• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

Devil Duck

If someone was to go through a official 'groundwork' intel training program in another agency(equivalent of drill weekend training program) would the navy still require that person to go through their program?
Technically yes, if the course was not completed with the Navy. Have meet several Intel Professionals who were picked up as Intel Os. Have seen various results. One fellas NIOBC instructors made him attend a couple DWEs before sending him on to Phase II. Another individual was sent on to the entirety of Phase I. Have meet several former ISs who were sent straight to Phase II.

Process may be different under the new curriculum. In the past, has been pretty uneven between individuals. A lot of it seems to have to do with years of experience and additional Intel Professional qualifications.

MasterBates

Anyone know what the IP/IW training entails?
spy%20vs%20spy.jpg

cdb26

For those of you who did not get picked up in March, did you by any chance ask your OR about whether he/she had any insight as to improving the application package and also, characteristics of those who were actually picked up?

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Standard reply would be to get certifications or training in the field you are applying for, start an advanced degree or continue on with the one you have, do community work, improve in physical fitness etc....

All of these things should be included in your reconsideration letter also.
Get better LOR's and get Interviews from the best people you can find in the field. (I think they are doing an IDC Panel on this now)

Hope this helps.

cdb26

Thanks, mbstroz...while it's not practical for me to begin another advanced degree, I have certainly been busy in the community service and physical fitness department, that is for certain.

Regarding the Letter of Reconsideration, my recruiter told me it wouldn't be necessary, but from what I've been reading on this blog, it seems like it will be required? If so, what exactly does it consist of? Is it a specific form letter that you need to fill out or do you just put something together that explicitly states you are asking for reconsideration and highlighting any improvements/differences in your application package compared to the previous Board?

I have received an additional LOR (for a grand total of 4) from one of my direct superiors...I have also asked my recruiter to set up another 1 or 2 in-person interviews. What sorts of things are you doing on your end to improve your app? Btw, I'm going for Intel...if I recall, you are in for IP?

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
IP and IW this time. I am good for both so with the panel interview, I should be good to go.

For my reconsideration letter, I went with the following style. I don't know of any others so I hope this was good enough. I'm substituting my own spots with fill in areas:

I'm pretty sure the reconsideration letter is required if it has been less than 6 months since you last submitted (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

30 December 2010

To Whom It May Concern

Subject: REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION
Since my non-select decision in Sept, 2010 for (JOB here ex.INTEL), I have put forth all my efforts in improving myself academically, physically, and mentally in hopes of making myself a better candidate for the Navy (JOB HERE) program.
For my improvements academically, (Insert any higher education here).
I have continued to improve myself physically by (add what ever you have done physically or any PRT scores you have accomplished).
I improved myself mentally by (enter any thing like certifications, community service and leadership things here).
I feel that I am a (insert something here that speaks to why you are better now than before and that you know you will be a great Officer).

Very Respectfully,

Your Name Here

cdb26

IP and IW this time. I am good for both so with the panel interview, I should be good to go.

For my reconsideration letter, I went with the following style. I don't know of any others so I hope this was good enough. I'm substituting my own spots with fill in areas:

I'm pretty sure the reconsideration letter is required if it has been less than 6 months since you last submitted (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

30 December 2010

To Whom It May Concern

Subject: REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION
Since my non-select decision in Sept, 2010 for (JOB here ex.INTEL), I have put forth all my efforts in improving myself academically, physically, and mentally in hopes of making myself a better candidate for the Navy (JOB HERE) program.
For my improvements academically, (Insert any higher education here).
I have continued to improve myself physically by (add what ever you have done physically or any PRT scores you have accomplished).
I improved myself mentally by (enter any thing like certifications, community service and leadership things here).
I feel that I am a (insert something here that speaks to why you are better now than before and that you know you will be a great Officer).

Very Respectfully,

Your Name Here

Thank you, Mbstroz. I sincerely appreciate your candid response...I notice you are on this Board quite a bit and have been very helpful to others (as they have been to you and all of us). I really wish you the best of luck come September. I truly believe it's people like us that the Navy is ultimately searching high and low for and if it takes several Boards for them to really focus in on our specific applications to the point the want to select us, well, it makes it that much more sweet and satisfying for us. Again, I appreciate the insightful response and I am full steam ahead for September Intel.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I sure do JasonB.
Security+
ITIL V3 Cert
MCP

Just started studying for the CISSP
Everything else is Degrees and Experience.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Glad to help cdb26..I hope that in the course of pursuing my own dreams, I can help someone else with theirs. It can be pretty daunting starting out with this and there are many great people in here who have helped even when they weren't selected themselves.

I sure do JasonB.
Security+
ITIL V3 Cert
MCP

Just started studying for the CISSP
Everything else is Degrees and Experience.

Nice. I have Security+ and MCSA. Im hoping to have MCITP and C|EH done by Sept.
Rest is BS in IT and a ton of experience.

Hopefully we both get picked up!

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I just finished a course for the CEH so I also want to take it before Sept (well Aug 20 since that's final submit date). I finish my MS IT in 5 weeks so I hope that is the push I needed to get picked.

conn14

Thanks, mbstroz...while it's not practical for me to begin another advanced degree, I have certainly been busy in the community service and physical fitness department, that is for certain.

Regarding the Letter of Reconsideration, my recruiter told me it wouldn't be necessary, but from what I've been reading on this blog, it seems like it will be required? If so, what exactly does it consist of? Is it a specific form letter that you need to fill out or do you just put something together that explicitly states you are asking for reconsideration and highlighting any improvements/differences in your application package compared to the previous Board?

I have received an additional LOR (for a grand total of 4) from one of my direct superiors...I have also asked my recruiter to set up another 1 or 2 in-person interviews. What sorts of things are you doing on your end to improve your app? Btw, I'm going for Intel...if I recall, you are in for IP?

I was a one-shot kill for DCO Intel in the September 2010 Boards. From what I have heard after the fact, the endorsement of the CO of your reserve unit (mine was NIRR Washington) was absolutely crucial. I interviewed in front of a panel of four 0-6s and then one-on-one with the CO and XO of the NIRR. They ultimately rack and stack the candidates before submitting them to the board in TN. I do not know if this is a DC-specific situation (DC has the most applicants for Intel/IP/IW consistently every board for obvious reasons).

Good luck in September.

cdb26

Conn,

I appreciate the input...I agree with it 100%. That's why I've requested additional in-person interviews. I'm hoping a solid round of interviews will put me over the top this time around. I live overseas, which has made the process quite challenging (and frustrating at times), but I hope that things will work out.