• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Anybody ever used gunbroker or gunsamerica websites? I see two of the CAR models on each of those sites for around 1000 bucks, not counting shipping and everything. Dealers would not necessarly be an option since there is only 1 dealer listed for my whole entire state and his website shows as not having any in stock though i need to call. I do have an FFL I know I can have it shipped to but the problem is I dont believe they would be able to hold it for me.

If the wait is a year why would i order it since I am hoping to do a quick vacation and then head back overseas.

If they were that much accurate I wonder how the National Match ones are? I looked they arent that expensive around `1250 or 1300.

I've used Gunsamerica a couple of times with no problems at all. Sometimes to buy and sometimes to compare prices etc. I've also used the "for sale" forums of other well established internet gun sites many times to buy weapons from private sellers and again, never a problem. Always use a US Postal Money Order if buying from a private seller. I've used http://www.ar15.com/ and http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21 (and others over the years) to buy AR-15s. I bought my last 2 M1A's (unfired all USGI parts) from individuals on The Firing Line at http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/index.php and a couple of great AKM builds from a guy on the the AK Forum http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/index.php?sid=8af18298bac24dbe0a5d0de72b4572c1 . There are many others.

When you guy a gun online, you find an FFL to do the transfer, have him send his FFL paper to the seller, you send the seller the money and he sends the gun to the FFL. At that point it's YOUR gun not the FFL's. All you have to do is go by and fill out the paperwork and pick up the weapon. There is NO reason the FFL wouldn't hold it for you. It's your gun. The trick is to find an FFL that won't charge you an arm and a leg to do the transfer. I have a guy just outside of Charlotte that only charges me $15 bucks to transfer. Others want $30-$50 bucks or more. $30 is a fair price for a transfer. Usually you can get the names of local FFLs on the board you buy from.

It sounds like buying online might fit your needs for a quick turn if you can move quickly when you see what you want. If you are dealing with a reputable FFL the one thing you shouldn't have to worry about is the FFL holding your weapon for you.

I don't have much experience as far as the National Match AR's go. I've shot NRA Highpower type matches (200, 300 and 500 yrds) but mostly with an M1A. Several manufactures make off the shelf National Match ARs. I hear RRAs is pretty good but so are several others. All of them will out shoot me. The really good shooters many times shoot custom built AR's. They all have to meet the same service rifle standards but they are not the same as off the shelf weapons.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
LWRC last year started issuing all of their rifles with Match Grade, NiCorr treated, Cold Hammer Forged barrels. One of the main reasons why I went with them. With my "new" M6, I consistently get accuracy and velocity from my 14.7 '' barrel that is comparable to that of a full 20'' M-16A2.

LWRC triggers do, in my opinion, suck. I'm considering getting a 2 stage trigger, especially since I'm considering getting an SPR upper. I was considering either LMT 2 stage, either get it now or wait till more of the Geissele SSA 2 stage come in cause the wait is literally *months*. What do you guys suggest? Both are gonna be in the same price range.

LWRC make fine weapons and I do love my LWRC M-6. I bought mine before they were offering the cold hammer forged barrels and I hear those are very nice. Yea the trigger sucked on mine too (IMHO most off the shelf ARs have sucky triggers) but changing out the trigger is no problem of course, once you find the parts!! For the kind of 3 gun type shooting I do now most any trigger will do but for trying to shoot small groups I like a two stage as well. I know that some are less durable and more prone to failure than others so all things being equal that's where I would consentrate my internet research. If I have to pay lots of dollars and wait months to get a great trigger I want it to work for a long time.

Have you ever fired and M1A or Garand that has had a trigger job done by a really good gunsmith? It's a thing of beauty. Like a glass rod breaking.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Concur with above - changing the barrel is no big deal - headspace is an issue you do not need to concern yourself with in an AR. The barrel extension is the chamber - and is integral to the barrel itself.

I would get a decent 5.56 (not 223) chambered barrel. You have many options - as far as crown/threading and profile/weight. The nice thing is you can order your barrel directly and have it shipped UPS.

There are a number of videos out there to teach you the basics. A good vice is what you need , as well as a barrel nut wrench. Anyone who is an AR enthusiast will likely have the remaining tools you need (bench block, punches, vice block, barrel wrench, etc)

J&T Distributing is a great place to order your barrel from.... (google them)

Chuck

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
At that point it's YOUR gun not the FFL's...There is NO reason the FFL wouldn't hold it for you. It's your gun.

The problem that I have is that I am in Iraq right now and I dont think an FFL would be willing to hold something for me for like six months (since most of them have signs that say "guns held for over a month will be sold". Although I guess I could send dad to pick it up for me and just have him "gift" it to me.

I've used Gunsamerica a couple of times with no problems at all. Sometimes to buy and sometimes to compare prices etc.

It makes me wish I had a crackberry to surf there when at a gun show Are you sure you want that much for that?? Case in point 1500 price for a 995 CMP H&R M1 Garand.

Have you ever fired and M1A or Garand that has had a trigger job done by a really good gunsmith? It's a thing of beauty. Like a glass rod breaking.
No, neither the M1 or the M1A havent had any work like that done. I guess the firing line would have a good place to go and find gunsmith with experience to go and tweak them? Our range is only 100 yards so I dont really get to do much distance shooting over there. I was fine out to 400 yards on the pop up targets at NARMY training.

I was just liking that the prices on the RRA National match ones were just a couple of hundred extra over what a "normal" AR would go for. Since I already would like to get two, one each like M16 and M4, and since money is no object, the CAR will be the "plinker" of the two while a NM would like to get

Sounds like a LWRC barrel surrounded by RRA components might be pretty good shooter.

Hey is your guy in Charlotte on the NC side? Would you be interested in a little shooting when I get back in the fall?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The problem that I have is that I am in Iraq right now and I dont think an FFL would be willing to hold something for me for like six months (since most of them have signs that say "guns held for over a month will be sold". Although I guess I could send dad to pick it up for me and just have him "gift" it to me.

Hey is your guy in Charlotte on the NC side? Would you be interested in a little shooting when I get back in the fall?

My FFL is in Indian Trail NC which is between Charlotte and Monroe on hwy 74 so yes he's on the NC side. $15.00 transfers. I am certain he would hold a weapon for you as long as you needed him to. He's a great guy. I can hook you up with Eric if you find the right weapon.

Sure I'd love to go shooting with you when you return. Lt Rocketman will still be finishing up TBS/IFS but Cpl Rocketman should be around too unless he does an IA to A'stan. Give me a shout when you get back. Stay safe.

utak

Sounds like a LWRC barrel surrounded by RRA components might be pretty good shooter.

Just letting you know man, LWRC is a short stroke gas piston rifle, opposed to Rock River which is the traditional Direct Impingement methods. So it depends, do you want a gas piston weapon, or the regular style DI AR-15? Noveske also has CHF barrels if you want a DI type weapon, they've got a good reputation as well.

If you are looking into LWRC, look no further then Northwest Tactical. They've always have stuff in stock and at incredible prices (considering that LWRC gas piston ARs tend to be more expensive). Matt and Marcy are good people and they'll take care of you.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Just letting you know man, LWRC is a short stroke gas piston rifle, opposed to Rock River which is the traditional Direct Impingement methods. So it depends, do you want a gas piston weapon, or the regular style DI AR-15? Noveske also has CHF barrels if you want a DI type weapon, they've got a good reputation as well.

If you are looking into LWRC, look no further then Northwest Tactical. They've always have stuff in stock and at incredible prices (considering that LWRC gas piston ARs tend to be more expensive). Matt and Marcy are good people and they'll take care of you.

Like NW Tacticals cartoon Character. Rocket wont work since I am on the SC side of the line.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Ruger just came out with a 5.56 piston carbine.

468l.jpg

Looks sweet!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Like NW Tacticals cartoon Character. Rocket wont work since I am on the SC side of the line.

NWT is a great dealer for certain.

I'm sure you can find FFL's with reasonable transfer prices in SC (I'm assuming you mean just over the NC line like Rock Hill, Fort Mill etc) I can help you with that part if you decide to go that way.

No matter if you are buying from a individual over the web or a dealer like NWT over the internet you still have to find a local FFL to do the transfer.

Best of luck with your search!!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Quick question: Daniel Defense AR-style M4 carbine, factory ....

Nice?? Average?? So what?? Don't know?? Talk to me ... :)

DANIEL DEFENSE

DD put quite a bit of effort into marketing this thing that's for sure (Vid) http://www.ddm4.com/ddm4inaction.html

I don't know much about them but here is a thread that has some good info. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=423562 Looks to have first class components. Man I LOVE those Magpul stocks....

I have bought quite a bit of ammo a few weapons and mags etc from AIM and they have a very good rep on the web.

Looks like Rainier Arms is selling them as well. Rainier is good people too www.rainierarms.com

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The company got the contract for the RIS rail system and they've made a good name for themselves in free-floating rails. These rifles are advertised as meeting mil-spec -full-auto BCG - (for the increased weight, it is not a NFA part, Colt rifles ship with the same type of BCG) M4 feedramps, staked gas key, MP tested BCG and barrel. It would have been my second choice if I hadn't gone with the Noveske. It's targeted at the folks looking for Colt/LMT quality, and seems to live up to it.

The rather unorthodox rail forward of the front sight post was at the behest of Larry Vickers (who is a consultant for DD on the rifle), to allow for increased grip surface and mounting of a light forward of the front sight post at 12 o'clock.

It's not a bad package, I was pretty close to buying one.

The company is also about to release hammer-forged barrels as an option, but the stock DDM4 does not have them.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
OK DangerousDan, we've done the work for you. Break out the credit card and I'll hook you up with a local SC FFL.

Too bad you won't be able to take it back to the sandbox to do a damn-damn on Hadji with it.......

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The company got the contract for the RIS rail system and they've made a good name for themselves in free-floating rails.

I have a standard DD mid length rail on one of my 6.8's and it's a good piece of kit.