• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board 2 MAR 2020

Fitzou

I'm one of the poor souls who was in that board. And now it doesn't convene until the month I'm supposed to transfer from my current command. Its so stressful not knowing what I'm supposed to do.

Per the instruction and the Fleet Checklist if you have an OCS Application in you should NOT execute your PCS orders until the result of the board is known.

EO87

Per the instruction and the Fleet Checklist if you have an OCS Application in you should NOT execute your PCS orders until the result of the board is known.
That is what I thought also, but my detailer is trying to figure out if I need an ORDMOD or not because I need to move my stuff from Hawaii to Virginia. Not exactly driving distance.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
I'm one of the poor souls who was in that board. And now it doesn't convene until the month I'm supposed to transfer from my current command. Its so stressful not knowing what I'm supposed to do.

Same here, however mine is between separation versus extension. Just hoping, the decision comes out soon.

exNavyOffRec

Same here, however mine is between separation versus extension. Just hoping, the decision comes out soon.

Why did you decide to separate vice staying in and transferring? In general IWC has low selection rate overall running around 10%

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Why did you decide to separate vice staying in and transferring? In general IWC has low selection rate overall running around 10%

The only reason I was separating is to pursue full-time graduate studies versus online studies. My long-term goal is to start a business, and the lessons-to-be-learned will retain more if I pursue MBA full-time versus online. Plus, master degree makes my application more competitive. Just hitting two birds with one stone, I guess.

I rather try now my everything, in getting commissioned (will apply again on other facets like HSCP and OCS-DCO route while as a student) versus staying enlisted, playing it safe, which just prolongs my end goal of a commissioning (PCS'd, getting settled in on new duty station, welcome aboard eval, etc.).

Plus, I have a Silver Ticket if all commissioning pursuits fail - to streamline back to where I'm at within 1-2 year mark, enlisted-wise.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

The only reason I was separating is to pursue full-time graduate studies versus online studies. My long-term goal is to start a business, and the lessons-to-be-learned will retain more if I pursue MBA full-time versus online. Plus, master degree makes my application more competitive. Just hitting two birds with one stone, I guess.

I rather try now my everything, in getting commissioned (will apply again on other facets like HSCP and OCS-DCO route while as a student) versus staying enlisted, playing it safe, which just prolongs my end goal of a commissioning (PCS'd, getting settled in on new duty station, welcome aboard eval, etc.).

Plus, I have a Silver Ticket if all commissioning pursuits fail - to streamline back to where I'm at within 1-2 year mark, enlisted-wise.
If your goal is to be an active duty officer I would include designators that have a higher chance of selection such as SWO, and DCO usually requires significant knowledge of the field, now not sure how much experience in the field as enlisted you have so that may be something you have, however if your goal is like I mentioned before to be an active duty officer than I would recommend not applying to DCO.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
If your goal is to be an active duty officer I would include designators that have a higher chance of selection such as SWO, and DCO usually requires significant knowledge of the field, now not sure how much experience in the field as enlisted you have so that may be something you have, however if your goal is like I mentioned before to be an active duty officer than I would recommend not applying to DCO.

Yessir, however I am interested only to officer designators that falls within my long-term goals as well. And SWO, being great as it is, is far reach for my long-term goal. I was indeed still wanted to try SWO but along with my pre-staging for separation purposes. It is tough to juggle everything. I only managed to do the OCS-IP package. It will take additional months to complete a package specific to SWO (finding SWO interviewers, motivational statements, etc.)

Either way, the silver lining from not being selected, is I got more time to apply to other designators I am interested:

-HSCP - HCA (Training)
-OCS - IP
-MSC - HCA - DA
-Other branch' IT or HCA-related programs
-Space Force Officer programs?

I appreciate the advise though.

EO87

I'm actually in a similar boat. I'm more inclined to get out of the Navy than stay enlisted but that is due to my actual rate. Nuclear is probably one of the most toxic ratings you can have, and getting out, pursuing my Master's would be beneficial for myself and my family. I am applying for SWO also, which was postponed until August, but if I am not selected prior to my EAOS, then I will most likely separate and look at reapplying for Officer programs then, and even look at other branches.

exNavyOffRec

Yessir, however I am interested only to officer designators that falls within my long-term goals as well. And SWO, being great as it is, is far reach for my long-term goal. I was indeed still wanted to try SWO but along with my pre-staging for separation purposes. It is tough to juggle everything. I only managed to do the OCS-IP package. It will take additional months to complete a package specific to SWO (finding SWO interviewers, motivational statements, etc.)

Either way, the silver lining from not being selected, is I got more time to apply to other designators I am interested:

-HSCP - HCA (Training)
-OCS - IP
-MSC - HCA - DA
-Other branch' IT or HCA-related programs
-Space Force Officer programs?

I appreciate the advise though.

Those are all very tough to get into, especially HCA, the ones I have personally known that were able to get HCA were prior HM's, I do know that they have brought in others, I just didn't know them personally.

GodisGoodAlways

Trust the Process!
Those are all very tough to get into, especially HCA, the ones I have personally known that were able to get HCA were prior HM's, I do know that they have brought in others, I just didn't know them personally.

Good thing sir, I'm a 10-year corpsman, hopefully that will give me some leverage. Hooyah!