• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just how intense is Navy OCS nowadays?

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
If you don't want to be that guy that becomes a giant pussy everytime you have to do 20 pushups, then start training hard now. The DI's have a little card that says exactly how many reps of any excercise they can make you do at a time, and that amount is pretty weak if you come prepared. The OCS PT is a joke if you are in ok shape, and it will be for you too if you start training ahead of time. Get a trainer or join a crossfit gym. Do something where there will be other people to push you past your own limit and you will see how big of a joke OCS really is.

shutout39

pilot
Its all in your head. Quitting an exercise is a natural impulse, but like any impulse, it can be trained over time. Back when I was in hike school I love stopping an exercise once the burn came. Then when I trained with my hockey team, I struggled keeping up. Once I started pushing myself past the burn was I not only able to keep up, but actually found it a easy. The point is, if you train yourself now to push for those extra couple, you wont put yourself in that situation later.

Also, if you are worried about not keeping up at OCS, check out the Navy OCS documentary posted in this forum - there are chicks who used to weigh 230+, who dropped the weight and passed (on their 2nd try, but they did).

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
20 pushups is punishment?

On its own, 20 pushups isn't a hard task for most people. But when you haven't slept in weeks and you're also doing sets of 8 count bodybuilders, flutter kicks, overhead arm claps, and mountain climbers, 20 pushups isn't quite as easy as it first seemed.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I remember being a candio and indocing the new classes and people were struggling to do 5 pushups....males and females.....so yeah, its not completely out of the ordinary. Train now if you're worried and don't act like a pussy. Man up and support your class and pull your weight and go hard and you'll be fine...

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
No 4-count pushups?

And man, 5 pushups giving people problems? Do they just get seawalled over and over, or do they go to H for like 6 months?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
sign up if you think it's easy. You'd be surprised how many times you might have to re-do that 20th push-up...
a lot of times they're slow pushups too. Up.. hold until everyone is up.. Then down.. Up.. waiting on tubby.. everyone is screaming at tubby to push.. still waiting.. Everyone up.. Yup. 20 slow pushups can be worse than 50 straight through quick ones.

scarfus

FS SNA, March 25th OCS
a lot of times they're slow pushups too. Up.. hold until everyone is up.. Then down.. Up.. waiting on tubby.. everyone is screaming at tubby to push.. still waiting.. Everyone up.. Yup. 20 slow pushups can be worse than 50 straight through quick ones.

"tubby" is why the Navy ought to make a pft part of the application process, like the Marines do.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Though, oddly enough, the amount of "incentive" PT at Marine OCS is minimal. Scheduled PT, on the other hand...

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
They did.. But they did away with it last year when someone got hurt or something during the test.
Yeah, a kid died on the enlisted side. It was a DEPer that was doing DEP PT. It was a pretty big deal here at CNRC HQ. We actually had to do an instructional video on how to conduct correct PT excercises for the recruiters staring yours truly.