• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy helo community....what's the latest news?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If it is any consolation, more than one of us were bemused at why we and HS would have a different syllabus when we would be combining shortly regardless. The intent was that having a prior-established syllabus would help create a 'merger of equals'. What we actually did was create a culture of tactical mass-production, and I think HC lost the culture of good stick and rudder skills that used to be so important. Not to mention the fact that little thought was given to integrating some of us older types that had a lot of experience with some of those missions (mostly as training assets to NSW and EOD).

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
HSC Update

Dudes it's been a while, hope everyone's ok. Some updates...

- Armed Helo; first kits will go to HSC-3 this year, then HSC-8, they'll transition after they return from the next deployment. HSC-25 will get one for the USS Freedom (LCS-1) deployment next year...or the next...or the year after that.....
- OAMCM in coming soon, AN/AQS-20A scheduled to finish Oprational Test in Sep, AMNS is close behind.
- HSC(CVW) will provide 2 a/c for VERTREP, HSC(EXP) will do their own, so basically everybody will do it...so get used to the idea.
- MH-60R (HSM) will be the primary platform for Anti Surface.
- Guns, they are M-230, GAU-17 and GAU-21, that's what we're buying.
- Riverine Squadrons are here...HSC support is a requirement but currently not part of the Helo Master Plan (not enough 60S)
- Focused HCS NSW mission will NOT be adopted by HSC-84/85 with the 60S, it is an HSC primary mission area among many others, not a full time SOCOM asset, those days are gone.
- HAL is not coming back...the mission is!!!!
- M-230 30mm forward firing gun (same as the Apache) is being tested as a proof of concept thanks to an NSAWC small boat tactics requirement study, not part of the MH-60S program yet but it's getting attention very quickly.
- HSC(CVW) will not do OAMCM but will undergo ground/sim at FRS.

If you come to SD for NHA you'll get the latest straight from all the O-6's mouth, if you've never been to one then you absolutely have to. This event is endorsed by all commands...so put in your request ASAP!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, what are you guys going to do with all those nifty new weapons that the SWOs/Strike Group Commander still won't let you employ? ;)

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think CSAR

Hey, I'm on your side. I loaded the first operational squadron Hellfire shot on the East coast back in '96, but to my knowledges, one still hasn't been fired in combat. If they're going to continue to plus up your weapons, you might as well use them. In the meantime, I'm laughing with you...

Brett

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I wish they'd show this thread on powerpoint at the next HT community brief.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the meantime, I'm laughing with you...

A truly annoying aspect of ALL the Navy helos. Especially when I know of several instances of crews all the way down to "Weapons-Port Forward/LRD-Armed" on the checklist, only to be called off.

MasterBates

Gator, that was the most frustrating thing to me..

We were to the point where "Release Consent" was the only thing that needed to be pressed.. And called off by SWOs afraid to take action.

The 60B can do some amazing stuff for a 300# girl in a size 10 dress.
The 60R is all that and more..

The tactical achillies heel is the fact that you have to get permission from SWOs to do anything..

Maybe Airwing HSM sqadrons will change that..