• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life at OCS Questions

bbf7b2

pilot
You know what upsets me.. Individuals giving away information about OCS. The least you know the better the experience. I enjoyed OCS and I did not even read anything about it before I went. I also did not have much time. My package went to an Aug. Board. I was Pro-Rec early in Sept. and Final Select by the end of Sept., with an OCS date 18 Oct. Also most of the information you hear/read here might not be what you experience as everything is class team dependant. Even the same class team/DI can behave differently with different classes. So anything posted here is not going to help anyone. Also do not post any names here.

The guy in your class who pissed his pants probably wished he had some more information going in.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
The guy in your class who pissed his pants probably wished he had some more information going in.

Hahaha! I guess you guys are right... I am being a bit harsh and insensitive about the subject. And no more war spoon? That saddens me!

TXSooner07

None
Hahaha! I guess you guys are right... I am being a bit harsh and insensitive about the subject. And no more war spoon? That saddens me!

Yea there's no more war spoon but that doesn't mean you have to use the fork/knife. The spoon was much more effective for shoveling as much food in as possible...

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
You mean there's no more impaling of the apples? Lame!

I was that guy who was very excited about crab legs... then was very disappointed when I sat down and realized I only had a spoon...

jtmedli

pilot
You mean there's no more impaling of the apples? Lame!

I was that guy who was very excited about crab legs... then was very disappointed when I sat down and realized I only had a spoon...

There are still rubberized steaks and ribs to infuriate the candidates with and I'm sure the class teams have found a way to make a fork and knife a useless combination.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I graduated with GySgt Bamba. 11-11, we were the last war spoon class.

WTF? Where/why did this go away? Stabbing apples and watching them sail across the table to hit someone 15 feet away was one of the best parts of OCS. Must be the easy new program... always is according to those who went before you...

yakboyslim

None
WTF? Where/why did this go away? Stabbing apples and watching them sail across the table to hit someone 15 feet away was one of the best parts of OCS. Must be the easy new program... always is according to those who went before you...

Word was that an Admiral saw the place and ruled that it had to go, supposedly found it "barbaric". No idea if that is true though.

I weep for the new generation, I loved the war spoon. Plus I imagine it directly correlates to leadership and success in the fleet.

CAMike

None
Contributor
OK Young Bucks. When HAL Pilot and I went through circa 1984ish we ate with all the normal utensils. Utensil procedures the least of our worries as long as your eye balls didn't roam. The DI's stomping on top of the tables amongst your food during the meal while choosing their post meal targets was far more distracting. Gunny Goforth and Gunny Crenshaw found opportunities where others didn't.

Didn't you recent guys have any classes that were complete "Academic Rocks" aka class 18 or 19-84? I swear they failed 1/3 of the class when they got to the big 3. Being punished for being "not smart" was far more painful than the normal DI scripted class routine dictated. As if hours in the rose garden was going to make them smarter.

Only once did the DI's gang up on the mess cranks. We had steak and lobster one evening after 100% completion of the "O" Course and the lobster made rubber seem palatable. Bad decision by the AOCS chow hall cooks. Gunny Washington and Crenshaw went off on them in a very public way. Something about serving us Cat Meat from the loading dock deliberately misrepresented as lobster. Ahhh- the memories, DI's verbally abusing civilians cooks for their UNSAT effort.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Word was that an Admiral saw the place and ruled that it had to go, supposedly found it "barbaric". No idea if that is true though

I heard that rumor when I went through, class 09-10A. I first heard it somewhere when an admiral was checking the place out he didn't like what he saw. Apparently he didn't see the point of making eating so difficult or something like that. At the time I was hoping they'd let us start eating with forks. In hindsight... I'm glad I have those memories, as much as it sucked at the time.

Didn't you recent guys have any classes that were complete "Academic Rocks" aka class 18 or 19-84? I swear they failed 1/3 of the class when they got to the big 3. Being punished for being "not smart" was far more painful than the normal DI scripted class routine dictated. As if hours in the rose garden was going to make them smarter

My class was the guinea pig class for the "Way Ahead", a new academic-oriented program that put us in class for most of the day. Engineering was the worst subject, and most (literally most) of the class failed that class's first test. The instructors sucked and had no people skills, and seemed to lack officer-like qualities that the class advisors and DIs were trying to instill in us... and clearly they didn't want to be there. Nevertheless, we got beat very hard for failing tests. They told us if we didn't pass the final, we could be attrited. I don't recall being more stressed for anything in my life.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Also... Those instructors were counseled, new instructors brought in and some reassigned, and the final test was rewritten before we had to take it. I believe most people passed. Still... when you prefer beatings to tests... yeah.

We learned a lot from the good instructors. But we learned the most from the bad ones.

aukonak

Word was that an Admiral saw the place and ruled that it had to go, supposedly found it "barbaric". No idea if that is true though.

I weep for the new generation, I loved the war spoon. Plus I imagine it directly correlates to leadership and success in the fleet.

It was actually a much more effective way of eating once you got the hang of it. It made burger day that much more fun. I'm surprised to see you talking about chow with no mention of french toast sticks though.

yakboyslim

None
It was actually a much more effective way of eating once you got the hang of it. It made burger day that much more fun. I'm surprised to see you talking about chow with no mention of french toast sticks though.

It's like trying to describe a rainbow to a blind person. The french toast sticks are more magical than they can imagine.

CHEESEBURGER WEDNESDAYS!!!

Cheeseburger Wednesday is a bittersweet thing though, no french toast sticks on Wednesday. If things are still the same, the breakfast rotation is waffles-frenchtoast-pancakes-sticks. But it skips when french toast sticks are on a Wednesday (using one of the the other 3 options) then resuming with sticks on thursday. That also makes the breakfast rotation a 3 week roatation. With few exceptions, everything repeats every 3 weeks, so if you like something it will be 3 weeks until you eat it again.

I used to know when the italian, mexican, pizza, etc.. was. I had a calendar with how many days remaining as well as every important meal marked out.

I used to have it all figured out, now my wife surprises me every night...

shutout39

pilot
Cheeseburger Wednesday is a bittersweet thing though, no french toast sticks on Wednesday. If things are still the same, the breakfast rotation is waffles-frenchtoast-pancakes-sticks. But it skips when french toast sticks are on a Wednesday (using one of the the other 3 options) then resuming with sticks on thursday. That also makes the breakfast rotation a 3 week roatation. With few exceptions, everything repeats every 3 weeks, so if you like something it will be 3 weeks until you eat it again.

I used to know when the italian, mexican, pizza, etc.. was. I had a calendar with how many days remaining as well as every important meal marked out.

This may be the best gouge this site has ever produced. It should be added to the pre-OCS study gouge packet.