• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just how intense is Navy OCS nowadays?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That's right. Those little rat bastards. People barely took the plastic cover off before fisting their faces with them. And I, measuring in at a bold 5'6", got to march behind everybody on the way back from each peanut butter eating competition.
Good God, our company was rife with post-chow marching gas. The worst offenders were, of course, the squad leaders, so absolutely no one was safe. Well, except the guide, but she was one of the last ones through the hatch when we got back to Nimitz, where invariably several people crop-dusted the ladderwell back up to our deck. So yeah, no one was safe from the peanut-butter-induced menace.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Good God, our company was rife with post-chow marching gas. The worst offenders were, of course, the squad leaders, so absolutely no one was safe. Well, except the guide, but she was one of the last ones through the hatch when we got back to Nimitz, where invariably several people crop-dusted the ladderwell back up to our deck. So yeah, no one was safe from the peanut-butter-induced menace.

Seriously. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that shit was in direct violation of the Geneva Convention. Actually, I'm going to go look it up.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Seriously. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that shit was in direct violation of the Geneva Convention. Actually, I'm going to go look it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Protocol

"The Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare, usually called the Geneva Protocol, is a treaty prohibiting the use of chemical and biological weapons in international armed conflicts [and at OCS]."

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
This may have been asked before but I'm just curious to know what the hardest thing to adjust to was. Especially those who were not prior military. For me, I think the hardest part would be the yelling in my face. If I'm being honest, I would have to admit that my emotions show all over my face and I haven't grasped the ability to hide it or what I can do to help with that.

But anyway, I'm curious to hear all stories and if they were wrong or right about their assumptions, and if applicable, how you adjusted.

Renegade One

None
This may have been asked before but I'm just curious to know what the hardest thing to adjust to was. Especially those who were not prior military. For me, I think the hardest part would be the yelling in my face. If I'm being honest, I would have to admit that my emotions show all over my face and I haven't grasped the ability to hide it or what I can do to help with that.

But anyway, I'm curious to hear all stories and if they were wrong or right about their assumptions, and if applicable, how you adjusted.
Well, for me, it was two things (all dated):

1. I had not prepared well for the physical part. Sounds like you folks are far better informed about what that entails. That's a good thing. Make that one less thing to worry about if you can.

2. Resist the urge to laugh or smile when y'all are getting yelled at…even though many things will be wildly humorous…even the yelling in the face. I can remember, during one RLP (AKA "Room, Locker and Personnel Inspection") one of my roommates standing across from me with a trash can over his head yelling something…"11 General Orders of a Sentry"? Doesn't matter now what it was. But, goddam…I thought that was funny. Keep a straight face as best you can. Laugh about it later...

Enjoy the experience! I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Eating by the numbers with my right hand (I'm very left-handed) made for some hungry nights that first week.
They don't have to worry about that, eating by the numbers is now secured.
Like R1 said, keeping bearing will be a big deal. They'll do some funny shit to try and make you laugh, so that they can then punish you for laughing. It's all about becoming more disciplined. Don't touch your face, don't open your mouth unless you're talking, things like that.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
Renegade one's story is hilarious. I probably would have broken and laughed. I went out for a few drinks with my friends to this bar in NYC that's famous for naming their shots and putting on a show for each shot. I ordered the military shot (forgot exactly what the name is) but the bartender put on his costume and handed a chrome dome. He proceeded to yell at me all crazy with very insulting comments. I couldn't hold it and busted out in laughter. He then ordered me to get on my face and give him 20. When that was completed, I was then allowed to take my shot, again with him yelling in my face. That was an experience unto itself. Maybe I should try again and try harder not to laugh

Last edited: