• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for Navy, Marines or Air Force?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I recently read an article giving the basic differences. The main one being that the air-force is generally new compared to the navy. Therefore, they don't have a lot of tradition to fall back on, so they had to create a bunch of rules and strict guidelines. The article said navy aviators get to fly and think for themselves, while the air-force guys gotta stick to the "cookbook" and they can't deviate from it. The navy aviators are encouraged to think for themselves and use they're training and personal intuition to get the job done. Go Navy!.... after i get pro rec'd that is.

Is that what Naval Aviators do :icon_tong

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I recently read an article giving the basic differences. The main one being that the air-force is generally new compared to the navy. Therefore, they don't have a lot of tradition to fall back on, so they had to create a bunch of rules and strict guidelines. The article said navy aviators get to fly and think for themselves, while the air-force guys gotta stick to the "cookbook" and they can't deviate from it. The navy aviators are encouraged to think for themselves and use they're training and personal intuition to get the job done. Go Navy!.... after i get pro rec'd that is.

I thought it was all volleyball and toweling off. It isn't?

HuggyU2

None

This is a very cliche'd comment, that is beginning to lose relevance with time, although there is some truth to it. However, I know and work with enough Naval, Marine, and CG aviators that have flown in the USAF to have a pretty good idea of where this cliche falls apart.

From a personal side, I've made a point over the years of doing my best as a non-Naval pilot of learning how your folks "do your thing". I even tried to work a Marine Corps exchange: I would have been the selectee, but the USAF shot the exchange down late in the game. Since then, I've gotten orientation hops in a fair amount of Navy, Marine, and CG hardware, and have had the chance to see how different communities work, albeit briefly. I also work directly with the USN TPS guys on getting them in the U-2 for orientation flights each year.

Operationally, we all have stories on how "the other Service" dropped the ball, thanks to their "culture". Neither Service is perfect, and while the USAF should adopt more Navy/Marine-isms, the reverse is true too.

What's my point? I disagree with your "...encouraged to think for themselves..." comment, and the implication that I, as an AF pilot, do not. You could not be more wrong. That's ok: we all need time to learn and grow. I'm guessing you are quite new to military aviation.
When you've got the background and experience of seeing USAF ops, and when you have plenty of close friends with 6-9+ years as USAF pilots, then maybe you will have a clearer picture. Until then, keep an open mind, and learn all you can about all the Services.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are stereotypes, and stereotypes are often wrong...but they also do come from somewhere.

I can say from my experience that, very generally, the stereotype that AF training conditions you to await permission, while Navy training conditions you to do something unless forbidden, is true. Very generally, though. I've worked with some very aggressive AF pilots (especially the Hog dudes in Afghanistan), and some nervous-nellie "check with Bravo Whiskey first" Navy guys.

The Navy is willing to accept tasking whether we can actually do it or not, and then assumes that assigning a bunch of supervision will somehow make it get done.

When they have to play joint, both the AF and Marines assume their way of doing something is best. The AF's method of resolving that is, "everybody do it our way, or we don't play." The Marines, "we'll just do it ourselves, thanks." The Navy goes along with whatever, like the fat kid who's just happy to get picked for the team.

Reactions: m26

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
We really need a "Pissy Wannabes Hall of Fame" sticky here.

Jencock - I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but you do not belong to our club. Members of our club - dudes and chicks who've actually walked the walk, put on a uniform and done something - get to talk shit and tell us we're assholes. You don't. Besides which, you're cocking an attitude with a bunch of mid-to-senior-grade officers when you're trying to get yourself into our club. So either you're counting on the anonimity of the Interwebs, in which case you're a craven internet tough guy, or you're a self-destructing moron. Either way, you will not win this argument. If you're too proud and stupid to realize it's a bad idea to rant when you don't have the remotest clue what you're talking about, then you're welcome to get the fuck out. Regardless, shut your mouth while the grownups are talking.

Just saw this post by UF...outstanding :icon_smil

phrogpilot73

When they have to play joint, both the AF and Marines assume their way of doing something is best. The AF's method of resolving that is, "everybody do it our way, or we don't play." The Marines, "we'll just do it ourselves, thanks."
Never has a truer statement been made.

Clux4

Banned
When they have to play joint, both the AF and Marines assume their way of doing something is best. The AF's method of resolving that is, "everybody do it our way, or we don't play." The Marines, "we'll just do it ourselves, thanks." The Navy goes along with whatever, like the fat kid who's just happy to get picked for the team.

What about the Army?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about the Army?

Damned if I know. I've worked with Army dudes exactly twice - as an LNO to a Patriot battalion (where I learned, never ever fly within a Patriot battery's engagement envelope) and on IA in Africa. Other than that, and talking to some JTAC's on the ground, that's about it. They kinda do their own thing and don't show up to joint exercises that often, that I've seen.

busdriver

None
Caveat: I have no joint experience above the tactical level and I'm an AF helo pilot, in no way representative of big blue. After re-reading what I just wrote you can probably ignore anything else I have to say on the topic!

In my limited joint experience (mostly doing Medevac, I wouldn't consider my SOF support experience as "joint") the Army tends to have a very similar outlook as the Air Force. We both tend to feel that "our way" is the best way and if you don't want to to do it "our way" it's because you're dumb. At the personal level the jointness works, once you involve the organizational level (squadrons and company level on up) they start to butt heads.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Caveat: I have no joint experience above the tactical level and I'm an AF helo pilot, in no way representative of big blue. After re-reading what I just wrote you can probably ignore anything else I have to say on the topic!

In my limited joint experience (mostly doing Medevac, I wouldn't consider my SOF support experience as "joint") the Army tends to have a very similar outlook as the Air Force. We both tend to feel that "our way" is the best way and if you don't want to to do it "our way" it's because you're dumb. At the personal level the jointness works, once you involve the organizational level (squadrons and company level on up) they start to butt heads.

Question for you Busdriver; Do AF helo guys get treated like second class citizens? I just assume with all the crazy expensive jets and big name projects it'd be easy for big blue to push you guys into the corner.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
soooo....wait. I REALLY wanna fly fighter jets, what branch should I pick? :confused:

Picking a branch of service based off which one will get you "fighter jets" is probably not the best course of action. I would suggest figuring out which branch you'd like to be in if you COULDN'T fly, and then shoot for jets in that branch. You're going to get whatever it is that that service needs at that time. No guarantees. So you need to be satisfied both in the air, and on the ground.

Also, I know your new but the "How do I get jets" or "what percentage get jets" kinda questions usually get you banned pretty quick. I would suggest reading the forum rules before you post again.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
wannaflywindy said:
soooo....wait. I REALLY wanna fly fighter jets, what branch should I pick? :confused:
First off ... don't ask this extraordinarily stupid question on the website again, unless you want to be banned.
BINGO!!! We have a winner, folks !!!

Even the borderline retarded jocks in the HANG get to fly F-15s ... there is no justice in the world.
(trust me on this one ... I've drunk w/ some of their 'best') Had to go around 'more than once' @ HNL because of their crappy flight discipline and BA headwork, too ... :))