• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
It didn't hit me until I was crawling on my back through near-freezing mud at night, watching the flares go off. This (the night IMC) wasn't until the third week or so.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
We missed the night IMC after over 1/4 of our the candidates in our Company were medevac'd at some point during the night hike/SULE II evolution.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
damn...we had our 3 on 3 engagement after a 3 mile hike during black flag. I believe i lost 7 pounds of sweat that day.

0621girl

So what CAN I send?

Sorry to intrude on the "boyspace", but I figured if anyone knew it would be you guys!!!!

DH is in OCS, he is PE, but I wasnt married to him during BC so I dont know the "rules". What can I send him? Can I send candy? Can I send boxes/packages, or does it only have to be envelopes? If I do !#** it up and send something bad, what happens?

Can I send playboys, naked pictures and a strip-o-gram?

OK, just kidding on the last bit.................

Oh, one more thing. I already sent him laminated paper for Land Nav, is there anything else I can send him that would make his and the other guys life a little bit easier? If I can send a carton of laminated paper, I will!!! :p

Thanks gentlemen!!!!!

Lawman

None
Food and Candy is up to the individual platoon staff. First off if you go with food send enough for 40-50 candidates who havent had M&M's in weeks. Also send something that is resistant to heat during shipping and doesnt make a mess. Also something that doesnt require a lot of chewing. Cookies usually ended up a massed bag full of crumbs and chunks of chocolate so you gotta be careful about what you ship it in.

Reading material, newspapers were always a biggy especially the sports section. Being at OCS is sorta like being on the moon prior to liberty. I remember I managed to get the scores for a few baseball games off of a Motor T Marine in a head and it was like I brought back gold for some guys.

Encouraged items were anything you could use that would help you in the field. Powerballs, cough drops (the ones that taste like candy not ass), protien bars... that kind of stuff was pretty much always allowed by my staff. Also send them a couple tins of Gatorade, it'll be a good reward for a day of hard running field work and the staff encourages you to drink it after stuff like SULE.

0621girl

Thanks Lawman. I got the sports bit down already, my poor DH is the worlds biggest Bears fan, and he had to check in before last sundays game!! So he doesnt even know they are IN the superbowl, let alone if they win. I am slightly dissapointed to tell you that this was what he was most upset about when he was leaving!!! :p

So I can send boxes? or big parcels?

Thanks for your help!!!!

OH, and what is a powerball?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Parcels, sure. Just know that any packages and envelopes that seem to have stiff items will be opened in front of the staff to check for contraband. Not all the staffs let them keep newspapers, but that's a safe bet to send (or at least clippings) until he gets his first liberty in three weeks. Then he can tell you which stuff his staff allows so you're not wasting money on shipping stuff to the trash.

Best of luck to him and kudos for being there for him.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
letters. lots and lots of letters. Being able to read letters from my girlfriend and others as often as possible made me look forward to mail call almost as much as rack time. I got letters a couple times a week and I envied the candidates that were getting them every night.

Knowing that people back home were rooting for me really helped make OCS easier.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Envelopes that feel like they contain pictures will likely be opened in front of the platoon. If you can copy it onto regular paper, they might make it past the "filter."

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I got letters a couple times a week and I envied the candidates that were getting them every night.

Second that. It was like a bunch of litle kids in a toy store when they had us come up for mail call. Ever notice how that guy who got 4 letters in one night was still up there waiting for another and was almost dissapointed when his name didnt get called out again? Personally I think that contact with the outside world stinks because it makes you remember just how much life sucks at the moment. But its gonna happen anyhow, so make it happen as much as you can.

Lawman

None
So no naked pictures unless I want the whole platoon to see? Gotcha!!! :p

Actually its very unlikely that the platoon would see them. The staff however.... Lets just say you'd be real popular come the family day introductions. :icon_wink

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually its very unlikely that the platoon would see them. The staff however.... Lets just say you'd be real popular come the family day introductions. :icon_wink

They might end up on fugly.com. :D

Brett