• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think a guy who goes in overly confident or with a cocky attitude stands a far greater chance of falling on his face.
I agree. I mean, just look at some of these jackasses on Survivior who think they know it all. They're usually the first to get the boot.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Not in January:)

"Counsel":D

To the original poster....you're supposed to be nervous, removed from your comfort zone, thrust into something unfamiliar and challenging. I think it is totally expected, and natural to be nervous. I sure as hell was. I think a guy who goes in overly confident or with a cocky attitude stands a far greater chance of falling on his face.

Good times.

Good points on both... I was definitely scared when I went. You get used to the routine after a couple weeks, and after 3-5 weeks the SIs really back off and let you take care of the training schedule. I hated that bridge... in a few weeks you'll know what we speak of 0621, the bridge of doom awaits you. When I was there i just tried to think about something else during moments like that. If you zone yourself out a little bit every now and then it helps you stay sane and a coherent leader IMO. ... gotta keep perspective.. libo is usually just another 6- days away.

Wanabe Jarhead

The bridge is nothing to fear. If you are on the bridge, you are almost at the chow hall. Everybody loves chow. You will have a leg up on alot of folks as a sergeant. If you are scared, just imagine how scared the candidates that are not prior enlisted are. Our staff got frustrated at the divide that formed between non prior enlisted and prior enlisted, so help them out as best you can.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Their is no need to be scared, maybe a little nervous. I was a former corporal in the Army and I was nervous, it is something new and unknown. However, with your enlisted experience it will be easy! Just stay healthy and you will be fine. Also as the other have posted help out all the non-priors. I.E show them the basic things taught to you in basic such as making their racks, basic positions of attention, how to blouse their boots, and lace their boots the correct way, proper fit of uniforms, how to field day, anything that got you Ited in Basic teach to the newbies. The staff will notice, and your platoon will appreciate it very much and respect you more for helping out. Also, do not expect to sleep very much. Anything else just asks. Have fun!

invertedflyer

^^excellent point... view your fellow candidates as equals and help them out as much as you can. "nervous" is a much better description of my feelings when I arrived at beautiful Brown Field. I wasn't scared and ready to hurl out the bus window or anything... You'll be alright 0621, you've got good experience and a good attitude.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You'll be fine. Don't skyline yourself. Don't cut corners. Call cadence in time and sound off. Good luck, see ya on the other end.

livefast

This is all good advice. I was nervous too, but it's honestly not that bad. Just focus on what you can control. For instance, I would consider the following items essential: 1) broken-in Bates Lites, 2) 2 pairs of woodland cammies, 3) small, sharp scissors, 4) 6" ruler, 5) gallon-size ziploc bags, 6) decent BOOT SOCKS (throw the trash they give you away), 7) good running socks that stop at the ankles and contain no cotton (again, throw the trash they give you away), 8) NEW running shoes (Asics Gel-Kayano are my favs), 9) BODYGLIDE for your feet.
I agree with the other posts that the PT is fairly strenous, but for most of the time you're there, you're done with the hard PT by 7am. Then it's mostly walking to the classrooms and to chow. Speaking of which, STAY AWAY FROM THE CAKE!! You should be looking forward to training. Too many candidates I knew looked forward to the chow instead, and the cake was a big reason. You'll see what I mean when you get there. SF>

Since your prior you probably won't be put in CO level billets at first. Mainly Sqd. Ldr, and Plt Sgt. When I was there they put the fvck ups in as CO and XO, and what not. I guess it was to break them so they could kick them out and put extra stress on them. Don't show your emotions or any weaknesses while your there and you will be fine. Also being in top phyiscal condition makes a big difference as well, that will be just one less thing to worry about while your there.

invertedflyer

This is all good advice. I was nervous too, but it's honestly not that bad. Just focus on what you can control. For instance, I would consider the following items essential: 1) broken-in Bates Lites, 2) 2 pairs of woodland cammies, 3) small, sharp scissors, 4) 6" ruler, 5) gallon-size ziploc bags, 6) decent BOOT SOCKS (throw the trash they give you away), 7) good running socks that stop at the ankles and contain no cotton (again, throw the trash they give you away), 8) NEW running shoes (Asics Gel-Kayano are my favs), 9) BODYGLIDE for your feet.
I agree with the other posts that the PT is fairly strenous, but for most of the time you're there, you're done with the hard PT by 7am. Then it's mostly walking to the classrooms and to chow. Speaking of which, STAY AWAY FROM THE CAKE!! You should be looking forward to training. Too many candidates I knew looked forward to the chow instead, and the cake was a big reason. You'll see what I mean when you get there. SF>

Some companies (like mine) didn't allow these types of socks to be worn for PT. I'm not sure what the logic behind it was, but keep an eye out for it and bring an extra pair or two of tube socks just in case. If you have any problems with sports-injuries bring some icy hot ointment and ALWAYS stretch in the rack before knocking out for the night. Make sure to absolutely stuff yourself at the chow hall... you'd be amazed at how quickly you'll become hungry if you don't, generally just a few hours. again, GL.

Ric Hard

I'm leaving for Quantico on the 20th. I am extremely nervous, but I am confident I will get through it.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It was kind of wierd for me. I didnt get nervous at all in the days before. I felt odd that I wasnt nervous. It finally happened on day 3 right before the Colonel's speech right before pick up. Just try to relax to the best of your ability and give it 100% once you get there. Stay motivated the whole time. And remember, everything is professional. At times its gonna feel like they are picking on you and being extra unfair to you...Dont take ANYTHING personal. Dont feel bad about stuff that you screw up. Just learn from it and do your best to never make the same mistake again. I got down in the dumps about a couple things I botched up or some of the runs that I sort of straggled to the back on. NEVER QUIT!! If you suck, they will kick you out. If you are NPQ, they will kick you out. But never quit on your own because you feel you arent doing good or are too hurt to continue. Their goal is to make you feel like crap and want to quit. As my PTI said, "Its all about motivation!!"

Good luck to all.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The difference between this and bootcamp (especially as a MECEP) is that in bootcamp you want to go home and they won't let you, and at OCS you want to graduate and they keep telling you they are going to kick you out.

That was the only thing that got me was the mindfark. I got put on platoon probation the first day possible. I started stressing about my career and figuring out how I was going to lat-move and try and pick up E-6 with an adverse fitrep. That sucks alot worse than getting IT'd for a few minutes, believe me.

You will fail a billet probably, maybe even two, you will fail something or other, and you just gonna nut up and don't let it show. As a prior you have the tools to do well and will probably do fine. I can only think of one prior who got dropped for reasons other than an injury when I went through.

Lawman

None
Get laid.

Unless you're leaving chow. Then, you SHOULD be nervous.

Only person that ever F'd with me in the Chow Hall was the XO. I saw some stuff though that made me very glad not to be candidate X.

I gotta agree with Slammer though, the first couple days there it was like it hadnt fully sunk in that I was here and this was for real yet. All I remember of the first 3 days was being incredibly board with sitting on that camp stool, incredibly hungry because boxed nastys just dont cut it, and incredibly pissed off at everybody around me for not sounding off and moving with intensity.

I think the first time I really felt like I was really in it was the first on TD 3 when we got all our gear, rifles, and uniforms issued out and were moving across the parade deck at port arms with Alice on our back and SI's on our heals. After that every day I put on that uniform I put it on thinking "Lets go get it done."