• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for Navy, Marines or Air Force?

busdriver

None
Question for you Busdriver; Do AF helo guys get treated like second class citizens? I just assume with all the crazy expensive jets and big name projects it'd be easy for big blue to push you guys into the corner.

Depends on who's in charge. For a long time, the Rescue community struggled to get funding, things have gotten better in the past decade or so but we'll never have the money the fast movers get.

HuggyU2

None
The real answer??...
Doesn't matter. Because once you are "done" with whichever Service you choose,... you can apply to the U-2 Program....
... and then life is good.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Depends on who's in charge. For a long time, the Rescue community struggled to get funding, things have gotten better in the past decade or so but we'll never have the money the fast movers get.

If you want it out of UPT, is it kind of a slam dunk? Or "Needs of the Air Force" type thing depending on slots avail?

KEITH.MAX

Banned
I dont know what the "average" Air Men does but I can tell you what I saw..

NO YOU CAN'T ... YOU'RE BANNED, ISLAMABAD SPAMMER

busdriver

None
Sorry, just saw this. Everything is needs of the service, no matter the service. Timing and luck help, but being good is the only thing you have any control over.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Not going to lie, didn't feel like reading all ten pages so I skipped ahead a bit; so if this has been answered already, chew me out and point me to the right page.

What about Navy v Marine as far as flying duties, and camaraderie amongst the people in each branch? I'm applying to the Navy currently, but it always seemed to me that Marines have much more pride in their history and patronage about their branch. They are proud to be Marines; don't feel like I hear the same about the Navy as often.

Not saying the Navy doesn't have any of that, but all I see on "making of a Marine" videos are DIs yelling like hell, and each Marine speaking of their honor for serving in the Marines; I don't see the Navy celebrating the Navy's birthday. Maybe it's just a different mindset between the branches?

Any thoughts?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Not gonna chew you out. I'll let others do that if they want to. I'm in a good mood.

That being said, Marines are Marines. They tend to be pretty motivated. I almost went Marines before I decided I really didn't like running and doing the whole moto-thing all the time. Not that they do, but that was my perspective at the time. Went Navy, and never looked back. I have tons of pride being a Naval Officer, and I don't know anyone who regrets joining the service they did.

If you go into Naval Aviation, we all train together: Navy, Marines, Coasties, and Allied Nations.

And yes, the Navy celebrates the Navy Birthday. It's a pretty big shindig. The Navy and Marine Corps have great traditions and a real reverence for the past that you won't find in a lot of organizations. We celebrate and honor the past. When it comes to that aspect, I think we all share the same "mindset".

81montedriver

pilot
Not going to lie, didn't feel like reading all ten pages so I skipped ahead a bit; so if this has been answered already, chew me out and point me to the right page.

What about Navy v Marine as far as flying duties, and camaraderie amongst the people in each branch? I'm applying to the Navy currently, but it always seemed to me that Marines have much more pride in their history and patronage about their branch. They are proud to be Marines; don't feel like I hear the same about the Navy as often.

Not saying the Navy doesn't have any of that, but all I see on "making of a Marine" videos are DIs yelling like hell, and each Marine speaking of their honor for serving in the Marines; I don't see the Navy celebrating the Navy's birthday. Maybe it's just a different mindset between the branches?

Any thoughts?

Read the ten pages. You already look stupid for asking something that has been asked a million times.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Obviously there are a lot more Naval Aviators on board a carrier than Marines. Do they share the same facilities (bunks, ready rooms etc)? Or are they completely separate entities?

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I didn't mean it to come off like that. I just was trying to separate Marines from Navy.