• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

exNavyOffRec

yes or no, packages that were rec'd by NRC by the deadline if in order should be sent to board, but the processors are still working on them so it is hard to say, I am guessing that by the end of next week they should know actual numbers of those going to board.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Some good news for Pilots, it appears if you have a good PFAR and gpa over 3 you chances aren't bad, so far I am told about 175 application processed for 50 spots, but several barely meet PA such as GPA 2.5-2.7 and PFAR less than 7.

On the bad side if anything was not readable or missing it probably is not going to make the board.

I had a question about ASTB test scores. On average do you see a lot of above 7 scores. I'm sitting at 5,6,5 50 after taking it once. I had planned to retake the test for an April board, but I was jumped in early and got a kit together for this board. Seems like everybody on this site has 9's across the boards. Hoping my GPA helps out my test scores.

Something else I'm doing: I never took physics in college, but an engineering friend of mine has his old books. Attempting to teach myself and maybe take an advanced stading test or clep test eventually. See if its possible.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Something else I'm doing: I never took physics in college, but an engineering friend of mine has his old books. Attempting to teach myself and maybe take an advanced stading test or clep test eventually. See if its possible.

Have you taken Calculus? Otherwise using your buddies physics books from college is going to do you very little as it will be engineering based physics (also known as calculus based) and not your standard physics class.

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12

How much advanced engineering did you see on the ASTB? None right? It's pretty straight forward stuff. I don't think you should used up all your time becoming a physics expert. Do you have every ASTB practice book you can get your hands on? There's about 3 of them. Take the practice tests over and over. Master your strengths and bring up your weaknesses. For example, you shouldn't miss a single question on the spatial apperception section. Buy a speed math book for shortcuts etc. Did you see any calculus on the test? I didn't. But then again I never took calculus and physics in college either. I literally had to sit down, humble myself, and study math starting with the basics like fractions and decimals. I got a 5/6/5, 51 on my first test. The computer would freeze for 3 seconds after each question that I submitted. I was furious!!! I took it again and scored a 6/7/6 53. Not stellar but was apparently good enough. That was long winded. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

I had a question about ASTB test scores. On average do you see a lot of above 7 scores. I'm sitting at 5,6,5 50 after taking it once. I had planned to retake the test for an April board, but I was jumped in early and got a kit together for this board. Seems like everybody on this site has 9's across the boards. Hoping my GPA helps out my test scores.

Over the several years I have been doing this job I have never seen a person with a 5 or a 6 get picked up for SNA regardless of the GPA, I have seen a handful get picked up with 7's, with most being from this last board.

Okie3

How much advanced engineering did you see on the ASTB? None right? It's pretty straight forward stuff. I don't think you should used up all your time becoming a physics expert. Do you have every ASTB practice book you can get your hands on? There's about 3 of them. Take the practice tests over and over. Master your strengths and bring up your weaknesses. For example, you shouldn't miss a single question on the spatial apperception section. Buy a speed math book for shortcuts etc. Did you see any calculus on the test? I didn't. But then again I never took calculus and physics in college either. I literally had to sit down, humble myself, and study math starting with the basics like fractions and decimals. I got a 5/6/5, 51 on my first test. The computer would freeze for 3 seconds after each question that I submitted. I was furious!!! I took it again and scored a 6/7/6 53. Not stellar but was apparently good enough. That was long winded. Good luck!

Yeah I've got the practice books and have taken the practice tests too (arco, barons). Studying those in case I get to take the test a 2nd time. You're right about the calculus and physics on the astb. NONE. It was mostly basic math and algebra. The shortcuts you're talking about on the math would help me out I believe for the 2nd time around. The first time I tried to overthink some math questions. The computer I used also kept freezing. It was driving me crazy.

twobecrazy: I had pre-cal/calc I guess you would call it in high school. Other than that no calc in college. Probably not going to study physics as hard as I have my flying books, but might try to pick up some basic concepts.

MGoBrew11

pilot
You might want to consider taking the ASTB on paper if your OR will let you. My first attempt on the ASTB was a 5/5/5 52 on the computer. It kept on freezing during the test and in between sections. We had to call NAMI a few times for them to pull the test back up...I am not 100% convinced my scores on that first attempt were actually accurate because of all of the nonsense.

My OR told me to take the paper and pencil version for my second attempt and I scored 8/8/9 61. I studied more efficiently that time but not THAT much more efficiently.

Okie3

Over the several years I have been doing this job I have never seen a person with a 5 or a 6 get picked up for SNA regardless of the GPA, I have seen a handful get picked up with 7's, with most being from this last board.

Yeah 7+ sounds like the number to shoot for. In one of my interviews the captain had looked at my information and said, "My Navy is wanting a bunch of genius brainiacs, I just want some guys with above average common sense." I coach too so that was a good saying I can use on my players. 7 might be the magical above average common sense number nowadays.

exNavyOffRec

You might want to consider taking the ASTB on paper if your OR will let you. My first attempt on the ASTB was a 5/5/5 52 on the computer. It kept on freezing during the test and in between sections. We had to call NAMI a few times for them to pull the test back up...I am not 100% convinced my scores on that first attempt were actually accurate because of all of the nonsense.

My OR told me to take the paper and pencil version for my second attempt and I scored 8/8/9 61. I studied more efficiently that time but not THAT much more efficiently.
Paper version is no longer available, they have been pulled from the field, the new version rolling out in March cannot be taken on paper due to the type of test it is.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Paper version is no longer available, they have been pulled from the field, the new version rolling out in March cannot be taken on paper due to the type of test it is.

Interesting. Do you know if current scores will still be valid after they roll out the new test? If I don't get picked up I'd hate to have to study for a new test. That would be a drag.

exNavyOffRec

The scores from the old versions are still good and will be for a long time.

I am going to guess your GPA is above 3, and if that is the case if you don't get picked up with your scores I would be very surprised.

D

Deleted member 31917

How much different will the new version be and is there a way to study for it now? I haven't taken the ASTB period, and the only time in the near future I'll be back in America for a visit is in April. So I guess that means what I'll be taking is the new version.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
How much different will the new version be and is there a way to study for it now? I haven't taken the ASTB period, and the only time in the near future I'll be back in America for a visit is in April. So I guess that means what I'll be taking is the new version.

There is a thread floating around here about it. I suggest searching for it as that will help you answer that question.

exNavyOffRec

The basics are the same, it adds the use of a joystick, and there is some computer work that will need to be done prior to the test, we have been told total time invested is about 5 hours.

If you are coming back in April you should be able to get briefed then take it next time you are back as the boards you would be able to apply to would be Fall 2012.