• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

UMichfly

pilot
None
It sounds like just a creative advertising campaign. A kick in the nuts is still a kick in the nuts, even if it's called a "character building exercise" ;).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So i just got a letter from the marine officer selection team in manhattan, advertising OCS as a 10-week internship where you earn $5,700 over the summer and are then under no obligation to join the marines or the armed services.

Is this some new program/change, or are they just plain lying?

I mean i'm probably gonna call/write and ask anyway, but I'm wondering if anybody here's heard of this.

There are people out there who think the only way to become an officer is to go to an Academy or do ROTC.

I'd gotten it in my head that the Marines get the majority of their officers through OCS. Crazy?

The advertising makes sense to me at any rate...

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
They have called it an internship for as long as I can remember and I guess in the technical since It kind of is considering that its a summer job where you undergo "practical?" training and, pending the outcome, could lead to a career after college. IF you complete OCS, its completely up to you whether you want to take the commission or not.

Although, in my experience, many of the people who go in thinking that its an internship get a big surprise when they find out that its very much so a "bootcamp style" environment.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Yes Rag, they're 'just plain lying'. :icon_rage

First off - You get paid, but nobody goes into this actually thinking it's an 'internship' in the sense that it going to be me telling you to go fetch me a fu&king latte, okay? You're going to be evaluated to see if you have what it takes to lead Marines in my Corps. It's a sales pitch to get you interested. Are you?

Second off- Man up.

Yes Rag, they're 'just plain lying'. :icon_rage

First off - You get paid, but nobody goes into this actually thinking it's an 'internship' in the sense that it going to be me telling you to go fetch me a fu&king latte, okay? .

....we actually had a kid from yale who said that out loud. The SIs then consequently shit on him...

Crowbar

None
Here's an old thread where a student trying to get internship credit for OCS was denied.

The brochure you got sounds like "ingenuity in recruiting" at best. Points for creativity, FAIL for promising you a rose garden.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
So i just got a letter from the marine officer selection team in manhattan, advertising OCS as a 10-week internship where you earn $5,700 over the summer and are then under no obligation to join the marines or the armed services.

Is this some new program/change, or are they just plain lying?

I mean i'm probably gonna call/write and ask anyway, but I'm wondering if anybody here's heard of this.

Heres a thread where the OP was contemplating on whether or not he should take the commission.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139562&highlight=COMMISSION

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I wish they would give me internship credit for OCS! It certainly would make for a much more relaxed summer before my time in goose poop land.

UORBulldog

That ad "slogan" has been around for a while, I remember one that used that line on a poster at the OSO office I first went to like 5 years ago. I thought it was funny. Kind of like the "We don't promise a rose garden" poster

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I was given that line too in 1997. Have no fear though..... you will intern as an Officer Candidate in lovely Quantico, VA.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Overview of tests @ OCS

I've been studying the knowledge and was wondering how many tests are during combined/OCC.

The stuff I have says:

GMS I
Land Nav
GMS II
Marine Corps History
Leadership
Tactics
Drill

Also is there any of those I should focus on moreso than others?

Thanks

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Seriously man, everything you need to know for these tests you will learn while at OCS. If you want to prepare - run, do a bunch of pullups, and then go run some more. Repeat.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Seriously man, everything you need to know for these tests you will learn while at OCS. If you want to prepare - run, do a bunch of pullups, and then go run some more. Repeat.

If I know it before then its more time to sleep or do other things to help. I can't PT 24 hours a day.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
If I know it before then its more time to sleep or do other things to help. I can't PT 24 hours a day.

In theory your attitude is good, but honestly any study time would be better spent memorizing gouge like the code of conduct, chain of command, general orders of a sentry, etc. And start getting into the mindset that you CAN PT 24 hours a day (obviously you won't) :) Sometimes it will feel like the only break from PT you will EVER get is to eat chow.

You won't really do much academics before RLP, so you should focus all of your effort on this. If you have any academics before RLP just do enough to pass and get back to RLP. Words cannot describe the feeling when you pass RLP...it's really something.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In theory your attitude is good, but honestly any study time would be better spent memorizing gouge like the code of conduct, chain of command, general orders of a sentry, etc. And start getting into the mindset that you CAN PT 24 hours a day (obviously you won't) :) Sometimes it will feel like the only break from PT you will EVER get is to eat chow.

You won't really do much academics before RLP, so you should focus all of your effort on this. If you have any academics before RLP just do enough to pass and get back to RLP. Words cannot describe the feeling when you pass RLP...it's really something.

This is the Marine OCS forum, skippy. I guess you didn't read which tests he was referring to. ;)