• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

Yankee Uniform Tango
Im personally waiting for when the Air Force comes out and tells all the other services that they cant paint their aircraft Grey. That is their color and they've been doing it and need people to easily identify their Jets on the battlefield as Air Force jets.... But that wont happen because everybody would laugh at them for acting like retards.

Btw is there any reason why Army helos are still painted black/OD? :)

...with some exceptions, of course: http://www.airliners.net/photo/1177212/L/

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Both spellings are correct - I was unable to find a definitive spelling of the AF color before posting (there are links for both "Air Superiority Grey" and "Air Superiority Gray" on the 'net)...mebbe Hacker15 can give me the official USAF pantone color name...

I honestly did not know that... Boy do I feel like a jackass.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Both spellings are correct - I was unable to find a definitive spelling of the AF color before posting (there are links for both "Air Superiority Grey" and "Air Superiority Gray" on the 'net)...mebbe Hacker15 can give me the official USAF pantone color name...

The RAF might use Air Superiority Grey. In America we should be using Air Superiority Gray.

Lawman

None
Btw is there any reason why Army helos are still painted black/OD? :)

...with some exceptions, of course: http://www.airliners.net/photo/1177212/L/

2632249261_65bea8bdd7.jpg

Not all... But if we ever do have to fight a real war against a real army driving us back to NOE flight (ie Korea) the Green will be very useful. The unit Im in did actually fly with the Carolina guard guys that painted their Apaches gray though. They were apparently a bitch to see when your used to "Roger traffic 2 o'clock at 4km" and seeing a big green Apache and instead finding nothing that jumps out at you.

1rotorhead

pilot
2632249261_65bea8bdd7.jpg

They were apparently a bitch to see when your used to "Roger traffic 2 o'clock at 4km" and seeing a big green Apache and instead finding nothing that jumps out at you.

Isn't that the point? Don't you want the bad guys looking up to have a hard time seeing you?

Lawman

None
Isn't that the point? Don't you want the bad guys looking up to have a hard time seeing you?

I think its more a matter of "Is this worth repainting against an enemy whose standoff distance is far shorter than we can be seen visibly especially at night."

I dont agree with it, I just feel like thats what the bean counters have come up with as a reasoning behind it. We do still do a lot of practice NOE flight and there is still a lot of unhappy places with vegetation and we dont maintain a quick easy way to repaint these aircraft.

1rotorhead

pilot
I think its more a matter of "Is this worth repainting against an enemy whose standoff distance is far shorter than we can be seen visibly especially at night."

I dont agree with it, I just feel like thats what the bean counters have come up with as a reasoning behind it. We do still do a lot of practice NOE flight and there is still a lot of unhappy places with vegetation and we dont maintain a quick easy way to repaint these aircraft.

I get you still do NOE. But isn't the main threat for rotary wing from the ground? So looking up wouldn't gray be better than a dark color? Actually, wouldn't gray would be better everywhere but over a green environment?

Lawman

None
I get you still do NOE. But isn't the main threat for rotary wing from the ground? So looking up wouldn't gray be better than a dark color? Actually, wouldn't gray would be better everywhere but over a green environment?

Take an area like this
mountains.jpg

If you can see me from a lower altitude than me flying NOE, its because I flew right over your head. At that point grey, green, or purple your not gonna miss me. People on the ground trying to pick out aircraft flying at NOE are looking at a very low slant angle, so anything other than vast open flat desert gives me lots of stuff to hide behind and get close to you. Best way to spot me in that kind of terrain is to sit on a hilltop or ridge line and try and pick me out amongst all the background. At that point green is good.

Its actually a principle of Firing Position selection, picking a background that you can hide against same as you wouldnt want to shoot into the sun, or in front of a full moon.