• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First of Navy's new CWO Aviators pin on their wings!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not sure way his NFO wings aren't showing yet, I approved the request 2 days ago and his profile says they should be there.......I'll pm an admin and see if they can fix it.

phrogpilot73

Not sure way his NFO wings aren't showing yet, I approved the request 2 days ago and his profile says they should be there.......I'll pm an admin and see if they can fix it.
I bet I know... It's buried deep in the system somewhere and it looks like this:

if (user_profile_paygrade >= 'O-1') {
if (user_profile_wings = 1) {
DisplayWings();
return 0;
}
else {
return 0;
}
}
else {
return 0;
}

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bet I know... It's buried deep in the system somewhere and it looks like this:

if (user_profile_paygrade >= 'O-1') {
if (user_profile_wings = 1) {
DisplayWings();
return 0;
}
else {
return 0;
}
}
else {
return 0;
}

Aah, Beadwindow! You've revealed the keys to the kingdom!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I fixed the glitch. They work now....

FWIW, I've written up a great sticky about how and why wings don't always show up. Sorry HAL, the smartass in me couldn't be restrained.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's a "I'm too lazy to look it up" question. I initially thought warrant officers got "warrants" vice commissions, hence the name. Then I was told that WO-1 and maybe WO-2 did not receive commissions, but that 3,4,5s did. Any validity to this?

phrogpilot73

Here's a "I'm too lazy to look it up" question. I initially thought warrant officers got "warrants" vice commissions, hence the name. Then I was told that WO-1 and maybe WO-2 did not receive commissions, but that 3,4,5s did. Any validity to this?
In all services, WO-1 has a warrant, but not a commission. WO-2's and above are commissioned. Since the Navy did away with the WO-1 rank in 1975, all of their Warrant Officers are commissioned. In the USMC, WO-1 is warranted, WO-2 and above are commissioned.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's going to be interesting working out how the FWOs will fit into the ready room, seeing as they hold a much different place than the warrants we're used to (aviators vs. technical experts).

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if the Warrant Officer pilots will be able to get PIC and FCF qualed??

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They'll have ground jobs. From the description of the program, sounds like they'll essentially be on a permanent JOPA loop. Squadron, shore (Tracom, RAG, etc), squadron, shore, and so on. Their ground jobs will be typical JOPA ground jobs, and they'll be pilots and FOs like all the others. In years to come, you'll have the added bonus of having guys with the quals and as much time in the plane as the Hinges, but not always getting pulled off the flight schedule for Hinge Rites (daily briefings, meetings, etc).

BourneID

pilot
Does anyone know if the Warrant Officer pilots will be able to get PIC and FCF qualed???

What sense would it make to keep them from getting these quals, like Fester said
They'll have ground jobs. From the description of the program, sounds like they'll essentially be on a permanent JOPA loop. Squadron, shore (Tracom, RAG, etc), squadron, shore, and so on. Their ground jobs will be typical JOPA ground jobs, and they'll be pilots and FOs like all the others. In years to come, you'll have the added bonus of having guys with the quals and as much time in the plane as the Hinges, but not always getting pulled off the flight schedule for Hinge Rites (daily briefings, meetings, etc).

These will be the guys eventually training new pilots, would you want a pipeline instructor not PIC or FCF qualed?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bourne, I owe you a further apology. I apparently missed you were selected for the program, which would make you even more of an expert on the selection process. Congrats.

These will be the guys eventually training new pilots, would you want a pipeline instructor not PIC or FCF qualed?

Interestingly, there are guys that show up. Sometimes there's a "story" as to why, sometimes it's just timing (IA pops before they can build PIC time).

BourneID

pilot
Gator thanks, and although I wouldn't say expert, I am just a little familiar. Honestly who knows what will happen when it comes time for us on Shore Duty, I know the AVOPS LDO/CWO NFO program those guys were supposed to go to pipeline training commands after their sea tours, and only a few did, the rest started filling normal AVOPS billets again, so just because the Navy has a plan, doesn't mean its solid, hell we call end up in a VR squadron after our first tour.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weren't those guys (AVOPS CWO) kind of a different animal? They were going through the VTs same time as I was (2001-2) and the gouge was that they were senior AWs that the P-3 community wanted to keep flying.