• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

National OPO

@National OPO @NavyOffRec @RUFiO181

I'm curious in why the sudden increase in the sna acceptance rate?

Actually, both the Pilot and NFO selection rates have been in the 90+% over the last 2 years due to significant goal increases in both programs - all a matter of supply and demand. This most recent board actually saw the selection rate come down into the 70% range. So it has actually gone down a little compared to what it has been over the last 1-2 years. Unsure yet exactly what our accession goals might be in FY15, but should the goals remain relatively high, then NRC will continue to expect higher-than-normal selection rates for both Pilot and NFO. Should our goals go down while the volume of qualified and competitive Pilot and NFO applicants remain high, then would expect the selection rates to start to creep back down as less applicants get selected.

IDC Applicant

All - the current AC IDC board is still going on. We are hoping to get their results to us by next Monday/Tuesday which would allow NRC to then release the results by 14May to the fleet and NRDs. Boards are asked to NOT select based on accession quotas (actual or estimated), but instead select the "best qualified" applicants as they see them. Ideally, we would hope that a community would select ALL applicants that "would make an excellent officer in our community" and allow NRC to worry about managing our accession quotas. That said, we do have to take into account anticipated FY15 accession goals and try to remain under those estimates until we get something more concrete from the Navy leadership in DC, which we wont probably get until closer to 01Oct if not later. So for the summer OCS classes, we fill based on estimates and "here is what we think will be your goals" as provided by Navy leadership in DC.

Are you still expecting to be able to push results to the Fleet tomorrow?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Actually, both the Pilot and NFO selection rates have been in the 90+% over the last 2 years due to significant goal increases in both programs - all a matter of supply and demand. This most recent board actually saw the selection rate come down into the 70% range. So it has actually gone down a little compared to what it has been over the last 1-2 years. Unsure yet exactly what our accession goals might be in FY15, but should the goals remain relatively high, then NRC will continue to expect higher-than-normal selection rates for both Pilot and NFO. Should our goals go down while the volume of qualified and competitive Pilot and NFO applicants remain high, then would expect the selection rates to start to creep back down as less applicants get selected.
Yeppers!

I am so lucky regarding timing when I was selected for AOCS back in 1986...the selection rate for pilots must have been at least 95+% back then...heck, my college GPA was 2.5...and I distinctly remember my OR stating that the minimum GPA required was 2.0. They were really hurting for pilots in those days. There is no way I would be competitive now...no way at all. Again, I feel pretty dang lucky!

National OPO

@National OPO, out of curiosity sake, what factors leads to SNA/NFO quotas for OCS?

Our OCS quotas are all determined by the "needs of the Navy" to fill communities and Navy manning requirements. If "big Navy" says that they need ### new Pilots to fill squadron billets in the next 2-4 years, then NRC (along with the USNA and NROTC) get goaled with bringing in that # of Pilot Ensigns. Whatever the fleet says that it needs, NRC (along with USNA and NROTC) are goaled to provide it. Since the USNA and NROTC take 4 years to "grow" a new Ensign, NRC goals fluctuate more frequently in response to unplanned growth in some years (=higher accession goals) or perhaps accession cuts due to budgetary constraints. So NRC is the "shock absorber" to the USNA and NROTC to meet near-term officer accession goals.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Our OCS quotas are all determined by the "needs of the Navy" to fill communities and Navy manning requirements. If "big Navy" says that they need ### new Pilots to fill squadron billets in the next 2-4 years, then NRC (along with the USNA and NROTC) get goaled with bringing in that # of Pilot Ensigns. Whatever the fleet says that it needs, NRC (along with USNA and NROTC) are goaled to provide it. Since the USNA and NROTC take 4 years to "grow" a new Ensign, NRC goals fluctuate more frequently in response to unplanned growth in some years (=higher accession goals) or perhaps accession cuts due to budgetary constraints. So NRC is the "shock absorber" to the USNA and NROTC to meet near-term officer accession goals.

More detailed sense, thanks!!

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Good way to explain it is that it's a "water hose", it can be shut off or turned on when needed. Also for aviation if the needs change (need more or need to cut) they do so through raising/lowering the NSS in API.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
@National OPO I just wanted to get your thoughts on when the CIRIMS would be updated to reflect the May board results to PRO REC Y status? Just wanted to know when it would be good to check back in with my OR on it. On Thursday he indicated that it was still at PROBOARD status.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
Our OCS quotas are all determined by the "needs of the Navy" to fill communities and Navy manning requirements. If "big Navy" says that they need ### new Pilots to fill squadron billets in the next 2-4 years, then NRC (along with the USNA and NROTC) get goaled with bringing in that # of Pilot Ensigns.
Is there an "historical attrition rate" factored in somehow? Just for the sake of discussion, if "the need" is "X", is the input goal "X x 110%"? Just curious...