• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Khaki questions

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Agreed! And only P-3 guys wear rank insignia on their ballcaps! ;)

why do you think they call us SWOviators? :icon_tong

I like the ball cap because it serves a purpose in additon to covering your head (i don't like to wear hats anyhow, but if i have to, i would prefer it serve some use, i.e. keep the sun out of my eyes).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Ball caps look cool under a headset!

I used to wear a Winter Aviation Green piss-cutter. Used to throw off the Marine studs in the HT's all the time - I would have a blast with that in the winter months :)

All for bringing back Service Dress Kahki - Where is A4s when you need him?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
All for bringing back Service Dress Kahki - Where is A4s when you need him?
Yeah ... now you need him !!! He's usually where you don't want him .... BUT:

Service Dress Khaki --- with combo cap or piss cutter/garrison cap --- the all-time best officer's uniform for all season wear. Bar none!!!

u0069988ra.jpg
usnavy5gk.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CNT cover with both khakis (which I try NEVER to wear) and flight suit. I like to wear it wide, with a big dip in the back. Aviator sunglasses too....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Personal experience: get a couple of gabardine (sometimes spelled gaberdine) garrison caps --- quality caps; one for khaki uniforms, the other for flight suits. It doesn't matter if they "match" you khakis. Wash cotton khaki is crap, in all forms, and you will look like sh!t .... plus, you gotta' press it. Like Schnugg said ... "look good".

Some guys think that's where the "dip" in the khaki cover came from ... pull it out of your flight suit on the ramp/in ops and put it on one-handed while carrying your helmet bag --- instant "dip" as you put in on front-to-back, and secure it on your head with the "dip/dimple" in back ..... :)

Ball caps are always desirable on a X-Country --- or on cruise when you fly ashore --- especially in Air Force land/Gomer land --- you show the "flag" and esprit de corps in your squadron when you wear 'em --- the AF envies and hates 'em.... the Gomers just envy you.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Schnugg said:
Also a spare cover, sunglasses and keys left on your desk is the perfect cover story for an afternoon on the links.

"Hey where's XXX" " Dunno, but he's around, I saw his cover on his desk"

I dunno... I was told as a JO, if I ever saw a senior's cover laying out it was my duty to take it home and return it the next morning in a block of ice.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
I dunno... I was told as a JO, if I ever saw a senior's cover laying out it was my duty to take it home and return it the next morning in a block of ice.
Funny . . . that just happened in my squadron, but it was to another student.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
Inverting the insignia is another less overt technique. Nothing says "I'm an A-hole" like a hinge walking around with his pretty oak leaf up-side down. :D

Brett

KSUFLY

pilot
Are the Service Dress Khaki and the Aviation Working Greens still actual uniforms or have they been taken off the books. Because I swear I saw a Lt. in San Diego wearing AWG a couple months ago

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aviation Working Greens are still authorized. Trust me.

Service Dress Khakis are still in the tomb. Hopefully, they'll stay there. awful.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I love the Service Dress Khakis. I wish they'd bring those back and have them replace the SDB's and be approved for all season wear. Then keep the choker whites for formal occasions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Most guys who don't "like" Service Dress Khaki's never wore them. They went overboard in the late 70's/early 80's --- can't remember ... so I don't think too many people on this board ever wore them. :icon_wink Service Dress Khakis were universally liked by my peer group and more than one tear was shed when they were sh!tcanned. If you like aviation greens, you'll like Service Dress Khakis.

But in it's inestimable wisdom, TFU, a.k.a. Task Force Uniform (AFU? :) ) is seriously considering reintroducing them for Officers and Chiefs.

Maybe I'll ship over .... ?

The more things change ..... huh ??? :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what exactly was the purpose and when would one wear SDK as opposed to Service Khaki or SDBs? Can someone enlighten a younger soul . . . and if they were so popular, why did they get dumped in the first place?

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
If you wear AWG's will you catch sh!t? And when would you wear them?