• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

I'm aware that Lucy has always been pretty consistent with accurate information, and I'm very grateful to her for that. I don't think my OR is trying to get rid of me or anything. I think they might just be under orders to not bother with anyone that doesn't meet their requirements, or something like that. I enjoyed working with him in the past and it seemed like he did as well, so it seems kind of far fetched to think that he would just up and change his mind all of a sudden without any kind of help for another go-around. That being said, if there are some untold new minimum requirements that he is having to operate under, it seems pretty odd that I wouldn't qualify at all. The only thing that I think brings my package down from others is my GPA, which still isn't as low as some others I've seen get selected.

Lucy

Glad I can be of help.

Leviathanms, it is likely what you are thinking about new/recently implemented requirements is correct. Many of the NRDs are making an adjustment to how many times they will put an applicant up without significant change, even when the 6 month minimum is met. With so few slots, it has become paramount that ORs/NRD only submit thier best apps. They have recieved pressure on minimizing the applicant pool, and cutting out older apps is a way to do this. Also, COs of NRDs seem to be being held more responsible, plus the restructering of recruiting overall, so it is mosty likely your OR is feeling pressure too.

Sadly, your degree is likely what others first see when looking at your app, and while degree isn't paramount (Social Sciences here) it can set a negative vibe, especially if there isn't a counter in your package. Might try changing a different component in a big way, whether that is the ASTB retake, getting LORs from officers, or some more steller interviews. Not sure on the work school commitment, but even 2-4 more hours a week of volunteering can really add up. Sounds like your OR is convinced, but that you need something to convince his boss.

Good luck!

As a side note, got eyes rechecked and turns out I can go for SNA (even have some wiggle room), so I'll be in the mix next time around. And no worries, I'd prefer helicopters, not jets. ;-) App gets finished Wednesday, will update stats then.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Are you talking about FY13? There was some "good" info that came in that said there would be 114 or something selects from the August board for FY12, this came out to be untrue.

There were around 114 selects at the August boards. You have to remember that the primary alternates were pro recs for the FY-12 numbers and some of them already have OCS dates. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but if I remember correctly 80 or so were pro rec's and the rest were primary alternates (with the fleet guys included).

boostadikt

VFA-106
There were around 114 selects at the August boards. You have to remember that the primary alternates were pro recs for the FY-12 numbers and some of them already have OCS dates. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but if I remember correctly 80 or so were pro rec's and the rest were primary alternates (with the fleet guys included).

Yeah, there were 85 selects and 28 primaries IIRC, so yeah actually 113 haha. I'm just saying that nothing is certain, I think the only alternates that got picked up so far are because some selects gave up the pro-rec, there is no 100% guarantee all 113 will see FS in FY12. While I do hope so, my point is speculation will always be just that.

CBR11

Leviathanms, it is likely what you are thinking about new/recently implemented requirements is correct. Many of the NRDs are making an adjustment to how many times they will put an applicant up without significant change, even when the 6 month minimum is met. With so few slots, it has become paramount that ORs/NRD only submit thier best apps. They have recieved pressure on minimizing the applicant pool, and cutting out older apps is a way to do this. Also, COs of NRDs seem to be being held more responsible, plus the restructering of recruiting overall, so it is mosty likely your OR is feeling pressure too.
So that explains it. My OR was telling me a couple weeks ago that I "only have three shots" for a SNA pro rec and I was thinking huh? I'm 23, so even with the mandatory 6 month minimum, I figured I'll have 5-6 tries. Apparently not I guess. Maybe someone could get around this new 3 limit rule with a new masters degree or something; not sure what qualifies as a "drastic improvement."

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
So that explains it. My OR was telling me a couple weeks ago that I "only have three shots" for a SNA pro rec and I was thinking huh? I'm 23, so even with the mandatory 6 month minimum, I figured I'll have 5-6 tries. Apparently not I guess. Maybe someone could get around this new 3 limit rule with a new masters degree or something; not sure what qualifies as a "drastic improvement."

If thats true sounds like everything is getting tougher...not just 3 times on the astb but three times in front of a board...haven't heard that from my OR yet. My wife brought up a good point and i couldn't answer her (she's supportive and everything). What happens to all the hundred guys from the year before that go to the fleet eventually? Why is there another need for 100 more the next year for the same x number of planes....not that many pilots are getting out after they've served are they....

Staying motivated studying for ASTB again....hoping to bump up the 5,6,5 50...hopefully won't make it harder than it really is.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
What happens to all the hundred guys from the year before that go to the fleet eventually? Why is there another need for 100 more the next year for the same x number of planes....not that many pilots are getting out after they've served are they....

There is always going to be people getting out, whether they have served just 10 or the full 20+ for retirement. Any organization needs more people at the lower ranks, so as people leave or get promoted there are constantly slots at the bottom levels opening up. It is not like they fill all positions at once which would probably result in very few slots for some time and then a mass exodus at some point, but they instead add people at a fairly consistent rate which in turn makes a predictable number of openings each year (which is very important considering training constraints, general stability, etc). This would be more difficult if there was a small number of pilots, but they number somewhere in the thousands so it averages out for the most part (I am sure there have been exceptions at some point). Not to mention other non flying billets pilots may get put in at points during their career.

MGoBrew11

pilot
wooooo!

Had PRK today. Feeling pretty good at the moment. I can even see the computer screen. I will be up for this board, whenever it happens.

If you just had PRK, how are you going to be eligible for this January board? I only ask because I'm getting my PRK done on Tuesday, and I was told that I would not be eligible to apply for the January board.

MGoBrew11

pilot
PRK October 27th means I will be eligible for a waiver April 27th. For a January board, results will likely be out in late February. That means I would need final select by late May. PRK waiver is well within that time frame.
Also, my NRD said I'd be fine. The recovery truly sucks. Hopeflly it is workth it in the end.

Excuse any typos. Can't really see.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If thats true sounds like everything is getting tougher...not just 3 times on the astb but three times in front of a board...haven't heard that from my OR yet. My wife brought up a good point and i couldn't answer her (she's supportive and everything). What happens to all the hundred guys from the year before that go to the fleet eventually? Why is there another need for 100 more the next year for the same x number of planes....not that many pilots are getting out after they've served are they....

Staying motivated studying for ASTB again....hoping to bump up the 5,6,5 50...hopefully won't make it harder than it really is.

Manning isn't just an issue of guys "getting out". Squadrons have regular rotations of folks leaving to go on shore duty/other things. If 2-3 guys (or more) leave every squadron in the Navy each year due to career timing, then that is a whole lot of empty seats that they need to fill with new cat 1's from the FRS. In other words, just because we have however many thousand pilots on active duty, only a portion of those are in flying billets, and they cycle in and out of those jobs every 30 months or so, leaving holes in manning, even though overall, not that many folks have left the service entirely. Clear as mud? :)

egd33

pilot
Contributor
PRK October 27th means I will be eligible for a waiver April 27th. For a January board, results will likely be out in late February. That means I would need final select by late May. PRK waiver is well within that time frame.
Also, my NRD said I'd be fine. The recovery truly sucks. Hopeflly it is workth it in the end.

Excuse any typos. Can't really see.

Wow, I wish I had your experience with this initally. I had PRK in late April and applied for the August boards, but my NRD (Jax), Miami, and Atlanta all told me I had to get my MEPS done first to apply, no exceptions. Had to work with a recruiter in the New Orleans NRD (closest to me that fell in the NOLA NRD was Pcola), and even that was a initially difficult to work out, but in the end persistence paid off. My 6 month wait finished yesterday and my final followup is on Monday to send in for the waiver and then just waiting for a FS after that. It will definitely be worth it if it works out for you and you are selected, and if not, at least you should be able to see well (I don't know about you but I was about 20/500 pre-PRK). The general suckiness of the surgery should be over for you in the next few days (though it was never as bad for me as I have seen many describe it). I definitely have no regrets!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Yeah, I was 20/400. I was supposed to be up for NFO in the August board (had been waiting about a year). They didn't take any and so I decided I wasn't going to risk that happening again and just get the PRK to apply for what I really wanted anyways.

And I'm living in New Orleans right now! Ironically I'm working with NRD Lansing in Michigan.

Anyways:

22 M
SNA/NFO/Intel
3.6 GPA University of Michigan
8/8/9 61 ASTB
3:02 marathon
Plenty of volunteer work, currently a teacher

Crossing my fingers it all works out this time.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Manning isn't just an issue of guys "getting out". Squadrons have regular rotations of folks leaving to go on shore duty/other things. If 2-3 guys (or more) leave every squadron in the Navy each year due to career timing, then that is a whole lot of empty seats that they need to fill with new cat 1's from the FRS. In other words, just because we have however many thousand pilots on active duty, only a portion of those are in flying billets, and they cycle in and out of those jobs every 30 months or so, leaving holes in manning, even though overall, not that many folks have left the service entirely. Clear as mud? :)

Yeah that makes sense with everyone rotating. One more question I had, what kinds of jobs are included in shore duty? I know you could end up recruiting, but what else could you end up doing? Figured it would be good to know in case I'm asked about that in an interview.