• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

busdriver

None
Jesus, Motballie, you obviously have no real experience in foreign affairs. We gave money and funds to the cause in Afghanistan, but due to the political ramifications of the time we had to separate our selves, so we gave it all to the Pakistani ISI. The Paki ISI does not share the same political alliances that it's parent government does, as a result, an inordinate amount of support went to extreme elements inline with the ISI's ideology. So while we defeated the FSU in Afghanistan, our subsequent non involvement left a power vacuum. The resulting lawlessness allowed a group such as the Taliban to step in and create a relatively more secure day to day lifestyle. If you read a bit about the history, the Taliban didn't start out as a super repressive regime it would become. They started out as the sole people willing to bring peace to a world of anarchy.

Unfortuneatly, I can't quote a specific article backing what I'm saying (I know this is akin to saying I am rambling) but I've always likened the ISI to the IGRC in their relation to the will of the people.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
But even with all of those arms we delivered, they still only constitute a part of the massive amount of weaponry that is lying around/been used in that country. If they just used US delivered weapons, they would have run out of ammo years ago.

So, we did not create the Taliban. We did not create Al Qaeda. We did not arm either one of those groups. And we sure as hell are not wholly responsible for the mess that is Afghanistan today. Did we contribute? Sure, but the Russians, Pakistanis, foreign fighters and the Afghani's themselves are a lot higher on the list of 'people who ruined Afghanistan' than we are. If you think otherwise, you are wrong.

Oh, you're absolutely 100% right and I agree completely. I wasn't trying to imply that we were solely responsible. This was a multi-pronged effort, I just think it would be ridiculous of anyone to completely deny that the US is, if even in part, responsible in some way. Good explanation too, thanks.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Jesus, Motballie, you obviously have no real experience in foreign affairs. We gave money and funds to the cause in Afghanistan, but due to the political ramifications of the time we had to separate our selves, so we gave it all to the Pakistani ISI. The Paki ISI does not share the same political alliances that it's parent government does, as a result, an inordinate amount of support went to extreme elements inline with the ISI's ideology. So while we defeated the FSU in Afghanistan, our subsequent non involvement left a power vacuum. The resulting lawlessness allowed a group such as the Taliban to step in and create a relatively more secure day to day lifestyle. If you read a bit about the history, the Taliban didn't start out as a super repressive regime it would become. They started out as the sole people willing to bring peace to a world of anarchy.

Unfortuneatly, I can't quote a specific article backing what I'm saying (I know this is akin to saying I am rambling) but I've always likened the ISI to the IGRC in their relation to the will of the people.

Google will make us all topical experts....on any topic!:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
How is russia actually doing in this war?

It's hard for me to compare this campaign against any others, I don't remember many specifics from the early days of OEF/OIF, but how is this campaign going for the russkies?

Seems like they are taking a while to push a much smaller force around, and collaterally damaging the eff out of a country while they're at it but I assume thats on purpose/a matter of no one else in the world having piles of JDAMS sitting around. What should we (the US) take away from this conflict?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
It's hard for me to compare this campaign against any others, I don't remember many specifics from the early days of OEF/OIF, but how is this campaign going for the russkies?

Seems like they are taking a while to push a much smaller force around, and collaterally damaging the eff out of a country while they're at it but I assume thats on purpose/a matter of no one else in the world having piles of JDAMS sitting around. What should we (the US) take away from this conflict?

Still a poly-sci scholar I see :D. I'm interested as well, standing by.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look in the dictionary under "irony . . ."

And you'll find this.

Russians bombing the Frogfoot factory . . . while flying Frogfoots (or is that Frogfeet?).

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
FWIW, I went to the annual inventory issue of AW&ST. Per the 2008 issue of Jan 28, the Georgian air force has 7 tactical fighters (all SU-25 Frogfoot) - 2 of which are trainers. Of course, the Frogfoot is really an air-to-mud platform with little air-to-air capability. The rest of their air force is made up of about 16 helos & 16 cargo a/c. This was a slaughter before it started, and the Russians were delighted to have the chance to oblige them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, the idiot stepsister of western civilization strikes once again.

Been a nice 17 years off.