• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lifestyles???

jtl575s

I have been having those nights when you end up not getting to sleep till 5 am recently because I cant seem to get my mind to quit racing about which branch of the military I want to try and get a commission for. Im currently a junior at Embry Riddle and have meetings with a Marine Corps recruiter as well as an Air Force recruiter comming up next week. My question is what are the differences between the lifestyles of a Navy, Marine, and Air Force officer? Most directly a pilot or NFO. I have met the girl and plan on getting married either before I graduate or soon after and also wandered how each branch affected this. I know most people would probably say the Air Froce was the best way to go for a family man but I still would like to hear about the lifestyles of Marines and Navy officers as well. To be honest I am leaning towards the Marine Corps because being a Marine officer appeals to me more than any of the others.
Thanks

Where ever you go I would at least wait until you finish all of your initial schools and if possible your first deployment before getting married. A lot of marriages fail because the spouse does not realize the amount of time that will be spent away from home. The military has a high divorce rate and if you two are really that serious you will still get married at a later date, but if it turns out she's not the one; you get to keep all of your stuff.

KBayDog

3...2...1...MARK!

stopwatch.jpg

KBayDog

Brett, Brett, Brett - I expected you to be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snowstorm!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Brett, Brett, Brett - I expected you to be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snowstorm!
I need to recharge the hate before my next big tirade. :D

Brett

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Yeah. Women are dream killers. Thanks for turning me to the darkside Brett. I feel the hate flowing through me now.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Dude didn't ask about whether he should be getting married ...

Air Force: Easy life. No ground job, you just go fly all the time. These guys eat tofu and might blow away in a strong wind. Wimpiest of all services.

Marine Corps: Polar opposite of the Air Force. Most sought after job seems to be Infantry, not flight. No nice hotels or dining halls (or words over two syllables ... kidding). You know how to march and kill things with guns. Your prowess as an Officer is directly related to your PFT score. Not wimpy.

Navy: Jack of all trades. You fly, you have a ground job (or two), and you go to a boat. Naval aviators are the best in the world. In between the Air Force and the Marine corps for quality of life.

None of the services are a bad choice, but each service is different and one may be a better fit for your personality. Talk to all of the recruiters, or even better, talk to someone in each branch who isn't filling a quota. Judge which personality fits you best and pick that one.

Hope that helps.

phrogpilot73

VarmintShooter said:
Dude didn't ask about whether he should be getting married ...

Air Force: Easy life. No ground job, you just go fly all the time. These guys eat tofu and might blow away in a strong wind. Wimpiest of all services.

Marine Corps: Polar opposite of the Air Force. Most sought after job seems to be Infantry, not flight. No nice hotels or dining halls (or words over two syllables ... kidding). You know how to march and kill things with guns. Your prowess as an Officer is directly related to your PFT score. Not wimpy.

Navy: Jack of all trades. You fly, you have a ground job (or two), and you go to a boat. Naval aviators are the best in the world. In between the Air Force and the Marine corps for quality of life.

None of the services are a bad choice, but each service is different and one may be a better fit for your personality. Talk to all of the recruiters, or even better, talk to someone in each branch who isn't filling a quota. Judge which personality fits you best and pick that one.

Hope that helps.
Very well put... Very true about the PFT score for the Marine Corps. Stellar fitreps every time, but because I'm not a PT stud - I'm a shitty officer according to my former XO...

jtl575s

What kind of ground jobs does a Marine pilot do when not flying or in the classroom/preparing for flight? Does a Marine pilot spend alot of time aboard the boat, or more time at base?
Thanks Varmint for the good reply. I really wasnt asking if I should get married. I belive that is a completly personal issue as to if those two people can deal with it.