• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki questions

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fmr: Don't even bother buying AWGs until you hit the Fleet (hopefully TFU will wake the fvck up bu then, but I doubt it). Most of the time, it's a squadron wide thing, as in everyone will wear them or no one will. Often it's dictated by location and weather (they're great in cold climates, but when it gets hot, a tie and long sleeves sucks).

from the regs:

Occasions For Wear
When authorized by the prescribing authority, may be worn when engaged in work at aviation activities, flying, or aboard vessels servicing aircraft at advanced bases.

that's the key phrase. Since the guys I fly with only wear bags when they have flights, I play their games and use greens in lieu of khakis. I wouldn't show up for SDO at a VT squadron in greens, no way, no how. Great way to be go down in the "legends of flight school - "That guy" category". I don't catch any sh!t (a) because I'm fvcking old as hell, (b) I'm the only USN guy on my base and (c) I'm authorized by my US chain of command. Plus I look like a million bucks...

ok maybe a hundred dollars

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Yeah, not out to go get them now by any means but I've always thought they were sweet (plus I'm a former Marine - how could I not love green?). Thanks for the gouge.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
So what exactly was the purpose and when would one wear SDK as opposed to Service Khaki or SDBs? Can someone enlighten a younger soul . . . and if they were so popular, why did they get dumped in the first place?
Disclaimer: this is from memory ... didn't look it up ... may include some "mistakes" ... Potential enlightenment follows:

Service Dress Khaki: worn anyday, anywhere as a good all-around alternative to SDB's ... more user-friendly than SDB's ... cooler in all climates, didn't show dirt, good anywhere a "working" uniform was not authorized nor appropriate. Why get rid of them??? Some bright bulb in the Pentagon wanted something to put on their fitness report and decided to cut down on the required # of uniforms, I seem to remember.

"Service Khaki" didn't exist as such back-in-the-day. The equivalent was called "tropical khaki long" ... as opposed to "trop-khaki short" -- with shorts and pith helmet (optional) and knee socks -- I kid you not .... but some guys wore them in the P.I. and P.R. No ribbons worn ... only Wings ... and ONLY authorized as a "working" uniform. We favored the "Trop Khaki" (short-sleeved shirt and trousers) with a green nylon flight jacket if not flying.

Remember ... these were the days when you could not drive throught the gate with a flight suit on .... :) .... some things HAVE improved over the years. Some of the "old guard" died off ...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Service Dress Khaki: ... cut down on the required # of uniforms, ...

""tropical khaki long" ... as opposed to "trop-khaki short" -- with shorts and pith helmet (optional) and knee socks -- I kid you not .... but some guys wore them in the P.I. and P.R. No ribbons worn ...

...you could not drive throught the gate with a flight suit on ....

Service Dress Khaki's gone? When did that happen?

Trop khaki long (short sleeve shirt/ long trousers), with ribbons. Trop Khaki short with pith helmet was dapper, bit British, what. All I wore when on Guam. Almost on par with the Jar Heads and their swagger sticks! Can you believe?

Question: In my day, everyone in Khaki's or AWG's wore brown shoes. Yeah, we called airdales "brown shoe Navy", but we all wore the same shoe/boot. I always wore brown wellingtons (spell?) Guess that must must have changed with the Dress Khaki?

Yep, main gate Barbers Point, TH. "Senior Chief, Sgt of Guard saw you put on your civilian jacket over your flight suit. I have orders not to let anyone leave the base wearing a flight suit". Turned me back and cost me about 15 minutes of liberty at the Monkey Bar, Pearl City, and I was already late....:icon_rage :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
Service Dress Khaki's gone? When did that happen?

Question: In my day, everyone in Khaki's or AWG's wore brown shoes. Yeah, we called airdales "brown shoe Navy", but we all wore the same shoe/boot. I always wore brown wellingtons (spell?) Guess that must must have changed with the Dress Khaki?

....cost me about 15 minutes of liberty at the Monkey Bar, Pearl City, and I was already late....:icon_rage :icon_rage
Late '70's/early '80's ... I think we're talking the same uniform.

usnavy5gk.jpg

We wore Wellington's with our Khaki's as well as Aviation Greens. Some guys even got BLACK Wellington's for wear with SDB's ... :) ... I tried to buy a pair of Wellington's (manuf. by Bates, I believe) recently @ the NEX for wear with my airline uniform --- good luck. They are not even listed in the NEX system. Bummer ....

Late to the Monkey Bar @ Pearl City ??? Late for what ??? :) :icon_wink

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever[B said:
Late to the Monkey Bar @ Pearl City ??? Late for what ??? :) :icon_wink [/B]

Yessss:D :D :D , a fine looking uniform it is!

Ahhh... late for anything I might have missed? Free pu pu's? Some things that you miss out on, you can never catch up on!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Chief said:
Ahhh... late for anything I might have missed? ..... Some things that you miss out on, you can never catch up on!
AW Nazi-like rep point system said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Chief again.
Pearls of wisdom from The Chief ... dismiss said wisdom @ your own peril .... :)

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
I can't ever post a question without it derailing miserably.:icon_smil

Good stuff.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
While this silly thread still has legs here's one more question. Who's had to suffer wearing Service Dress Blue Yankee on liberty by direction of SOPA?

Talk about feeling a little goofy...imagine a couple of hundred LT's running around hollering "Oh Lovie, Darling" at all the party guests.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
2sr2worry said:
...Who's had to suffer wearing Service Dress Blue Yankee on liberty ....
Not a "silly" thread ... good history, in a way.

But .... No way on the Yankee ... wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y too gay. Not even Hollywood falls for that one .... :) ... unless you count "Some Like it Hot" ...

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
I have another question about khakis. What specifically is different in the athletic fit poly-wools and the classic cut. Ive be told the athletic is much better, but the SKSC at my unit didnt even know their was a difference. Any clue?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Not a "silly" thread ... good history, in a way.

But .... No way on the Yankee ... wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y too gay. Not even Hollywood falls for that one .... :) ... unless you count "Some Like it Hot" ...

Forgive my ignorance, but what are Service Dress Blue Yankees? I couldn't find a picture.