• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homosexuals in Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much everyone in the forum is in college or has been through college and [dealt] with the whole gay/lesbian thing at one time or another or lived with or in close proximity to someone who is in fact gay, that is the world we live in today.

Don't forget that many people here went to an Academy or a military college, and 'openly' gay people are few and far between, if there were any at all. I can tell you that no one was openly gay at my school and it was not discussed, unless it was in jest.

Gays have the same opportunities in this world as everyone else, they are allowed to wed one and other at the present time and they are allow to live how they would like. What they choose to do with those rights is their own business. And gays can do job x/y/z just like everyone else.

Not so much, they can only wed/have civil unions in a handful of states and they cannot recieve federal benefits when they do.

Good point.

Living on a ship for long periods of time with someone who runs around in assless chaps will cause problems. And how long before the FOD walk on a carrier deck turns into a gay pride parade?

Seriously?! When we let women on ships did we all start wearing purple panties with pink hearts and curlers? And where are the pillow fights?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
it is unfortunate to see someone killed out of hate and malice. What differs is that he was a victim to a few degenerate a$$holes who targeted him because of his sexuality.

But comparing one crime to another isnt as helpful as looking at the big picture.

2006 the FBI has hate crimes statistics.
51% are Racial crimes; 4700 crimes
15% are from sexual orientation; 1400 crimes

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2006/incidents.html

Would you be willing to bet that there were more than 1400 hate crimes across the country in the year 1963?

And would you be willing to bet that many hate crimes go unreported, especially against the GLBT community? I would certainly put money down on a bet over whether that 1400 number is the result of gross under-reporting. Do you think Gayguy is going to March into a police station in small ltown Texas and report that his home was vandalized because he's gay without a lot of trepidation?

Also, the homosexual community has certainly benefitted from the civil rights struggles that came before them. Thanks to the last civil rights movement, these kinds of crimes are far less accepted. So even if the scale of ignorance and vileness is smaller, I don't think that makes it less worthy of concern and when I read that post, I definitely got the impression it was trying to trivialize concerns over gay issues. That's why I brought up Shepard. It may happen to less people than it did in 1963, but it isn't as though the GLBT community only suffer from a few "harmless" jokes and the inability to marry in some states. There are very real, scary dangers to being openly gay, just as there were to being black. Better odds of not getting your ass kicked doesn't mean it isn't a real issue.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps it has to do w/ my lack of understanding of "snark", but how in the world can you equate women w/ minorities on this issue? The two are completely separate issues. One has to do with physical, natural differences in physical ability, psychology, physiology, etc., the other has to do w/ external skin color. They should never be listed together, IMHO.
Both are groups that had difficulty getting into the military, yet have performed as well as their white male peers.

So, I'm hearing from most that homosexuals can do the job physically and mentally, but the reason we don't want them to be open about serving is our attitudes.

Sounds like an easy fix. When my boss says "Get over it" I can either resign, retire, or suck it up.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

Well, I know I bowed out of this thread, but I was actually going to respond to this, if two things didn't happen.

First, Flash did a great job of doing so.

Second, you pretty much exemplified the majority of the points I was making by posting a litany of brash generalizations and stereotypes about an entire minority.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
WOW!...judging from this post...didn't I see you at Talladega?

reneckslifestyle36nv1.jpg

That's Bristol, not Talladega.

Talladega is the longest track of the series and Bristol is the second shortest.

If you're going to bash rednecks, at least know your NASCAR!!:D

Now, please continue to needlessly debate the oppression of the gay and transgendered.......or bash the gay community.....whichever side you're on.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
If you are going to compare the plight of African-Americans in the 60's to today's homosexuals using statistics, don't forget to take into account their respective percentage of the population.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Shit, I hate sports but I pretend to like sports if an IP asks me if I saw "the game". That, to me, is probably a lot harder than pretending you like pussy. I have to know team names, scores or whatever. They just have to pretend to like pussy...

Haha, I just say I don't watch football and I get a blank stare and they never talk to me again.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Damn it guys, look at the ads I have to look at now that we are talking about all this stuff... and why am I seeing ads anyway? I'm a contributor damn it!!! :D

Attachments

• Homo Ad.png
    Homo Ad.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.