• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
so this begs the question - do we design new uniforms to make people happy or keep the fully functional ones we've had for years and keep with our history, culture, and traditions? NWU fits none of these. Khaki shirts and black pants?

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
so this begs the question - do we design new uniforms to make people happy or keep the fully functional ones we've had for years and keep with our history, culture, and traditions? NWU fits none of these. Khaki shirts and black pants?

Will you take trades? Black beret plus cash for a green flight suit? You can't get a deal like that anywhere else.....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The only ones who seem to have their heads out of their assholes are the Marines, and it sounds like their are having their own issues to deal with.

I get the idea that we don't like to play with others. Maybe it's because we're afraid we'll disappear if we do. Anyway to stand out and make ourselves different from everyone else..... Something about how we're taught that people in the Gov want to see the Marine Corps absorbed into the other services every few years.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I still can't take that argument very seriously, that the "government" wants to see the Marine Corps disbanded. As long as there is a United States, there will be a Marine Corps. Removing it, at this point, would be tantamount to moving the capitol to Omaha. It's not going to happen.

As to the uniform issue. Again, I don't get it. The purpose of a working uniform is to work. That's it. If it does the job for which it is designed better than anything else, that's what you wear. This is one of the few issues that I sense almost and insecurity on the part of the Marine Corps leadership. As if to say, "if you can't immediately identify who the Marine is on the battle field, we might as well not be Marines." That's ludicrous. The Army should do what ever is best for it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I'm sure some of it is real and some of it is Marine Corps lore, which we love to make up all the time, but according to our mythistory enemies have distinguished us (Yellow Legs in Korea, Black Boots in Iraq, White Sleeves in Somalia, Digital Pattern now, etc...) and basically not fucked with us if they could avoid it.

In my mind this is the thinking that has resulted in USMC leadership kicking back so hard on others trying to use the MARPAT design.

Mythistory. Awesome.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As to the uniform issue. Again, I don't get it. The purpose of a working uniform is to work. That's it.

I downloaded the 1947 Navy Uniform Regulations. There were 3 working uniforms that I could find. They were all business style suits (including Aviation Working Greens). How did we transition "working" to mean an office setting to that where dungarees once ruled? We're using a sloppy looking uniform so that it doesn't appear that we're sloppy (with grease, paint, etc.)? How does that make sense?

Lawman

None
Anyway to stand out and make ourselves different from everyone else.

Believe me nobody has any trouble picking Marines out in uniform. Nobody had any trouble picking out Marines when they wore BDU's with the rest of the Military either. You got the 8 point cover, you got the "we roll our sleeves this way!" attitude, you have the Eagle Globe and Anchor, You have pin on rank thats nearly impossible to see at distance when everybody else has been sewing theirs on.

Hell nobody has trouble finding you in civies. Just look for the braided belt, cockroach runway haircut, and dip lip.

What the Marine Corps has done by sticking an EGA on everything they wear/use and then screaming when somebody else touching it is the military equivalent of a 5 year old licking all the M&Ms so nobody else can have any.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What the Marine Corps has done by sticking an EGA on everything they wear/use and then screaming when somebody else touching it is the military equivalent of a 5 year old licking all the M&Ms so nobody else can have any.

I like to remind Jarheads that their cammie pattern is a development of our northerly cousins, the canucks. Fearsome warrior culture, and all. They usually retort "nu uh, ours are different," and then pout.

KBayDog

And don't forget the jorts...

You never forget the jorts! Sadly, the ubiquitous polo shirt has gone by the wayside, replaced with over-sized Ed Hardy threads (usually purchased at the MCX).

A good Marine also has a desert McDigi-knockoff backpack with him at all times.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
You never forget the jorts! Sadly, the ubiquitous polo shirt has gone by the wayside, replaced with over-sized Ed Hardy threads (usually purchased at the MCX).

A good Marine also has a desert McDigi-knockoff backpack with him at all times.

Slippery slope, my friends, slippery slope. Next thing you know, they'll be addressing the Gunny as "Dude".

Lawman

None
Im personally waiting for when the Air Force comes out and tells all the other services that they cant paint their aircraft Grey. That is their color and they've been doing it and need people to easily identify their Jets on the battlefield as Air Force jets.... But that wont happen because everybody would laugh at them for acting like retards.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Im personally waiting for when the Air Force comes out and tells all the other services that they cant paint their aircraft Grey. That is their color and they've been doing it and need people to easily identify their Jets on the battlefield as Air Force jets.... But that wont happen because everybody would laugh at them for acting like retards.
That color is actually called "Air Superiority Gray".
Seriously.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I think it's safe to say that this is / will be the gayest thing I have heard / read in all of 2011.

Also, fixed it for you.
Both spellings are correct - I was unable to find a definitive spelling of the AF color before posting (there are links for both "Air Superiority Grey" and "Air Superiority Gray" on the 'net)...mebbe Hacker15 can give me the official USAF pantone color name...