• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickboy

pilot
I have an Irish passport and I haven't had any problems yet with it. I even got my security clearance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can be medically disqualified at any time, even after you have your wings. Nothing shady about it. YOU are responsible for meeting the various physical, academic and other requirements as well as performing to an established standard. Sometimes you can get disqualified for things that are totally beyond your control - that's life. You might flunk out of flight school - it happens. Are you prepared to serve out the remainder of your commitment as an infantry officer? Again, this isn't anything to be viewed as "shady." Nothing is a guanantee. Prepare the best you can, show up and do your best and let things take their course. If you're not comfortable with that, I'm sure Tim Horton's is hiring.

Brett

Very true. USMC gives you a contract and you can get an Air Contract through PLC way before any other service will commit like that. It's a contract they will honor (with conditions/exeptions noted by Brett). I knew several Air Contract NFOs that were caught in downsizing of Marine Corps Air and transition of Phantoms to Hornets so there simply were not enough flight school slots available unless they went to another MOS and waited for a slot. USMC gave them option of going Navy (3 did on the spot). Another who got his wings only to find no squadrons available was askd if he'd like to go Artillery instead. He said "Make me a Lawyer and I'll stay". He went JAG and is probably most well-known lawyer out there defending senior and well-known folks caught up in scandals like Tailhook. At same time, one Air Contract guy in my company at TBS got a blood clot in his leg that caused him to fail his flight physical. USMC offered him chance to compete for another MOS out of TBS or leave because he had the contract. He opted to leave after trying and failing to pass the flight physical. USMC held up their end of bargain throughout.

Whilst talking to my father about my decision, (my parents are very anti-join), he said that I should be cautious and warned me that the military does not always keep their promises.

Maybe they're thinking of the military in Iran. US doesn't work that way unless you're a gullible teen hearing what you want to hear from a recruiter trying to make his quota. Ask them if they saw this movie:

private_benjamin.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was this a Secret or TS/SCI you got? Because Secret's not that hard to get; the SSBI check that you go through for an SCI clearance is a whole 'nother matter.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship. Plenty of other countries do, but not us.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You probably got a Secret. A Secret clearance, frankly, doesn't mean much. You'd know if it were a TS-SCI clearance. It's an exhaustive, paper-intensive process that takes months (sometimes years) to complete, because they dig deep into your background and actually interview people who know you.

You'll need that TS-SCI eventually, so my advice is to get in touch with State or Immigration and find out how you go about formally renouncing your dual citizenship. They may tell you it's not necessary, and for Joe Civilian it probably wouldn't be, but go do it anyway.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know several people that held dual citizenship before joining the military or getting a TS SCI clearance and in all cases they had to officially renounce their citizenship and give up their passports, there were no exceptions. Whether or not the country recognizes your renunciation you can't really do anything about, you have done your part, as long as you never utilize/use that citizenship during your service if it is still in effect. I do know that some countries do not recognize a renunciation and if you finish your service and are under no more obligations to the government, you could get your passport back. Just don't think about doing it while in the service or while holding a TS SCI, it will cause you big trouble.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship but it does not really care if you hold citizenship (or a passport) from another country either unless it somehow conflicts with your US citizenship. You renounce your citizenship in other countries if you take the US oath of citizenship but it is not really enforced, as long as there is not a conflict. It is not like some countries however, like Japan, that expressly forbid dual citizenship and will revoke it if you take citizenship in another country.

What's so special about having a Canadian passport, anyway?

Brett

My wife has been treated much better by customs/immigration than me in some cases when we have gone overseas. Other than that, not much.

greencard

What is Special about the canadian passport?

It is regarded as one of the, if not the, best passport to hold. Think about it. Who has problems with Canada? No one other than maybe the creators of South Park. Who does Canada have problems with? No one, at least that I know of. Heck Canadians can go to Cuba and even bring home the cigars!!

Anyway, I will give it up if I am told I must to become an officer, but I am proud to be Canadian, and I always will be. I couldnt have asked to grow up in two better countries frankly.

Oh and on a side note, it is estimated that the Canadian government will be out of national debt. Maybe I should move back, it'll be like Dubai, just really cold!

Thanks for the help guys and dont believe everything about Canada that you see on South Park!

greencard

Hey Goldie Hawn! My brother used to play hockey with her son!

Anyways, I understood that once you get to the point of being measured for the planes, you are already committed. I say it is "shady" becuase i think that they should make sure that you are qualified as much as possible, before you are asked to committ. NOw I understand that they cannot predict someone having a sudden and new heart problem that was not caught before, and I understand being reomoved for failing OCS, TBS or flight school, but if I understand correctly, you could end up committing only to find out that you are not physical qualified by something as simply as Thumb tip reach?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is Special about the canadian passport?

It is regarded as one of the, if not the, best passport to hold. Think about it. Who has problems with Canada? No one other than maybe the creators of South Park. Who does Canada have problems with? No one, at least that I know of.

Anyway, I will give it up if I am told I must to become an officer, but I am proud to be Canadian, and I always will be.

Oh and on a side note, it is estimated that the Canadian government will be out of national debt.

My wife is Canadian and feels the same way you do, but I would advise that you watch what you say here and among your possible future colleagues. I know that it might all seem in good fun but when you sign up to serve this country, especially as an officer, you cannot have divided loyalties. This includes close allies like Canada. The US government takes this all very seriously, especialyl since it has cost us dearly in the past, and even now I have to report every contact I have with my wife's coworkers, who are all Canadians. I can't emphasize enough how serious our government and members of the US military take loyalty to our country.

If you don't think Canada is not a target for some then you are sorely mistaken.

On a personal note, talking up Canadian 'way of life' will not get you very far in the pretty conservative officer corps. There is an enormous amount of respect for the Canadian military, now fighting in Afghanistan, but the social democratic model of government that Canada follows is not too popular here.

P.S. You might want to rethink that debt claim:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8081048

Hello Airwarriors.

Hello Airwarriors,

This is my first post, although I've been reading these forums for quite some time. Just stopping in to introduce myself. I'm a USMC officer candidate looking to get an air contract for OCC 201. I passed the ASTB, MEPS physical, crossed the t's and dotted the i's. My OSO is waiting on me for the PFT and the trip to Pensacola for the flight physical.

Just like every other hotshot out there I'm looking to fly the F/A-18. But on the other hand, I'd be happy flying just about anything... except the Osprey.

Here's a link to my various shenanigans. http://www.youtube.com/user/stevethepilot

So thats me in a nutshell. Flame on.

- Steve

FlyinRock

Who was the wimpy voice saying "that hurts man..."
Ummmm I'll just not say any more lest I hurt someones feelings in this new and more touchy feely world.
Damn

greencard

Ignorance is bliss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Canadianism

If the maple syrup and igloos are really that much fun maybe you should join the Canadian military.

I went through this forum for a day or two before I decided to join it so that I could ask some questions that concerned me. When I was reading a few threads I noticed that for one reason or another some of the peoples replies were seemingly unbecoming of any Marine Corps Officer that I have ever met. However I joined because I thought that I could gain some much needed advise, and I have gained some great knowledge through these forums.

On the other hand, comments like the one above disgust me. I have stated that I am eager to become a Leader of Marines, and I am willing to take all necessary steps, however it is discouraging to see such bigoted and ignorant comments like:

If the maple syrup and igloos are really that much fun maybe you should join the Canadian military.

My first question to this poster, is where is your respect for a young man trying to earnestly join your ranks?
Secondly, where is you respect for a nation that has been helpful to America in every major conflict it has ever entered?
And lastly, have you ever even been to Canada?

One the other hand, the comments about being careful about what I say while around members of the corps. I am glad that I was able to hear this. I think that that will prove to be great advice starting from the day I go back to visit my OSO till the day I retire from the Corps. So thank you for being honest in that regard.

Yes, I do love Canada. Yes, I am proud of my heritage. Yes, I do understand the predicament that any officer with prior relations with a foreign nation is in.

If and when I join the US Military Forces, it is apparent that I will be giving up my Canadian citizenship, and although I will always be very fond of Canada, once I renounce it, my loyalties will be clear. I am proud to live in America, I am proud and glad that I am receiving an American education, and most importantly I am greatful that America is willing to offer me a place in their military.

Bottom line! Once I renounce my citizenship to become an officer, although I may still love the nation to the north, I will be a full America, as much as anyone of you. I will devote myself to this service, and I will make all necessary sacrifices. So with that being said, please say your haste for others. Save it for those who deserve it. And do not speak ill of someone who wants nothing more than to stand by your side as a fellow American.

What does a check ride entail?
It took me a total of 5 hours of flight time plus 3 hours of ground to be certified for aerobatics in the Grob 115c. Most aerobatic aircraft are taildraggers, in which case it would probably take 10 hours or more in the SuperD, depending on how good you do and/or the hour requirements made by the company that insures it. I think the Pitts has a 400 hour (total) requirement just to solo.

Who was the wimpy voice saying "that hurts man..."
That was my wimpy voice. Bring the pain. ..|.,

Status
Not open for further replies.