• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For pilots, more commonly shore tours would be FRS/VT instructor, various staff jobs, TPS, NSAWC, aide, and for a few maybe NROTC instructor. I haven't heard of a whole lot of guys going to do recruiter duty following their first JO sea tour.

D

Deleted member 31917

Hey guys, I'm new on here. I had a question about when the PRK or eye procedure actually had to be done. And sorry if this would be more appropriate for another thread, but I have another question regarding the topic of this thread anyway. Anyway, my question is, when in the application process does the PRK process need to start? Say for example there is a Pilot board in January, am I able to send in an application with SNA listed on my app without having any procedure done on my eyes yet? I wondering because I'm interested in SWO as well, and I don't want to end up forking over a lot of money for the procedure unless Pilot is a sure thing because I might end up going SWO. Get what I mean? Anyway, here are my stats

24/m
B.S. in Civil Engineering
University of California, Davis
Overall GPA:3.52/Engineering GPA:3.64
Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
Currently getting my Master's in CE at De La Salle University, Manila (Philippines)
Current GPA: 4.0 (only 3 courses completed though)
Haven't taken the ASTB and have had no contact with a recruiter either

So with those stats, what do you guys think? Anyway, I plan to take a visit back to America around April. Do you guys think if I started working on the app here (like filling some stuff out and retrieving some LORs), I could go to America, take the ASTB, and have a package ready for board review in a month's worth of time? I ask this because I have to come back here to the Philippines for the next term. Anyway, I thank you guys in advance for your help.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Hey guys, I'm new on here. I had a question about when the PRK or eye procedure actually had to be done. And sorry if this would be more appropriate for another thread, but I have another question regarding the topic of this thread anyway. Anyway, my question is, when in the application process does the PRK process need to start? Say for example there is a Pilot board in January, am I able to send in an application with SNA listed on my app without having any procedure done on my eyes yet? I wondering because I'm interested in SWO as well, and I don't want to end up forking over a lot of money for the procedure unless Pilot is a sure thing because I might end up going SWO. Get what I mean? Anyway, here are my stats

People have had different experiences with when PRK needs to be done. I know some people have had procedures after being selected and somehow held their pro-recs. HOWEVER, it seems that this is not technically what is supposed to happen because others have failed an eye test after getting a pro-rec and have not been given the opportunity to make the Navy wait while they get the procedure.

You are supposed to get your "final select" within 3 months of the pro-rec. Given that results for the January board will be out in February, you will need the final select by May. Unfortunately this means that some recruiters and the board itself might give you the answer that you need PRK done by right now (May is 6 months from now and a PRK waiver is 6 months). Make sense?

And no one knows what kind of shot you have, especially with no ASTB score. Just apply and see what happens.

EDIT: I had PRK done on October 27. It is well worth the money no matter what. I am applying pilot, but if for some reason I never get it, it is still awesome being able to see!

D

Deleted member 31917

Thanks for the reply. Man, I wish it were cheaper. The decision wouldn't be that tough if I had a job. Either way, I'll try to contact a recruiter soon and get his opinion on when the PRK should be done.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
I got a problem...waiting on the April board and everything probably...getting my last semester done right now.

Do I stay coaching basketball (it has the leadership benifits, I'm out there teaching, making decisions, evaluating, reviewing what went wrong, taking responsibility, etc).....or do I look for a lineboy/mechanic apprentice job come december and maybe learn some more technical stuff.

What would really be cool is if I could swing a basketball grad assistant job at OU and get some aviation/pilot classes paid for....feel like I'd be hustling the hard way for my PPL haha...

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12
22 M
SNA/NFO/Intel
3.6 GPA University of Michigan
8/8/9 61 ASTB
3:02 marathon
Plenty of volunteer work, currently a teacher

You should be a shoe-in with those numbers. I waited almost a year to find out I was pro yes and then another year to finally get my final select letter. I was supposed to be in with the fiscal year eleven pilots but was moved to fiscal year twelve due to budget cuts. Hurry up and wait! Try to be patient and GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

shambo

Hey ladies and gents, just wanted to drop by and say to all those hoping to be selected and thus start the wonderful journey of becoming an officer and an aviator, good luck. I really wish you the best. I sat on these forums curious as to what my chances were and couldn't imagine the future that lay ahead. As alien as it all seems to you right now, keep moving forward and keep trying. It's real stuff and it's really hard once you get there. As hard as it is though, the process and the training, one day in the future you'll be surfing the clouds with the sky on the horizon and think, "Holy crap, it was all worth it..."

mjv305

ENS SNA
Hey ladies and gents, just wanted to drop by and say to all those hoping to be selected and thus start the wonderful journey of becoming an officer and an aviator, good luck. I really wish you the best. I sat on these forums curious as to what my chances were and couldn't imagine the future that lay ahead. As alien as it all seems to you right now, keep moving forward and keep trying. It's real stuff and it's really hard once you get there. As hard as it is though, the process and the training, one day in the future you'll be surfing the clouds with the sky on the horizon and think, "Holy crap, it was all worth it..."

awesome

Okie3

Anybody had OR's move during the process. I haven't talked to my recruiter in a couple months, but I think he moved to Chicago. Hoping my information is on file somewhere still in OKC...

MGoBrew11

pilot
Anybody had OR's move during the process. I haven't talked to my recruiter in a couple months, but I think he moved to Chicago. Hoping my information is on file somewhere still in OKC...

Get ahold of someone at your NRD asap. My recruiter moved on this past summer. I assumed that all my paperwork would still be there and I could just submit. I was wrong. I waited far too long to contact my NRD afterwards. Looks like I'll meet the deadlines for this board but I am cutting it close. (I've been in touch since late November/early December)

Okie3

Get ahold of someone at your NRD asap. My recruiter moved on this past summer. I assumed that all my paperwork would still be there and I could just submit. I was wrong. I waited far too long to contact my NRD afterwards. Looks like I'll meet the deadlines for this board but I am cutting it close. (I've been in touch since late November/early December)

Got back in touch today. Same recruiter is helping...they decided I would be "competitive" again I guess and wanted to get me in front of this January board instead of putting me off until a "MAYBE APRIL BOARD". I have to go back to the office tomorrow. Tonight I'm typing a letter of reconsideration, meeting with recruiter in the morning to look over all my papers again, have officer interview in the afternoon at Tinker, the next day I'm getting another interview at OU with the XO for NROTC. Busy week haha. Thursday afternoon I was supposed to get a 3rd class medical student pilot certificate done also. Might not make it that now,but I'm not griping.

exNavyOffRec

Got back in touch today. Same recruiter is helping...they decided I would be "competitive" again I guess and wanted to get me in front of this January board instead of putting me off until a "MAYBE APRIL BOARD". I have to go back to the office tomorrow. Tonight I'm typing a letter of reconsideration, meeting with recruiter in the morning to look over all my papers again, have officer interview in the afternoon at Tinker, the next day I'm getting another interview at OU with the XO for NROTC. Busy week haha. Thursday afternoon I was supposed to get a 3rd class medical student pilot certificate done also. Might not make it that now,but I'm not griping.

If your OR isn't submitting your final kit by tomorrow 12/22 there might not be anyone to submit it, many NRD's are taking a 4 day so tomorrow is the last day of work, I would check. In addition I myself hate to submit kits less than one week prior to the deadline since if the NRC processor finds a mistake and kicks it back you could miss the board, on one of my first applicants I had this happen, they said the transcripts weren't clear, we could read them but they couldn't.