• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GUSTAV: Massive Evil Hurricane of Death! Panic!

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The spaghetti models have it going closer to NOLA than the NWS model.

This is what I care about:

at200807_windprob64.gif

Figure that NOLA only received Cat I and Cat II winds (estimated as there is little data on the actual winds due to the widespread power loss) and the levees failed. Now they are more in the upper right quadrant (I'm saying a few prayers that it will track farther west and give 'em room in NOLA)...I'll continue to look at this model closely.

Also, just found out I will be taking off early tomorrow morning to make call outs in the projected path of the storm (did it for Fran, Jean, Ivan a few years back). It will be a good opportunity to fly up to the outer bands (which can be pretty cool from the air) then turn tail north.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
President Bush fired up his evil hurricane-generator of death...run! Hollywood's next.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They better or they are SERIOUSLY going to lose the respect of EVERYONE.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Much discussion yesterday about P'cola being a log hub for any Louisiana relief ops. Apparently Sherman Field can accommodate 60+ H-53's, which was news to me.

You should have seen it (and maybe you did) after Katrina. It was pretty impressive seeing a ton of -60s, several -53s (both USN and USMC) and a smattering of -46s on the apron...before they left for the boat.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should have seen it (and maybe you did) after Katrina. It was pretty impressive seeing a ton of -60s, several -53s (both USN and USMC) and a smattering of -46s on the apron...before they left for the boat.

Nah, I was still in Norfolk then. But I head from the Hummer bubbas who went down there to move helos around. That was a goat-fuck of Babylonian proportions...what happens when you put AF colonels in charge after the fact.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My parents just visited some friends over in Titusville and their neighbor is a Pavehawk pilot. He said they only have a handful of aircraft INCONUS right now, but they're ready to take as many as will work to LA.

As I mentioned earlier, there was already a spool-ex earlier this week for Navy helo crews. Interesting to hear Jax guys are already leaving.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Latest update: GUSTAV is feet-wet. God appears ready to finish what He started in '04 in Nawlins. P'cola is out of the "cone of death" under the "legend" box.

CC is in the cone, but on the edge.

025240W_sm.gif

MasterBates

Any word on NGP/NQI HURREVAC status for the jets? I got a T-45 on the road up here in the Boston area, and the current plan is to fly home tomorrow, but if we stay here or divert somewhere fun it wont break my heart.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Are the -60s that do SAR in this type of situation typically HS/HC/HCS or is it just anybody and everybody to include HSL/HSM?

MasterBates

I was HSL at the time and I flew SAR missions in NOLA. Basically if you had a helo with a hoist (that was not a 53) you were/are a SAR asset. We also did logistics. My "normal" mission there was fly in off the boat with stuff (water, MRE, etc) fuel up at NAS, run down to the gulf to do some GOPLAT damage checking and then Freelance SAR/Water & Food delivery after.