From MCPON:
Leaders:

As part of the Secretary of the Navy's 21st Century Sailor and Marine initiative, we will implement a Navywide Breathalyzer program focused on education and awareness. Many of you know this emerged as a result of the Submarine Force's success in significantly reducing alcohol-related incidents by strategically deploying breathalyzers. While the Sub Force's process worked well for them and will serve as a basic model for Fleet roll-out, their community has unique factors that will not apply on a broader scale. Accordingly, we are currently working though the details of the beta test to determine the most effective approach for Fleet implementation.

Navy is selecting sea and shore components from several TYCOMS, as well as a major shore installation, for participation in the test. Beta testing will be conducted using a draft policy generated by OPNAV. Tests will last approximately 90 days. All data collected will be consolidated under a summary recommendation then forwarded to OPNAV to be considered for implementation into the final policy. This process was established to make certain Fleet input/feedback was included to ensure the breathalyzer program, when fully instituted, is a tool that benefits warfighting organizations and their Sailors.

Currently there are a number of unanswered questions with regards to the draft breathalyzer policy: Rest assured that Fleet input is part of the drafting process, and the beta test will ensure that the policy, when finalized, is indeed executable. Your participation and cooperation during this beta test will be critical to the success of this program.
These beta tests always turn out so well. Hopefully some people on these boards will be a part of the lucky few so they can report on what a great, morale-boosting/beneficial/educating program it's going to be.