• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

free time in a-pool

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
i was going to be doing a flying gig

You would not only have to route a chit for the job but also another ORM chit for doing a job that could potentially kill you. And you should catch the Flight Mgt people at a good time because, if I were a betting man (which I can be from time to time), I would guess that it will get shot down....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thats a better way of putting it I guess. I just figured if the choice was to fly som GA stuff for a month or two ....
I seriously doubt they are going to let you take a flying job especially if it is involves overnights or flying during normal working hours. It's not about if you're working or not, it's about you being available if they decide they want you to work.

If you're talking about part time CFIing where you can come and go as you please, that is a whole different thing.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You would not only have to route a chit for the job but also another ORM chit for doing a job that could potentially kill you. And you should catch the Flight Mgt people at a good time because, if I were a betting man (which I can be from time to time), I would guess that it will get shot down....
The web of admin BS would be enough for me to say F$%& it ... then again, I wasn't really looking to fill my paid vacation with ... work!?!?! :eek: Read up on some of the pubs, get as far ahead as you can if you really want to push yourself. You will be busy enough soon enough.

Hursel110

None
I seem to remember, from my check in to the A-pool (back in September), that if you will be flying for any reason other than Navy training, then you will be on leave. This included both GA as well as comair flying.

Maybe the rules changed since then, but I doubt it.

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
They will not approve chits for working during business hours (weekdays 0730-1600). They want you able to come in if they need you.

If they find out that you are working during business hours, you will end up with a stash job that keeps you there all day.

When we checked in, the flight management Ensigns told us that the only possible exemption to this was to substitute teach at one of the local school, but I have heard some rumors that they are not allowing that anymore.

steeleshark2

None
What about the flying thing with GA while not on leave? I am an active member with the Civil Air Patrol and do intend to be active while in Pensacola. Also, pilots need to stay current to be safe.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Our unit has a lot of Brett-type STA-21 guys whose "expertise" you miss out on when going BDCP. Invite an OC over to a college party, and hilarity will ensue...

I will also have to agree with this comment. Being an OC myself, I enjoy a good college party, it's funny to watch the young ones run around when all you gotta do is sit back, relax and enjoy the view.:icon_smil

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
What about the flying thing with GA while not on leave? I am an active member with the Civil Air Patrol and do intend to be active while in Pensacola. Also, pilots need to stay current to be safe.

News Flash, your job isnt to be in the civil air patrol, its to be a naval officer. Stucon could give 2 sh!ts about weather or not you are staying current with your GA flying, you know why? Because they arent going to let you do it anyways, and as far as they are concerned whats safer, you doing general aviaiton enough to keep current or you not flying GA at all? Not flying at all. You crazy kids enjoy your paid vacation because the second you class up your going to wish you were back in the a pool, and that is the truth. And by the way if you need a job, become a counselor to young women (18-22) of questionable morals like every other a pool ensign.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

Haha, no more Cessna flying for you...EVER. No one in A-Pool is allowed to do any flying of their own....that goes for the entire training pipeline as well. Looks like your CAP career is going to be on hold for a few years, sorry.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Haha, no more Cessna flying for you...EVER. No one in A-Pool is allowed to do any flying of their own....that goes for the entire training pipeline as well. Looks like your CAP career is going to be on hold for a few years, sorry.

I have no doubt it will be a redass to try what was being asked while in the pool, but I haven't heard about "no flying" at all during flight school. A standing ORM sheet will be required (just like boating), but I haven't heard it being completely off limits.

As for in the pool, what others have said. Your job is to muster, do a stash job, and/or be available if they need you.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I don't even know why you would want to give up that much of your free time. Hell, I was in the pool for over a year and every now and then I wish I was still there.

Kycntryboy

pilot
.. Hell, I was in the pool for over a year and every now and then I wish I was still there.
Oh yes, Alabama_matt one of the legends of A-pool :D

Important Student Notes
Note: No additional flight training is to take place outside of IFS while enrolled in the IFS program.

Off the IFS website: this tells me that IFS is an exception, or at least that is how I read it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I have no doubt it will be a redass to try what was being asked while in the pool, but I haven't heard about "no flying" at all during flight school. A standing ORM sheet will be required (just like boating), but I haven't heard it being completely off limits.

As for in the pool, what others have said. Your job is to muster, do a stash job, and/or be available if they need you.

I'm almost postive we were told this on Day Zero of API....in December. I suppose things change.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind that there's a difference between the cited "flight training," and plain old GA. Presumably, if you're not upgrading your ticket, you're not "training."

Brett