• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Bevo16

pilot
Well, since you guys turned out to be a lousy source of information :icon_tong, I have taken on the task of purchasing and testing this little guy myself:

183193_10150089602500653_698645652_6646569_323412_n.jpg

She came home with me on Tuesday night ($599 with the night sights), and I'll have my first range report later today. Fit and finish are perfect, the action is smooth, and it even comes with a neat little slim fit holster that could be used either inside or outside the belt. Ergonomics are great, and I am looking forward to shooting a .380 without personal injury.

Stay tuned.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'll be curious to read your thoughts on it. It's not a bad looking little gun, either. The 238 Rosewood?

Any thoughts right off the bat with an exposed hammer v. snagging in pocket carry?

Bevo16

pilot
I got through about 60 rounds today. Accuracy was very good, trigger is great, don't anticipate any problems with snagging the hammer when carrying it.

The reason I only got through 60 rounds is because it suffered some kind of major mechanical failure. After not having any feed problems, 2 consecutive rounds jammed. I noticed on clearing the second one that there was major slack in the slide. It would still move the full range of motion, but if you push on the top of the action it unlocks and the slide moves back. If you shake it back and forth, it rattles like a bass lure. When I try to load a round from the magazine, there isn't enough spring pressure to push the round out. I suspect that the recoil spring broke off somewhere close to the end, but I am not even going to bother taking it apart to try and figure it out.

Yea, I'm fucking pissed.

Luckily, my guy at the gun store is going to take care of all of the CS issues with Sig for me when I return the weapon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how that goes.

I do have some nice side-by-side pictures of the Sig with a Colt Pocket Mustang if anybody wants me to post them.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Holy hell, 60 rounds and it went T/U? Could you even break it down to look at it?

After hearing a lot of grumblings about US Sig's QA slipping in recent years, I still didn't want to believe it. I guess I'm kind of glad that my SAS was built in the custom shop, and my 220 was made in Germany...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
After Gaijin helped with some info via PM, he's reminded me about my latest purchase and lack of Proof of Life. Here's a pic, albeit of crappy quality. It was the end of the day and my cell phone doesn't have a flash. 200 rounds so far and no issues.

Attachments

• Sig.jpg
    Sig.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 48

Bevo16

pilot
Holy hell, 60 rounds and it went T/U? Could you even break it down to look at it?

I could have, but I said "fuck it". It's broke, it's defective and I want Sig to fucking fix it and not not give them any excuse to say that I did something to it when I took it apart.

Like all of the other gun junkies on this thread, I was really excited about this gun and was looking forward to it being my carry weapon. I don't just want it fixed, I want an explanation and an assurance that it's an isolated incident. I'd really like to get it back and be able to trust it.

Bevo16

pilot
My Sig is fixed, but that's just a testimony to the good customer service at my gun shop. The smith there took one look at it and said that the cause was a recoil spring that was not properly heat treated. Since they had 7-8 more in stock, they just took the recoil spring from one of the ugly rainbow finish models. They will just have Sig send them a new spring and then replace that one.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
That's why I try to buy locally when I can. Because I'd rather deal face-to-face with someone I've built at least a bit of rapport up with, than a faceless corporate entity that may or may not give two shits about my problem. My G22 shit the bed a while back, and instead of just replacing the responsible parts, the guy at the local shop (Glock certified) sent it to another, more experienced Glock guy down the road. The second smith is a bit backed up, but offered to take care of the problem, iron out the little over travel left in the trigger, and polish the internals for the price the first guy quoted me.

There was a thread over on THR today about someone's godawful rainbow 238 mangling the hell out of casings. The new posts add up really fast over there, and their search function is questionable at times. I haven't been able to locate it again, but just FYI.

banana380

pilot
Wanted to buy a 1911 this year, being 2011. Had decided on SA Mil-Spec a while back for my first 1911... Stainless turns me on but they had a Mint Pre-owned Parkerized for $550... So I got it *) . 50 rds FMJ and 8 Golden Sabers this morning w/ no problems whatsoever, shoots like a dream (esp. for a low/mid grade stock 1911 ;) ).

SpringfieldMil-Spec.jpg

Bevo16

pilot
I finally got in touch with Sig customer service regarding the defective recoil spring in my P-238 and this is what I learned:

The problem was noted early in the production run, but the "fix" did not start going out until late last year. Any Sig P-238 with a born on date prior to December 2010 has the recoil spring that is prone to failure. The new recoil spring is flat, and they have not had any issues with it. They were "very happy to send me a new upgraded spring" at no charge.

I mentioned the word "recall" and the rep got very defensive saying that there has not been a recall issued for this model. Since I was getting a new one mailed to me for free, I didn't feel like pushing the issue.

The Sig Forums have had a lot of discussion lately regarding the quality at Sig going down since the company changed hands. I would hate for that to be true, but I have to look at the evidence in front of me. I paid $600 (which is roughly double the cost of the S&W Bodyguard) for a gun that was defective and didn't even get through 2 boxes of ammo before failing. Even worse, the company knew that the part was defective and instead of issuing a recall and getting the guns out there fixed (like the one that I had which was sitting on a gun store shelf for 4 months after the fix started to come out of the factory), they are letting consumers buy faulty products and then deal with them one at a time after failure. This is no way to run a business, and I really hope that they can get their act together.

A customer should not have to turn to multiple sites on the internet to cobble together solutions to a well know factory problem. This was identified, and allowed to fester. People who carry guns like this need to know that the gun they carry is going to work when they need it. Sig planted a seed of doubt in my mind regarding this really expensive piece of gear, and that pisses me off.

Circa 2007, I was a certified Sig hater. That was mostly because my limited exposure to their products were the M-11s that we carried at my squadron. Those weapons were functional, but were rode-hard, put-up-wet pieces of garbage. A friendship with a couple of SEALs statined here with me at PERS changed that perspective, and I am the proud owner of a badass P-226 Navy that has been a perfect hangun for me (easily 1000 rounds with no problems).

I am not going to say that Sig has gone to hell, but this is going to be in the back of my mind the next time I go to make a purchase.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I have several hundred rounds through my 238 with no issues. Great carry weapon.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Just picked up a new marlin 60 for plinking. 145 bucks.

Looking for a cheap scope to throw on it, as the iron sights that were shit when i started shooting a model 60 when I was 7 are the same as the sights they are putting on them 20 years later. I remember it being much heavier and much bigger when I was a little kid, but it was my first boom stick and I picked it up for sentimental value, mostly.