• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just how intense is Navy OCS nowadays?

mstafford2010

My question is simple: What happens when the DI tells you to push and you literally do not have the juice to do another pushup (or any other type of exercise/RPT)? I would imagine this is a common occurrence at OCS, considering that it's part of the DIs' job title to push candidates to their maximum potential.

Do they scream at you some more and make you do something else, scream at you until you do more pushups (somehow), or are you in serious trouble?

Thanks,

Matt

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Well from enlisted experience.. They will just call you names until you do that extra one.. Or will just eventually call you a disgrace and tell you to get out of their face.. They're not trying to set you up for failure, they are trying to make you push yourself to go that extra yard. But they're human too. Don't worry about things like that. There will be far more important things I'm sure they are more worried about whether you can do or not..

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
You can tell when someone is giving it their all or just sandbagging. Their goal isn't to kill you, it's to help you realize your potential.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
They'll be able to tell when you're truly gassed and might switch you to a different exercise (if it's an RPT session). If you're doing pushups and maxed out, you can stay in the up position while your arms shake. Seen this happen when class was being instructed and someone started nodding off. Get in the back and push.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
That's when you let them know "you got no where else to go"...

an-officer-and-a-gentleman-11-mayo-pushups.jpg

FlyinRock

And if you watch carefully you'll see it was the 2nd take as Gossets elbows are already wet just before the puddle scene.
I was a DI USMC back in the Old Corps and can tell you, we could only push so far and have to back off. As others said, we could tell if you were putting out and if you were sandbagging it. Woe be it to the sandbagger...........
Semper Fi
Rocky

81montedriver

pilot
The DI's will push you to your limits. They know exactly how to because they have been trained to expose people's weaknesses. Once you get through the training, you come to realize just how clever alot of their motives were. They know how to deceive you physically and mentally.

So how do you counter all that? Just like everyone else said. If you act like a pussy when you feel spent, they will expose that and make your life worse. Act like a champ and keep trying to put out even when you have nothing left and although they will still make your life miserable, they will start to realize that you are a guy they don't have to worry about as much.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is one of those questions that just goes into the realm of the ridiculous. You can't worry about EVERYTHING. What happens if you're standing at attention and your DI is screaming at everyone going off on some tangent, and you feel the urge of explosive diarrhea coming on... WHAT DO YOU DO??

I mean, you can come up with a million scenarios to worry about. Use your brain. You're not going to be a POW. It will be stressful, yes. You will be pushed to your limits, yes. But the staff has a brain, and if something comes up, they'll generally know what's up, have seen it before, and know how to proceed with it.

Bottom line .... TLDR: RELAX!

mstafford2010

This is one of those questions that just goes into the realm of the ridiculous. You can't worry about EVERYTHING. What happens if you're standing at attention and your DI is screaming at everyone going off on some tangent, and you feel the urge of explosive diarrhea coming on... WHAT DO YOU DO??

I mean, you can come up with a million scenarios to worry about. Use your brain. You're not going to be a POW. It will be stressful, yes. You will be pushed to your limits, yes. But the staff has a brain, and if something comes up, they'll generally know what's up, have seen it before, and know how to proceed with it.

Bottom line .... TLDR: RELAX!

Understood - thanks.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Not to mention they usually just plain run out of time before it gets that far a lot of the time. There's a training schedule to keep that can't be assed up because some d-bag was picking his nose in the back of the class.

There's also the very popular "If candidate X can't do 30 push-ups, let's see if the class can do them while he watches..."

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Or they will just shove you in a locker until you remember your reporting statement.. Then ask you if you've learned your lesson, only to here from you, "yes sir I hav.." and have the locker slammed right back in your face..

Lol this seriously happend to a guy in bmt. But I'm sure everyone will do fine at OCS :)

There are actually some hilarious things you will encounter as well.. Once I forgot to shave, and I was ready to get screamed at until the guy across from me farted. Probably was the only time I was thankful someone passed gas. Man did that guy get screamed at..