• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life at OCS Questions

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I've read a lot about the training at OCS. But I haven't found much on the everyday aspects of OCS.

1. Do you stay in a room with about 10 people your first few weeks? And later move to a 2-4 person room?

2. How many showers are in the head and are they separate or in one room, similar to high school? How much time do you have to do the three S's?

3. What "chores" do you have to do during "sweepers"?

4. Can you really bring your own blanket to prevent fixing your bed every morning?

5. What do/can you do on Sundays?

6. Roughly how many miles do you run on average per week/day?

7. During the winter do you typically run indoors to substitute running outside during black flag?

Thank you.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Questions

Answers:

1. You will move rooms many times at OCS. I believe the magic number is four times. Once after indoc week, once again after RLP and then after week six, when the senior class becomes candidate officers, and then finally you will move in to your Candi-O room. That's a grand total of four moves and a total of five rooms. Each room is a two person room.

2. Each head has probably five showers. For the first few weeks you'll have about 3-5 minutes to take care of your vital hygiene items. Each shower is sectioned off, however there is a common changing area where you let it all hang out.

3. The chores you have to do are primarily cleaning up after yourself and all of your nasty classmates. That means sweeping, mopping, dusting, and taking out all of the trash. Don't worry, your senior classes will show you the way.

4. You shouldn't need to bring your own blanket, the linen body should have plenty of extra blankets to hand out to you. Also, you'll likely be sleeping in your sweats to stay warm most nights. During the cold nights, the heat doesn't always work as well as you'd like.

5. On Sundays, you can say howdy to Jesus (or your chosen deity), do laundry, clean your room, and basically catch up on everything you've been neglecting doing the rest of the week. You're also able (class team dependent) to go to the NEX for uniform items and to get haircuts .

6. Holy crap you ask a lot of questions. I'm sure most of these have been answered, or are posted in the Survivors Guide to OCS gouge pack somewhere. Anyway. . .your first few weeks, you'll run 1.5 miles about every other day ( MWF) And then you'll start picking it up to 3 miles in your third week.

7. When it's balls cold out, or raining, or hell, barely sprinkling, you'll probably be running in the Gym, or even better, inside of Nimitz Hall (the barracks). This means you'll be running lots of stairs and turning lots of corners. . .I hope your ankles are strong!

8. Wait. . .there were only 7? Good, my fingers hurt. I'm done.

BUDU

Only answer I have different is #6...it is about 1.5 miles every other day (3 after RLP), yes, but Wednesdays really depend on how fast you run. Wednesday runs are sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 90 seconds (or whatever the PT coordinator feels like) for a certain number of reps on the track. I had days where I'd run a mile and a half, and days where I'd run 3.

yakboyslim

None
The exact make up of the runs is very class team dependent. Some class teams do sprints, others don't. Also indoors runs are for a certain amount of time, not necessarily distance, so in the winter it is a total crap shoot.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
The exact make up of the runs is very class team dependent. Some class teams do sprints, others don't. Also indoors runs are for a certain amount of time, not necessarily distance, so in the winter it is a total crap shoot.

Yeah, and what do you know about Newport in the Winter. Didn't you go during the summer? ;)

BUDU

On strength and conditioning days, yeah, but the run days are pretty straightforward. Get every class together and go.

yakboyslim

None
On strength and conditioning days, yeah, but the run days are pretty straightforward. Get every class together and go.

I'm pretty sure we answered the question at hand, but I'm not sure we are saying the same thing. When I ran indoors during the winter we would run for a certain amount of time, at an individual pace. If you ran fast, you did more laps around Nimitz. I never ran much in the gym during winter, though some class teams did.

I went during 3 seasons and had 3 different class teams, as well as doing PT with other class teams during my time in H and I can tell you one thing, nothing much was consistent between class teams. To get more specific than eas7888's original answer is probably leading people wrong.

1.5 miles-ish until 3 weeks-ish and then 3 miles-ish every MWF-ish. Best answer.

yakboyslim

None
In my experience the outdoor running was almost entirely on concrete with a few days doing sprints on the track. At least the scheduled running...

R

russellf54

I've read a lot about the training at OCS. But I haven't found much on the everyday aspects of OCS.

1. Do you stay in a room with about 10 people your first few weeks? And later move to a 2-4 person room?

2. How many showers are in the head and are they separate or in one room, similar to high school? How much time do you have to do the three S's?

3. What "chores" do you have to do during "sweepers"?

4. Can you really bring your own blanket to prevent fixing your bed every morning?

5. What do/can you do on Sundays?

6. Roughly how many miles do you run on average per week/day?

7. During the winter do you typically run indoors to substitute running outside during black flag?

Thank you.

Best advice... I'm almost finished OCS now and on leave for holidays... DO NOT worry about OCS. You can't control anything while your there and secondhand info is useless. Everything you do is dictated by your class team (DI, RDC, and class officer)... Indoc week sucks. People will roll in and out and you'll always be on the go. Things change so much while your there and life gets better as the weeks move on. Do your best and HELP out your shipmates. If one fails you all fail. Just show up and be ready to lead others because H is looking for a few good men (...and women..). You will do just fine if you know WHY you are there