• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That looks serious, some decent sheet metal work there. Looks like the the wing got hit, is that an area for fuel storage?
The whole A-4 wing is a fuel tank ("wet wing" = 3,800#). Had to come all the way 'bock sheep' plugged into a K-A3 Tanker. Entire one-piece wing replacement was required... took months, but it did fly again. Tough little 'Hawk! ;)
NK-604 - 149567.jpg
BzB

loui86dz

Do or do not... there is no try-Master Yoda
Checking into final select purgatory. I was selected for IW in the April/June IDC board. I just finished my interview with a background investigator today for a top secret clearance. My recruiter thinks I'll ship out in October/November. I am hoping he's right but I have already prepared myself mentally for a longer wait haha.

avid

Pro Rec Y SNA
There isn't a timeline for this service agreement we have to sign is there? I tried to get this taken care of today but my OPM told me to come back Thursday because he was swamped with work.

xltn

haha of course not. I need to ask my processor what will happen to my old mypay account. In this case, he probably forgot that I'm prior.

But I forgot my ID and PW :confused:

Last edited:

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I'm just trying to dot all my I's and cross all my T's before I presume to contact my OR with a (tactfully worded), "Hey, are you sure I can wait 40+ days to swear-in?" based on something I read on the inter-web.

I'm not trying to argue for the heck of it - if that's how it's coming across.
I got my FINSEL back at the beginning of July, and my recruiter has told me that I'll be swearing in sometime in the first week of August. However, I looked back at the Navy Recruiting manual, specifically Chapter 8 Section 4 Page 1 (page 47 of this document) wherein it states:

IRR officer candidates (non-collegiates) must enlist within 15 working days of receiving their Final Select Letter.

I'm inclined to trust that my OR knows what he's doing, but this has me a little worried...

jander12

pilot
I got my FINSEL back at the beginning of July, and my recruiter has told me that I'll be swearing in sometime in the first week of August. However, I looked back at the Navy Recruiting manual, specifically Chapter 8 Section 4 Page 1 (page 47 of this document) wherein it states:

IRR officer candidates (non-collegiates) must enlist within 15 working days of receiving their Final Select Letter.

I'm inclined to trust that my OR knows what he's doing, but this has me a little worried...
My best semi-educated guess (and maybe @RUFiO181 wouldn't mind clearing this up once and for all - please and thank you), we're not Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Officer Candidates (OCs). The wording in the instruction implies that IRR OCs enlist within 15 days, but as far as I know we're not anything but selected applicants (e.g., we're not in an IRR status before we swear-in. I'm not sure that we are afterwards either).

Edit: We didn't have to do a DD368 (Conditional Release)
From the OCS Application Checklist:

prior service OCS checklist.PNG

Last edited:

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
My best semi-educated guess (and maybe @RUFiO181 wouldn't mind clearing this up once and for all - please and thank you), we're not Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Officer Candidates (OCs). The wording in the instruction implies that IRR OCs enlist within 15 days, but as far as I know we're not anything but selected applicants (e.g., we're not in an IRR status before we swear-in. I'm not sure that we are afterwards either).
Clarification would be helpful. I was under the assumption that we enter the IRR for the period of time between when we swear in and when we arrive at OCS. However, upon re-reading the document I linked, that could also be interpreted as instructions for OCS applicants who are in the IRR (from prior service) at the time of application. Reading Chapter 4 of the same manual indicates (on p. 31) that the NRD "completes enlistment documents and service agreement," with no indication of a timeline. My only personal concern is whether there is enough time between my swearing-in and my OCS date for my orders to be generated.

Again, I'm going to err on the side of trusting that my OR knows what he's doing; he has gotten me this far in the process, I have no reason to doubt his competence at this point.

This also demonstrates the danger of the Internet; I don't really have a lot of context for the information in this manual, which makes confusion or misinterpretation much more likely.

AndreasW

Clarification would be helpful. I was under the assumption that we enter the IRR for the period of time between when we swear in and when we arrive at OCS. However, upon re-reading the document I linked, that could also be interpreted as instructions for OCS applicants who are in the IRR (from prior service) at the time of application. Reading Chapter 4 of the same manual indicates (on p. 31) that the NRD "completes enlistment documents and service agreement," with no indication of a timeline. My only personal concern is whether there is enough time between my swearing-in and my OCS date for my orders to be generated.

Again, I'm going to err on the side of trusting that my OR knows what he's doing; he has gotten me this far in the process, I have no reason to doubt his competence at this point.

This also demonstrates the danger of the Internet; I don't really have a lot of context for the information in this manual, which makes confusion or misinterpretation much more likely.

The time from when you swear in to when you arrive at OCS should work toward your IRR time once you leave the Navy, but you are not actually IRR.