• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for Navy, Marines or Air Force?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Obviously there are a lot more Naval Aviators on board a carrier than Marines. Do they share the same facilities (bunks, ready rooms etc)? Or are they completely separate entities?

Fully segregated. They are only allowed to come up from the gallows when walking to or from their aircraft. Otherwise they live in the engine room, in sleeping bags, eating MRE's, and cleaning their rifles/polishing boots/singing the Marine Corps hymn.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Fully segregated. They are only allowed to come up from the gallows when walking to or from their aircraft. Otherwise they live in the engine room, in sleeping bags, eating MRE's, and cleaning their rifles/polishing boots/singing the Marine Corps hymn.
Guess I deserved that one!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
And...just like airplanes, equipment, and funding the Marines only get used sheets and pillowcases, leftover scraps from the chow hall, and have to collect the Navy's dumped gas to fuel their aircraft.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
And of course, if you must speak to a Marine, you must learn the language.

For Example:
Marine- "Yut, yut, kill, semper fi, yut kill"
Proper Response- "Oorah, yut yut"

Forgive my rusty language.

This is mandatory when serving in close proximity to aforementioned Teufelhunden. If you fail to learn their ancient and honored language , it's a Captain's Mast topside for a flogging.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have always enjoyed the fact that "oorah" or "oorah sir" is an appropriate substitute for "good morning/afternoon/evening". I have always wanted to reply "hizzah" but I don't think they would understand

KBayDog

I have always enjoyed the fact that "oorah" or "oorah sir" is an appropriate substitute for "good morning/afternoon/evening". I have always wanted to reply "hizzah" but I don't think they would understand

I don't know when this started (I've only noticed it over the past 4-5 years), but I do not consider it a proper greeting. I will never greet a superior with anything other than "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening."

KBayDog

If you fail to learn their ancient and honored language , it's a Captain's Mast topside for a flogging.

We prefer to handle things at the lowest level.

For example, if you and your cheap winging class fail to provide enough pizza and beer for Marine guests at your soft-patch ceremony, you all risk being flogged on the spot.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know when this started (I've only noticed it over the past 4-5 years), but I do not consider it a proper greeting. I will never greet a superior with anything other than "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening."

Rog. I just always assumed that it was legit on the Marine side.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Threadjack...I've always said rog, roger, roger that, etc. whenever I received and understood something. Most of the crewman/pilots I've known have been the same way. However, my buddy (prior crewman) got reamed by his VT CO for saying that multiple times during a flight the other day. I guess the CO thought he was being a smartass. Any advice/clarification?

KBayDog

Somewhere along the line it has become acceptable, apparently. It's nails on the chalkboard to me.

When someone "ooh-rah's" me, I simply respond with "Good (morning, etc.)."

HU16Flier

Hey everybody,

I am a 2d Lt in the AF and about to graduate from Nav school. I wanted to switch to the Navy when I was in AFROTC but the AF pulled me back and told me that because I was contracted, I couldn't do that without jeapadizing my commission. Now that I am active duty, I want to pursue a carreer in the Navy. I understand that its possible after I finish my ADSC, but what I haven't been able to figure out is, will the Navy upgrade me to pilot, or will I have to go in as an NFO. Also if I upgrade to pilot in the AF and then transfer to the Navy, would that wreck my chances to make the Navy a career?