• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GUSTAV: Massive Evil Hurricane of Death! Panic!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Master we're finding out tomorrow afternoon if we take the jets out of Kingsville or not. I just spent 11 hours in the sim building prepping charts for the Onav cross country I was planning on doing 2 weeks from now that may happen tomorrow. Shitty way to spend a Saturday. I really don't want to evac.

MasterBates

a2b2c3-

Can you call me as soon as you hear something? I'd rather find out before we man up and then end up somewhere we don't want to be.

Flying back GSO-MEI-CRP, and definitly don't want to be stuck in MEI with this coming that way but being stuck in Boston or Evac'in to ATL is not a bad gig either.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i guess if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/30/new.orleans/index.html

after reading this, and as heartless as it sounds, now i REALLY want Gustav to finish katrina's dirty work. The government is bending over backwards to help people who can't help themselves, and they still won't leave. This city is a fetid sh!thole, and needs washed off the map. Rebuild it somewhere above sea level if you enjoy coming back to it so much.

funny how there are no details about the massive effort to get orleans out of the city via buses and rail, all paid for by uncle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks MB.

What about when on a float and a something like a tsunami goes down?

Same same. Everybody who flies a -60 is a SAR asset. -60B/R can't carry as many people due to equipment, but you can still jam plenty in there.

God appears ready to finish what He started in '04 in Nawlins.

Just in the interest of "facts," it was '05. Ivan was '04.

MasterBates

With the Sono rack removed and the UYS-1 out as well, ~20 can be jammed in a 60B including crew. I think the "record" was 25ish, but I think they had a few small children in the mix. It's been 3 years so my numbers may be a bit off.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Well, if you guys/ladies are being sent to the Chocolate City for SAR - good luck and God Bless. You're all heroes in my book, even though I do hope the job is finished on NOLA.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have this sneaking suspicion that this won't turn out to be Katrina II: Electric Boogaloo, though. The population of the city is about 60%(ish) of what it was in '05, plus a more efficient evacuation plan. The newsies are already saying the city's a ghost town.

So there's already less people who'll be in need of shelter or rescue. And if Gus spins down a bit, or winds up hitting even just a little further west - both of which are possible, according to the models - NOLA may escape serious damage.

Then we'll have these hordes of helos and supply convoys motoring around looking for something to do. Everybody and their dog will be converging on the city if Gus hits. Of course, in the spectrum of problems, too much help is better than too little, but an embarassment of riches creates a whole 'nother set of difficulties.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
i guess if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/30/new.orleans/index.html

after reading this, and as heartless as it sounds, now i REALLY want Gustav to finish katrina's dirty work. The government is bending over backwards to help people who can't help themselves, and they still won't leave. This city is a fetid sh!thole, and needs washed off the map. Rebuild it somewhere above sea level if you enjoy coming back to it so much.

funny how there are no details about the massive effort to get orleans out of the city via buses and rail, all paid for by uncle.

Some people just never learn... :confused:

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Cue scary, ominous music. Something like maybe Jaws.

at200807_radar.gif

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy crap...the wind just picked up and started dumping down rain. Went from kinda cloudy to storm in nothin' flat.

Guess Gus is here.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I have this sneaking suspicion that this won't turn out to be Katrina II: Electric Boogaloo, though. The population of the city is about 60%(ish) of what it was in '05, plus a more efficient evacuation plan. The newsies are already saying the city's a ghost town.

So there's already less people who'll be in need of shelter or rescue. And if Gus spins down a bit, or winds up hitting even just a little further west - both of which are possible, according to the models - NOLA may escape serious damage.

Then we'll have these hordes of helos and supply convoys motoring around looking for something to do. Everybody and their dog will be converging on the city if Gus hits. Of course, in the spectrum of problems, too much help is better than too little, but an embarassment of riches creates a whole 'nother set of difficulties.
There should be very few to rescue this time. Public officials made a big point that people would not be rescued if they chose to stay. Even the Baratarians were evacuating. And folks were evacuating all of their various critters too. I-10 was quite a menagerie and police and National Guard presence was everywhere in NO before I left. (It looked like most everyone had already evacuated by yesterday.)

Anyone who does not get clipped by the eyewall will probably sustain relatively little property damage. It's those fishermen and people who live on the bayou who will be hurt most, but they will just move a little up the bayou and go on. (Although most refuse to ride out a storm in the shrimp boats anymore.)

If the levees hold on the west bank, then this won't be that big of a deal. But they pulled out all of the stops just in case the river decides to reclaim its course.

Enough of City Park will be left to hold the Voodoo Experience.