• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

sanders

the only thing I am doing to prep for seniors is get a million rolls of athletic tape, and cut them into 6 inch strips and stencil my last name onto all of them and stick them into the inside of a binder or some other surface for later use. Oh and I guess I will do some PT

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If I know it before then its more time to sleep or do other things to help. I can't PT 24 hours a day.

A+ for the effort, and I'll add some stuff to my previous post. It will not hurt you at all to read some books on Marine Corps history if you have the time. Go find the Commandant's reading list online and see if any of the junior grade books grab your attention. Learning your General Orders could save you from some studying as well. I would not worry about studying tactics stuff before you go, a lot of that is very OCS specific. If you wanted to look at some drill stuff that could give you a bit of a leg up, but you will get your fill of drill while you are there. Good on ya for wanting to get ahead. That attitude will take you far.

Now go run ;) :D

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
A+ for the effort, and I'll add some stuff to my previous post. It will not hurt you at all to read some books on Marine Corps history if you have the time. Go find the Commandant's reading list online and see if any of the junior grade books grab your attention. Learning your General Orders could save you from some studying as well. I would not worry about studying tactics stuff before you go, a lot of that is very OCS specific. If you wanted to look at some drill stuff that could give you a bit of a leg up, but you will get your fill of drill while you are there. Good on ya for wanting to get ahead. That attitude will take you far.

Now go run ;) :D

Well I have a previous CO's knowledge and I'm done outlining/highlighting it all. I was going to answer all the terminal and enabling learning objectives since it seems like they are the preface for the questions that will be asked on tests (are they?).

Thanks

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Well I have a previous CO's knowledge and I'm done outlining/highlighting it all. I was going to answer all the terminal and enabling learning objectives since it seems like they are the preface for the questions that will be asked on tests (are they?).

Thanks

They are. At OCS, they are what you study from.

MettGT

pilot
Honestly, other than PT, if you know your general orders and weapons safety/conditions (this was our first test at least), you'll be good to go. Then go have many beers or you'll regret it later when you can't have any.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Definitely know your general orders as well as the articles of the code of conduct. If there is one thing to study before you go, find someone with knowledge of the five paragraph order and get to know (O)SMEAC like the back of your hand. That kicked alot of people's asses.

I have a good skeleton that helped me if you want pm me and I'll send you a copy. You'll want to laminate 2-3 copies of it so you can take it with you into the field, write on it with map pens and erase it with hand sanitizer. Some people bought the 5-paragraph books in Q-town but they were like $20 and full of a bunch of extra crap you won't need until TBS.

I won't say not to study anything else before you go because we had a couple of good candidates who dropped for failing tests because their OSO said "don't worry about academics, all you need to do is be able to run". The DI's even said they didn't want to drop them but after 5-6 failures there was nothing they could do. If you're a pretty quick learner/intelligient though you shouldn't have much trouble with the exams. I'm blessed with a somewhat photographic memory though and only spent 4-5 hours the whole cycle studying and had the second highest academic gpa in the platoon. If I think of anything else I'll post it later.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I am also going to echo that you can not study AT ALL and still do fine on academics at OCS. Academics, although important, are pretty much a peripheral to most of your activities at OCS.

When you do study:

Don't worry about TLOs. They're pretty much an ethereal statement of what your skill set is supposed to be. Skip them.

ELO's are where its at. Your test questions are going to use the exact same verbiage as the ELO's, just without the protocol phrases.

And if you really are going to study:

1) General Orders VERBATIM.
2) 4 safety rules
3) 3 types of carries
4) 4(3) weapons conditions
5) History...with special attention to ELO's. Don't get caught up in the filler.
6) 5 paragraph order

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
I know they teach you everything you need to know at OCC and PLC combined, but what are the expectations for PLC SR's? I'm an ROTC guy so I'll just be going for 6 weeks (which is ROTC and PLC SR's combined). I assume there's some type of assessment at the beginning to make sure everyone is up to speed. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Indeejordan

the only thing I am doing to prep for seniors is get a million rolls of athletic tape, and cut them into 6 inch strips and stencil my last name onto all of them and stick them into the inside of a binder or some other surface for later use. Oh and I guess I will do some PT

Where did you get your stencil? I realize I could make one, but I am not sure if there is a specific font type stencil that it needs to be. Thanks.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
I forgot, that's what I was going to post. Go to office depot and get a 1" self inking stamp for your last name. it's about $25 but it's the best investment you can make. I can't think of the font I got but we had guys with MUCH different fonts, some smaller and skinnier, and nobody said a word. It will save you tons of time remarking gear and uniforms. Just go with the medium size that costs around 22-23 bucks and tell them you want your last name in 1" letters.

Example:

220901_sk_lg.jpg

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I know they teach you everything you need to know at OCC and PLC combined, but what are the expectations for PLC SR's? I'm an ROTC guy so I'll just be going for 6 weeks (which is ROTC and PLC SR's combined). I assume there's some type of assessment at the beginning to make sure everyone is up to speed. Does anyone have any experience with that?

That's the weird part. There ISN'T any diagnostic testing. So have get to watch as some really good guys just completely flounder because they're not ready. Some break through, and they are good to go. Others never break through and they get dropped.

BTW, my comments earlier assumed either the long course or a good ROTC. If you're going to the 6 week course and your ROTC is crappy, your hair is going to be on fire under your kevlar for about 6 weeks.

And Blondy, I've had so many gunnies in so many places say to memorize general orders VERBATIM so many times that I can't even keep track anymore!

Mr. Blonde

pilot
That's ok mike, it wasn't that he said it, it was the way he enunciated the word when he said it. It was classic, I can't really describe it on here, but a guy in my platoon did him during the gong show and the whole company was rolling...you would know who I'm talking about if he was there when you went through.