• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

sickboy

pilot
Black Rifle Question: Pro job or DIY?

I recently bought a old AR-15 at a gun show, unfortunatly the barrel is completely shot out (but for 450, I'm still happy with it). I got a new barrel, but I know squat about gunsmithing apart from the maintience I did on my M4. However I have read a bit about barrel replacement online and I have access to a machine shop if need be. Gun gurus out there, can I do this job, or should I have a professional do it?

CAMike

None
Contributor
That all depends how accurate you want the final product to be. There are plenty of DIY web pages and videos of how to do it. A set of Snap Ring Pliers, Rachet and barrel wrench are the basic tools needed. Try it- if you don't like the results take the parts to a gunsmith. Even a weak effort on your part won't ruin the parts.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I've built a few lowers and that's easy enough to do but I've never tried changing barrels. With some weapons, Garands, M1A's etc proper headspace is a very important safety issue. If you change barrels on one of those weapons you would want to be sure the head space was in spec before shooting it.

I'm not sure it's as much of a big deal with black rifles. I know plenty people who have exchanged bolts back and forth between rifles with no problems (me included) If you decide to do it yourself and are concerned with head space you may want to invest in a head space gage or go,no-go gages. Or, just let a gunsmith handle it.

FLY_USMC

pilot
You can do it yourself, it's really not difficult at all. Headspace is not an issue. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, have somebody who's done it before help you. I would, but unless you are in Fallujah or something, I'm pretty sure we aren't close.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
I went w/ Rock River, and I have been extremely happy for the past 4 years.

I happened across a 2008 rock river catalog today and happened to hit their website. Their CAR A4 Kit really interested 600 for the kit and then figure another 200-300 for the receiver. Would this be a good deal? I cant track how prices are in the states right now since I am in Iraqistan. How hard is it to put the parts together on the stripped receiver? Or I could just buy one with the reciever ready to go.

kcara409.gif

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
A stripped lower should run you $150-200, and it seems like the run on guns at least is slowing.

Bevo16

pilot
I happened across a 2008 rock river catalog today and happened to hit their website......Or I could just buy one with the reciever ready to go.

kcara409.gif

I have virtually the exact rifle in that picture, with the addition of a SureFire handguard, rear iron sights, and a single point sling bracket. It is a great rifle, but RRA has about a year long wait right now. Some gun stores will have them in stock, but they are very hard to find. Get your order in now, or start calling gun shops and try to reserve one of their existing orders.

rrhm_flsh1.gif

DangerousDan

I have virtually the exact rifle in that picture, with the addition of a SureFire handguard, rear iron sights, and a single point sling bracket. It is a great rifle, but RRA has about a year long wait right now. Some gun stores will have them in stock, but they are very hard to find. Get your order in now, or start calling gun shops and try to reserve one of their existing orders.

rrhm_flsh1.gif

Yeah i saw that although I still have 6 months left in iraq so I could order and then forget about it. When i priced the kit plus what it would cost for a lower im only looking for about 100 bucks less than what I saw for some of them on gunbroker. I think i might go and hit some of the gunshows/dealers when I get back in country.

Bevo16

pilot
That will be your best bet. You can't go wrong with Rock River. I was really impressed with the long(er) range accuracy in my last trip to the range.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... RRA (and quality AR$) has about a year long wait right now. Some gun stores will have them in stock, but they are very hard to find..
That's why I started buyin' AR$ @ 2 years ago ... just because :) ... and magazine$ ... and ammunition ... I pretend they're kinda like Krugerrand$.

krugerrand-gold-coin-obv.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FIFY.

Thanks for sharing all of that insight. :icon_rage

:D
ac_oneway1118.jpg

Funny ... that's what some called me when I was wavin' ... :D

"They" maintained there were 3 ways to get aboard:

Their way ...
The Navy way ...
My Way ... :)

They were wrong; there was only "One Way" ...
:D

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
That will be your best bet. You can't go wrong with Rock River. I was really impressed with the long(er) range accuracy in my last trip to the range.

+1

My RRA's were all more accurate out of the box than my piston LWRC and Bushmasters. I think part of it has to do with RRA's slightly tighter chamber. Also IMHO RRA's have the best out of the box trigger of any of the AR's I have owned. In fact back when they were easy to find I put RRA triggers in all of my lowers. I would have loved to have a trigger like that in my issued Colt back in the day.

DangerousDan

Anybody ever used gunbroker or gunsamerica websites? I see two of the CAR models on each of those sites for around 1000 bucks, not counting shipping and everything. Dealers would not necessarly be an option since there is only 1 dealer listed for my whole entire state and his website shows as not having any in stock though i need to call. I do have an FFL I know I can have it shipped to but the problem is I dont believe they would be able to hold it for me.

If the wait is a year why would i order it since I am hoping to do a quick vacation and then head back overseas.

+1

My RRA's were all more accurate out of the box than my piston LWRC and Bushmasters. I think part of it has to do with RRA's slightly tighter chamber. Also IMHO RRA's have the best out of the box trigger of any of the AR's I have owned. In fact back when they were easy to find I put RRA triggers in all of my lowers. I would have loved to have a trigger like that in my issued Colt back in the day.

If they were that much accurate I wonder how the National Match ones are? I looked they arent that expensive around `1250 or 1300.

utak

+1

LWRC last year started issuing all of their rifles with Match Grade, NiCorr treated, Cold Hammer Forged barrels. One of the main reasons why I went with them. With my "new" M6, I consistently get accuracy and velocity from my 14.7 '' barrel that is comparable to that of a full 20'' M-16A2.

LWRC triggers do, in my opinion, suck. I'm considering getting a 2 stage trigger, especially since I'm considering getting an SPR upper. I was considering either LMT 2 stage, either get it now or wait till more of the Geissele SSA 2 stage come in cause the wait is literally *months*. What do you guys suggest? Both are gonna be in the same price range.