• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
OK DangerousDan, we've done the work for you. Break out the credit card and I'll hook you up with a local SC FFL.

Too bad you won't be able to take it back to the sandbox to do a damn-damn on Hadji with it.......

Hahaha I like the name... thats about as personalized as you can get. Although how are they overall? The kit that comes with it is great, heard especially good things about the magpul mags. Think the rail is a little too long but I can see how it would be useful when mounting a light down on the end.

Dont get me started in there I could drop like 3 grand in their site easy. Other than the kit they have new, a Romanian AK 500 and a Draganov 700. The kicker is the 80 dollar russian surplus pistols. Then everybody would thing id be really crazy when stuff starts coming in the mail.

Ill call two FFLs I know at work tonight and see if the could take care of the transfer.

Besides throwing it at haji... my days of that are numbered I haven't left the VBC in like 4.5 months. Nothing like riding down route irish with an m4 in your hand.

Thanks for the adivice. Its nice to have money to burn.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Think the rail is a little too long but I can see how it would be useful when mounting a light down on the end.

Ill call two FFLs I know at work tonight and see if the could take care of the transfer.

Besides throwing it at haji... my days of that are numbered I haven't left the VBC in like 4.5 months. Nothing like riding down route irish with an m4 in your hand.

Thanks for the adivice. Its nice to have money to burn.

I agree with you on the rail. I'd put one of DD's shorter rails on it if it were mine. That would be an easy after purchase do it yourself deal. That's what I love about the AR platform. They are like tinker toys. You can make'em anything you want and they are never "finished".

If the FFL's are charging you more than $30 bucks you can do better than that with a little research. Saving $10 or $20 bucks may not be worth the extra effort from where you are though. Cpl Rocketman said he liked Route Irish much better behind a Ma Duce but that an M4 like this would do in a pinch ;)

Best of luck

DangerousDan

I agree with you on the rail. I'd put one of DD's shorter rails on it if it were mine. That would be an easy after purchase do it yourself deal. That's what I love about the AR platform. They are like tinker toys. You can make'em anything you want and they are never "finished".

If the FFL's are charging you more than $30 bucks you can do better than that with a little research. Saving $10 or $20 bucks may not be worth the extra effort from where you are though. Cpl Rocketman said he liked Route Irish much better behind a Ma Duce but that an M4 like this would do in a pinch ;)

Best of luck

After seeing a picture with a bi pod installed underneath the Front Sight Ill admit I like how the longer rail makes the that possible. Still having a bit of sticker shock even though I think the kit would be nice.

I called my FFL and they were charging 40 bucks. I think there having some issues with the economy which is why for the increased price.

Attachments

• IMG_9972 Stick.jpg
    IMG_9972 Stick.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9131 Stick.jpg
    IMG_9131 Stick.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 22

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That is one sweet looking rifle.

If you want a less "rail" type of hand guard, I really like the free float model from JP Rifles. Light weight, agile, fits great in your hands...

July2008A060.jpg
[/IMG]

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
After seeing a picture with a bi pod installed underneath the Front Sight Ill admit I like how the longer rail makes the that possible. Still having a bit of sticker shock even though I think the kit would be nice.

I called my FFL and they were charging 40 bucks. I think there having some issues with the economy which is why for the increased price.

$40 bucks ain't to bad. Especially if you know them.

No way around it, that's not a cheap weapon but the kit really is good stuff. They are using quality components as well and it looks like there are some in stock in a few places. A couple of years ago you could buy the components to put a weapon like this one together yourself in no time online. Maybe for less money too, but today that might take more time than it's worth, especially with your schedule.

Like mmx1 says this rifle is aimed at the premium market where Colt, Noveske, LMT and maybe LWRC play. If you ever need to sell it, you won't loose money on it as long as you are selling it to that market.

The mid market where Rock River, Bushmaster and others play is nuts right now. People are routinely paying $1200-$1300 or more for a $950 weapon just because they happen to find one in stock.

If the "oh shit it's got a bayonet lug on it" crowd will keep their mouth shut for another 6 months things will settle down a bit. If they don't they will help sell another 250,000 black rifles. :D

Bevo16

pilot
I found that Daniel Defense rig for sale today at my local gun shop for $1960. That is their out the door price (+10 for background check) as long as you pay cash or debit.

The LaRue battle grip that I ordered 3 weeks ago came in today. I was a little frustrated with the wait, but it was totally worth it. The grip is much higher quality than any of the off the shelf after market stuff that I have seen. It also comes with 3 different end caps so you can make it 3 different lengths. They also threw in a free cap, 2 bumper stickers, a "dillo" beverage entry device, and a bottle of dry rub meat seasoning (no joke, they call it "dillo dust").

My rig is coming along. I have an EO Tech 553 on order, that should be the last step.

I also saw a shit load of ammo in stock today. .223/5.56 was in large quantities everywhere. Guns-N-Ammo in Memphis had probably 50,000 rounds of the stuff in stock, but they have it significantly overpriced. They wanted $65 for 100 rounds of PMC 5.56, and they are not giving much of a discount for bulk purchases. I found 100 round boxes of Federal .223 at Wal Mart later in the day for $39 and bought all they had at that price. Suckas!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1607.JPG
    DSCN1607.JPG
    889.6 KB · Views: 40

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found 100 round boxes of Federal .223 at Wal Mart later in the day for $39 and bought all they had at that price. Suckas!!!!!
You are that guy. :icon_tong

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I found that Daniel Defense rig for sale today at my local gun shop for $1960. That is their out the door price (+10 for background check) as long as you pay cash or debit.

The LaRue battle grip that I ordered 3 weeks ago came in today. I was a little frustrated with the wait, but it was totally worth it. The grip is much higher quality than any of the off the shelf after market stuff that I have seen. It also comes with 3 different end caps so you can make it 3 different lengths. They also threw in a free cap, 2 bumper stickers, a "dillo" beverage entry device, and a bottle of dry rub meat seasoning (no joke, they call it "dillo dust").

My rig is coming along. I have an EO Tech 553 on order, that should be the last step.

I also saw a shit load of ammo in stock today. .223/5.56 was in large quantities everywhere. Guns-N-Ammo in Memphis had probably 50,000 rounds of the stuff in stock, but they have it significantly overpriced. They wanted $65 for 100 rounds of PMC 5.56, and they are not giving much of a discount for bulk purchases. I found 100 round boxes of Federal .223 at Wal Mart later in the day for $39 and bought all they had at that price. Suckas!!!!!

LaRue is one of those companies that some people used to love to hate.... Just because. Sometimes I'm kinda like that too. I usually pull for the underdog etc. But I swear, IMHO you just can't do any better than LaRue. Yes, every internet commando I know wouldn't be caught dead without at least one LaRue doodad on his AR. What makes Larue different to me is that a lot of the guys that have BTDT feel that way too. That and the dillo they send me every Christmas. I own a bunch of their stuff.

You're right it sure is nice to see ammo begining to come back even though it's still overpriced. I bought 1000k of 9mm and 1000k of .45 today at a little higher than I wanted to pay but at least it was there to buy. I was running low. I really need some .30 Carbine for my daughter but I just can't bring myself to pay $560/1000 for that stuff. CMP sells it for half that price. You just have to wait for a couple of months.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I found that Daniel Defense rig for sale today at my local gun shop for $1960........ I found 100 round boxes of Federal .223 at Wal Mart later in the day for $39 and bought all they had at that price. Suckas!!!!!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Not to 'one up', but look harder:

Daniel Defense for $1449 'buy it now' price online .... and a better stock, one of the Magpuls ... :)

Federal XM193 400-round 'bulk' for $149 for da' local boys ... :)

Because I care ....

*edit* ... it would appear that I only buy things that are denominated in 1's and 4's and 9's ...

DangerousDan

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Not to 'one up', but look harder:

Daniel Defense for $1449 'buy it now' price online .... and a better stock, one of the Magpuls ... :)

Federal XM193 400-round 'bulk' for $149 for da' local boys ... :)

Because I care ....

*edit* ... it would appear that I only buy things that are denominated in 1's and 4's and 9's ...

I could easily dump 3 Grand into AIM surplus.

Between this.... $1900
ddm4up1.jpg

And this....$500
akgpwasr1063.jpg

And maybe this.... $700
psl.jpg

Choices Choices Choices.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And maybe this.... $700
psl.jpg

Choices Choices Choices.
Better deal than I got on mine . . . Jay's Guns in P-cola are a bunch of highway robbers.

But it is F-U-N FUN. Gets noticed at the range, and mine has shot MOA 3-shot groups when the shooter was on his game.

Downsides: it's a drama queen (those MOA groups will only occur with Prvi Partizan ammo), and it needs <150 grain ammo, which is harder to find. Shoot the heavier stuff and you beat up the reciever. Also, I've heard that quality is hit or miss; you run the risk of getting a real dog. Which is par for the course for Century Arms.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
In the middle of watching Full Metal Jacket Here, posing this question: is it possible to buy a semi-auto Vietnam-era "mattel toy" M16A1?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
In the middle of watching Full Metal Jacket Here, posing this question: is it possible to buy a semi-auto Vietnam-era "mattel toy" M16A1?

Yes, kinda. If you really want to get as close as possible to the issued item you have to build it yourself for the most part.

Just a little extra background and a nit or two . The pic A4's posted is a Colt SP-1 which is a semi-auto version of a weapon that I think was only issued in limited numbers to some Air Force security units. I'm certain it was never issued to The Marine Corps and 99% certain never issued to any Army units.

As Junkball mentions the weapon issued to Marine and Army units at the time was the M16A1. Pictured below.

m16a1.jpg

The primary difference between the two is that the M16A1 had a teardrop shaped forward assist and a partial fence on the lower protecting the mag release button. The SP-1 has neither. A few M16A1's with 3 prong flash suppressors were still being issued to grunts as late as 1978. Most of them I saw had bird cage flash suppressors similar to what you see today, and like the pic above. We liked having at least one weapon with a 3 prong suppressor around. They were great for twisting and breaking the 2 wires used to hold a case of C rats together. Pissed off the armorer though.

I loved the M16A1. It was much lighter than today's version and the sights were simple, rugged and effective once you got them sighted in. The M16A1 buttstock is slightly shorter than the A2 stock. (which I like enough to have retrofitted on my personal AR15s that don't have collapsible stocks)

Very early rifles had barrels with a 1-14 rifling twist rate but I believe all the ones we had were 1-12. The 55 grain bullets we used would barely stabilize at 1-12. It wasn't that uncommon to have rounds keyhole in a paper target at 500 yards. That said if you were any good they would keyhole in the black. That combination of a 55gr bullet and a 1-12 twist barrel was what gave the M16 it's well deserved rep for doing nasty shit to another human. For man killng out to 300 yards, an M16A1 loaded with 55gr rounds in a 1-12 barrel gives me a woody.

The challenges of building your own have mostly to do with finding the parts and the partially fenced lower. One with no fence like an SP-1 lower or ones with a full fence like modern lowers are not correct. Also the M16A1 and SP-1 are not black, they are "Colt gray", a color very difficult to duplicate. Once in a while you can find people making a run of M16A1 lowers and there are several good forums online with gouge on building old school M16A1s. It wouldn't suprise me to learn that someone was actually building complete weapons for sale but now a days I bet they would take forever to get.