• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

swmonroe88

pilot
Also you would think more of them would go to college just because it’s getting paid for.

You will find during your career that the amount of free time your enlisted dudes have is VERY rate dependent. I was a highly qualified enlisted aircrew instructor (got out as an E-5), and can testify to the fact that GWOT ops tempo combined with other various training deployments and schools would have made finishing, in one enlistment, anything besides a degree in underwater basket weaving from a for-profit school extremely difficult.

RubaDub

You will find during your career that the amount of free time your enlisted dudes have is VERY rate dependent. I was a highly qualified enlisted aircrew instructor (got out as an E-5), and can testify to the fact that GWOT ops tempo combined with other various training deployments and schools would have made finishing, in one enlistment, anything besides a degree in underwater basket weaving from a for-profit school extremely difficult.

I would have to agree. The only way I was able to accomplish a four year degree in business while active duty was a Type 2 “Sea Tour” backed by shore duty.

jalen22

Damn that really is not enough. I didn’t realize it was that low :/ all that I had to go through even with a recruiter was pretty hectic so I can only imagine how much that would have sucked! The important thing is that you are at the board. All we can do now is cross our fingers and keep hitting the gym!
More like hitting the pavement lol.. so much running...

Swimmer91

From what I’ve seen, doing 3 miles at between 7-8 min. pace is what they do in OCS like 5ish times a week.
What are you all doing for fitness? I’m doing just some random combos of running and pushups at different speeds 3-4 times a week. I hope they are doing planks by the time we are there instead of those stupid crunches haha

jalen22

From what I’ve seen, doing 3 miles at between 7-8 min. pace is what they do in OCS like 5ish times a week.
What are you all doing for fitness? I’m doing just some random combos of running and pushups at different speeds 3-4 times a week. I hope they are doing planks by the time we are there instead of those stupid crunches haha
If it's anything like mc boot camp, and it seems like it is, we'll need to do workouts that work explosiveness and rapid changes so transitioning quickly between stuff like pushups to jumping jacks to mountain climbers etc.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
If it's anything like mc boot camp, and it seems like it is, we'll need to do workouts that work explosiveness and rapid changes so transitioning quickly between stuff like pushups to jumping jacks to mountain climbers etc.
I’m pretty sure it’s Marine Corps DIs that run OCS. I could be mistaken but I feel like I remember hearing that or seeing it somewhere...

swmonroe88

pilot
I'm not excited for that lol

I guess more so from the "hindsight is 20/20" perspective. Enlisted bootcamp seemed like the hardest thing at the time, but in retrospect I think that was just because I was young and had nothing to compare it to. I had quite a few fleet experiences that made the controlled environment and finite timescale of bootcamp seem not that bad by comparison. It will be interesting to see how OCS relates to this.

jalen22

I guess more so from the "hindsight is 20/20" perspective. Enlisted bootcamp seemed like the hardest thing at the time, but in retrospect I think that was just because I was young and had nothing to compare it to. I had quite a few fleet experiences that made the controlled environment and finite timescale of bootcamp seem not that bad by comparison. It will be interesting to see how OCS relates to this.
Exactly my thoughts too. I realized that boot camp was the hardest thing I've done but definitely not the most difficult. It will be very interesting now that I have a frame of reference to go off of.

OperationChungus

pilot
I found it being monotonous at times. The PT and smoke sessions we had weren’t bad with the DI’s I had, just couldn’t get over how boring and long the days felt. Weeks went by quickly, however.

exNavyOffRec

The performing part is not a problem. Maybe it is because I am active and have been in almost a decade but even the thought of being selected as a pilot (not to mention Officer in general), is an astronomical feat. It doesn’t happen as often as you would think. Hell, at my current command (4-star staff command), we’ve had 1. One. Only one person get picked up in the last 5-6 years. It’s nuts. Reasoning for that is enlisted do not go to college full time, never get a degree, can’t apply.

I was surprised how many of my junior guys had degrees/finished degrees that worked for me, most never said anything about it, I found out doing regular service record reviews or just talking with them.

The biggest issue is that quite a few commands give their enlisted bad info when it comes to applying for OCS, one of my commands the officer who was to assist enlisted was telling people 29 was the max age, yet another said that if enlisted degree types didn't matter (for CEC), another told guys that enlisted applying had their applications reviewed for selection as they arrived at NRC.

Thanos

I completed Insanity in high school, and have done similar HIIT programs in college, so if that’s kind of OCS’ physical fitness framework, that’s fine with me. I need to get back into it though; I started again in summer when I was applying for the August board, but when I wasn’t reviewed, morale kinda dropped and I stopped. Will force myself to begin again soon. And I too hope they implement the planks soon, I’m much better at those than crunches; I suck at crunches and they’re terrible for your back anyway.

The whole waiver thing does concern me. The Navy only knows because I wanted to be honest and didn’t want to lie. So idk what my chances are at this point, but whatever happens is out of my hands I guess

Last edited: