• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Lawman

None
Whoever said this was entirely incorrect. OCS/TBS gives you all that you need to be a successful LT in the Marine Corps. Some priors have the wrong attitude, thinking that they've seen it all... the good ones (most of them in my experience at OCS) adapt and realize that they must take on a different leadership style/mindset. Like I said before, the enlisted side only works if its specifically something that you want to do, bragging rights can't be your motive. Myself, I wanted to see what the ground side "infantry-type" stuff was all about... the money for college didn't hurt. I hear you on the deployments though... that could be a serious set-back. Most reserve units have deployed more than once, mine included.

Case and point... yes we are definitely all equals and anyone that says you don't rate is dead wrong. Enlisted experience is something that should be given respect, however I don't think that its appropriate for said prior Marines to hold this above other LTs. We all endured OCS together.

/rant

The guy that said it was a Sh!t Bird PFC that had been busted down a couple times. He didnt make it past week three. Still it isnt the first time Ive heard somebody with a chip on their shoulder about how the path they took to get somewhere makes them better then you. No differnt then Academy grads who think that because they did that instead of real college they draw more water then you do.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I agree its a serious pain in the ass. I noticed that the individuals that did have a chip on their shoulder were mostly prior-active duty Marines. It seemed, in my experience at least, that the reservists had a more flexible and open-minded viewpoint. I'm glad that guy didn't make it through. For my Srs. platoon it was a prior active Sgt. and SSgt. that kept to their ways through the end, the rest of the platoon talked alot of shvt about them behind their backs and they weren't respected.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
The guy that said it was a Sh!t Bird PFC that had been busted down a couple times. He didnt make it past week three. Still it isnt the first time Ive heard somebody with a chip on their shoulder about how the path they took to get somewhere makes them better then you. No differnt then Academy grads who think that because they did that instead of real college they draw more water then you do.

PFC? Busted down a couple times? OCS?

Lawman

None
PFC? Busted down a couple times? OCS?

Every Officer you ever met has been an outstanding picture of the values of the Marine Corps? We had a couple of guys in the Company that somehow slid their way into OCS. Point is he didnt make it past the next filter... the SI's. He was the only guy Id seen or heard of from in Alpha to go home before the 3rd week for a non-NPQ issue.

invertedflyer

That happened to one of my platoon's candidates as well. I think the SI's said something about "unable to adapt to military lifestyle" ... I believe thats the only reason they'll send people home before the 3rd week (other than assaulting an SI or something).

USMC0621

Nervous about OCS!!! Help!!!

Maybe someone out there can knock some sense into me or give me some words of wisdom. I leave to attend OCS on Jan. 21 and I'am nervous beyond belief. I need to get rid of my nervousness quick. I'm aleardy used to the Marine Corps way as a Sergeant, but for some reason I'm nervous.

invertedflyer

Once you get there you'll adapt fairly quickly. Don't sweat it... the mental side is alot easier than boot camp was... you'll be surprised. As long as you've been working out and "prepping" properly... you'll be fine. Remember... theres no 13-week wait this time, you get libo after 3 weeks and it makes a BIG difference. Good luck, represent Comm well ;)

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The PT is harder, and instead of getting IT'ed, you'll have to write essays. Be prepared for less sleep as well. As a prior, you'll probably have to hold a candidate billet (FT leader up to company CO) early on. Other than that, don't expect any special treatment. Share your wisdom with the other candidates. Good luck.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Try to relax because you'll kill yourself with stress down there. Just run a lot (but dont get hurt) before you go to stay topped off in shape. Good luck down there.

snake020

Contributor
Just think of the worst officers you've met and remember if turds like them got through, it can't be impossible. That's what I used.

invertedflyer

Just think of the worst officers you've met and remember if turds like them got through, it can't be impossible. That's what I used.

BE HONEST on peer evaluations. Its tough love, like what snake expressed... you don't want a dirtbag officer ending up a section leader, he'll do more harm than good. A.Asylum had a great point about sharing your knowledge... if you don't share the SIs will actually catch on to it and "council" you accordingly. Just let people know little tricks of the trade...and ESPECIALLY help them rolling their sleelves, thats a big one and it really makes your platoon look sharp. As for billets, you should do ok with that, but theres a big emphasis on just "making a decision" under pressure, even if its the wrong one it shows that you can think and act when in a stressful situation. Again, good luck, and thanks to the rest for giving some good gouge.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
...and ESPECIALLY help them rolling their sleelves, thats a big one and it really makes your platoon look sharp.

Not in January:)

"council" you accordingly.

"Counsel":D

To the original poster....you're supposed to be nervous, removed from your comfort zone, thrust into something unfamiliar and challenging. I think it is totally expected, and natural to be nervous. I sure as hell was. I think a guy who goes in overly confident or with a cocky attitude stands a far greater chance of falling on his face.

Good times.