• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

HueyCobra8151

pilot
To be fair though, things we get now that "suck" are still much better than they were, even a few years ago.

I loved spending an hour every night for that mirror shine and razor creases (and the half hour at lunch to touch it all up...naturally) as much as the next guy, but MARPAT is a more effective camouflage that is much easier to care for than it's predecessor.

The new packs may not be 100%, but they are at least better than the ALICE pack. Same with the body armor, 'Nam style flak jackets f-ing sucked hard.

Of course, I still keep my Cadillacs in a box in the garage. One day we will see the light and go back to black boots!

I feel bad for Navy dudes wearing the blue diggies. I hope they hook you guys up with something better soon...it's just depressing.

KBayDog

Oddly enough, Semper Fu a couple weeks ago was the first time I broke out my CIF-issued MTV!

Uh oh, you're fooked. Good luck trying to return *gulp* USED CIF gear. They expect it to be in new condition when you return it. (Ask around if you doubt me.)

"Sweep and stomp" bitches!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Uh oh, you're fooked. Good luck trying to return *gulp* USED CIF gear. They expect it to be in new condition when you return it. (Ask around if you doubt me.)

"Sweep and stomp" bitches!

I always wondered what happened if one actually used the items in the "MTV repair kit" to actually repair an MTV, or used the items in the IFAK. "You owe us $150 for that plastic buckle and that clotting agent you used when you got shot!"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The new packs may not be 100%, but they are at least better than the ALICE pack.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

This shows you've never had to wear a pack with body armor. The ILBE blows. It is designed to sit flush on your back and that's the only way it's lap belt helps to support weight.

The ALICE is perfect for carrying a ruck with armor, as the frame clears SAPIs and still sits on your lower back.

We actually went and drew a shitload of DRMOd ALICE packs prior to heading out. In fact, the most popular packs in 03-land are the TacticalTailor ALICE packs. Those things are awesome.

After having to train and wear packs in grunt land, I'm fully behind going back to an ALICE design. While the original is a bit small, the TT ones are perfect. Shame they're $230.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered what happened if one actually used the items in the "MTV repair kit" to actually repair an MTV, or used the items in the IFAK. "You owe us $150 for that plastic buckle and that clotting agent you used when you got shot!"

Blood or hyd fluid = DRMO. Use that information however you like.

Flying Toaster

None

That's something the Marines don't want to see happen, claiming the uniform is their property and that Marines should be distinguished from other soldiers.

If they stay away from MARPAT, this would avoid a clash over colors with the Marines Corps. Last year, Marine Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent said the MARPAT design is "proprietary."

"It's important those designs are reserved for Marines. We just need to make sure each of our designs is unique to each service," he said, according to the Army Times.

I want to assume this is a journalist misrepresenting views as per normal. If not that's the one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Last time I checked the goal of camo was not to "distinguish" anyone from anything. Despite everything else they've turned these uniform decisions into, it's fundamental purpose is to keep people from dying and we're all on the same side. If the Army decides the MARPAT is better, the Marines should chalk it up in the victory column and assist with transition as much as possible.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
GEEEZUM..... We JUST fielded Multi Cam in the Army, what on Earth are we going to do with yet another uniform?! I've got too many different ones!

Guess the real thing that has always puzzled me about this is the molle gear and the vests, somehow we got green to go with DCUs, then we got DCU stuff in, then we got ACU and the rest of the gear changed again, how many vests is the army going to make for each soldier. I have yet to get a reused vest issued to me out of the last three I recieved, so that is a new one with new camo every time......at that rate we could keep you guys in your jets getting beaucoup flight hours with all the money spent on gear. Meanwhile, we can't get enough freaking frag grendades, WTF over?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I want to assume this is a journalist misrepresenting views as per normal. If not that's the one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Last time I checked the goal of camo was not to "distinguish" anyone from anything. Despite everything else they've turned these uniform decisions into, it's fundamental purpose is to keep people from dying and we're all on the same side. If the Army decides the MARPAT is better, the Marines should chalk it up in the victory column and assist with transition as much as possible.

See previous conversations where naval spec war dudes didn't want others wearing the same pattern, when Marines didn't want other's wearing their pattern. You're correct that it shouldn't be about distinguishing one from another. One might think that there would be regional/theater specific patterns worn regardless of service - how's that for jointness? (give me my JPME credit...)! This would also force us to revisit whether everyone is a "warrior" and whether everyone everywhere needs to be rocking digi-cam. This might rock the boat though - admitting that not everyone is a combatant, not everyone is a "warrior" - not everyone needs camouflage...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
See previous conversations where naval spec war dudes didn't want others wearing the same pattern, when Marines didn't want other's wearing their pattern. You're correct that it shouldn't be about distinguishing one from another. One might think that there would be regional/theater specific patterns worn regardless of service how's that for jointness (give me my JPME credit...). This would also force us to revisit whether everyone is a "warrior" and whether everyone everywhere needs to be rocking digi-cam. This might rock the boat though - admitting that not everyone is a combatant, not everyone is a "warrior" - not everyone needs camouflage...

No JPME credit until you capture this thought in a 14-17 page paper with footnotes!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Its been me Clausewitz and the golf channel the last couple of nights. Noted there wasn't much dissent with the meat and potatoes of the post though.

Threadjack alert.....

For further thoughts on the idea of 'everyone a warrior', see: A More Perfect Military: How the Constitution Can Make Our Military Stronger by Diane Mazur http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/diane-h-mazur/a-more-perfect-military/_/R-400000000000000310190

I recently finished this book and enjoyed a healthy and respectful exchange of emails with the author about some of her ideas. You'll not agree with a lot of what she has to say - but it'll provoke some introspective thoughts.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Is it just me or does it seem as though the entire US Military is currently undergoing a massive Identity Crisis.

They Navy feels like in order to be 'warriors' we need to dress like 'warriors', forget the fact that we have 230 years of tradition... WAR FIGHTING tradition. Hell we have more tradition in Naval Aviation than the Air Force does period. Do we really need to have a 'who are we?' conversation?

The Army can't find a uniform it likes, or a new gun, or cover, or damn near anything. I challenge them to be more indecisive... I doubt they can.

The Air Force is still trying to find out who it is, like a post-pubescent recent high-school graduate teen who just showed up at a state university and is experimenting with his own 'unique' style. Digital Vietnam tiger stripe, really guys? Seriously?
Their longest standing tradition apart from wearing that cute little ascot is their 'high speed' bird logo, and thats only about 10 years old.

The only ones who seem to have their heads out of their assholes are the Marines, and it sounds like their are having their own issues to deal with.

MasterBates

I think the NWU is all that is wrong with the Navy today, summed up in a uniform.

Master on the FB JOPA Page said:
Anyone else think the NWU is all that is wrong with the Navy today in Uniform Form? No tradition. Problem looking for a solution. Was supposed to "eliminate extra uniforms" but I had to buy that, and got rid of nothing else. Millions spent with a war going on, when we can't get paint or parts for ships and planes. Oh, and it is a ill thought out attempt to make us look like "Warriors".

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, multiple Prior Es have told me the NWU is much better than the old utilities. Sure, you still throw overalls in to paint with, but let of the BS maintenance you had with the older ones. As for Os? Probably not as worth it.