• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki questions

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
What kind of khaki garrison cover should an Ensign with Ensign pay be wearing? I've heard good things about leather lined covers that hold their shape well. How many covers should I have on hand?

Also, whats a good number of summer white \ khaki uniforms to own as a SNA going through the pipeline?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wear poly-wool. Your cover will get nasty once you start wearing a flight suit and you have that sh!t in the airplane. Don't get anything expensive... it's not worth it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm, since checking into primary, i've worn my khakis 3 times, summer whites once, and SDBs twice. 1 summer white and 2 khakis should do it...
Agreed about the garrison cover, your is going to get crumpled up, folded and dirtied many times over when your in your flight suit... the basic model should be fine. I've got a couple covers... always convienient when you throw one around after a late flight and can't find it before your early am brief the next day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My advice is get a nice one with your khakis and then go to the exchange and get a 100% cotton one for your flight suit. One stays nice, the other gets grubby but is easily washed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
My advice is get a nice one with your khakis and then go to the exchange and get a 100% cotton one for your flight suit. One stays nice, the other gets grubby but is easily washed.

A little grub on it is cool though ;)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:
A little grub on it is cool though ;)

I couldn't agree more. I just retired one with a good quarter inch dark stain around the front of it, looked awesome.

And one set of khakis is enough, if you ask me. Its all I've got and I've had no problems.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I really like the nice CNT covers, the ones from Abbots. They're comfortable, look nice, and easy to wash. Though i usually wear a command ball cap now (with LT insignia), I still have a nice khaki cover for when the E's swipe my ball cap (as they have recently done....again....).

Just went up to Great Lakes' NEX a couple weekends ago. Got 2 sets of poli-wool khakis, athletic fit (which rocks), and 2 covers of the same material.

The lady checking me out gave me crap about the size of the covers I bought. I like mine to be down on my forehead (not high) and I think the dip is in my near future too, right? But she said, "Your cover is to be worn high on your head, like a Marine...with no dip. THEY'LL get you for that..." I just chuckled, thanked her for the advice and told her I'd like to purchase them anyway. There was a Seaman behind me in line who was siding with her and trying to talk me out of wearing the cover like I do.

I don't wear it down near my ears like some old CO's I've seen. I just don't like my garrison cover to be all "JROCT-like" in its fit--too high, too straight, too small for my head.

-J

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
The material should match with your khakis. So if you wear poly-wool khakis, wear a poly-wool cover. For a flight suit, only poly-cotton is approved.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My cover doesn't match my khakis...no one cares. It will get sweat stained, etc. Just wash it once in a while.

Remember too big and it looks like a rudder in the wind, might as well be a SUPPO. (we have a SUPPO here who wears a cover 2 sizes to big, looks like a manilla envelope on his head)
Too small and you look like a dork...It's all about how you look.

Why is that important? You would be surprised how much of your professional reputation is built upon how you look and sound in the pattern around the boat...buffonerize that and it doesn't matter how SH you are dropping bombs.

So make it your way of life. Look good.

Also a spare cover, sunglasses and keys left on your desk is the perfect cover story for an afternoon on the links.

"Hey where's XXX" " Dunno, but he's around, I saw his cover on his desk"

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
I really like the nice CNT covers, the ones from Abbots. They're comfortable, look nice, and easy to wash. Though i usually wear a command ball cap now (with LT insignia), I still have a nice khaki cover for when the E's swipe my ball cap (as they have recently done....again....).

NOT a fan of the ballcap for the O's. Too shoe-ish for me.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HooverPilot said:
NOT a fan of the ballcap for the O's. Too shoe-ish for me.

Agreed! And only P-3 guys wear rank insignia on their ballcaps! ;)

Cotton cover with the flightsuit. Iron it after you wash it. Fold it in half and it goes in the left inside paocket of your leather jacket or your right lower leg pocket on your flight suit! (Insignia end down)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
jai5w4 said:
Just went up to Great Lakes' NEX a couple weekends ago. Got 2 sets of poli-wool khakis, athletic fit (which rocks), and 2 covers of the same material.

The lady checking me out gave me crap about the size of the covers I bought. I like mine to be down on my forehead (not high) and I think the dip is in my near future too, right? But she said, "Your cover is to be worn high on your head, like a Marine...with no dip. THEY'LL get you for that..."

Which is why she's a clerk working a cash register at Great Lakes. Not exactly the center of the khaki (or aviation for that matter) community. This is all the regs say regarding wear:

"Correct Wear.

Wear squarely on the head, with fore and aft crease centered vertically between the eyebrows and the lowest point approximately 1 inch above the eyebrows."

That aside, anyone saying anything else can pack sand. Best to go w/ Schnuggs's advice - rule #1: don't look like a dork. And go with the dip.