• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 09 Boards

MidWestEwo

None
Hey, bmaru--I lived in Roma for a while, and could give you some tips to make a visit to the city really fun and unique! If it's in your plans to do some sightseeing there, let me know!

For INTEL, I know that the EARLIEST one can start OCS for FY10 is June, as October starts the fiscal year. I have also heard that classes are pretty full...I'm ready to begin as soon as I can, as well...so we'll see. If I don't go right away, I'm taking the USAA loan, pay off some bills and then visit some friends in Spain and Italia...perhaps Ireland as well. Why not...that kind of "hurry up and waiting" I think will suit me just fine!
Good luck, again, to all!

Thanks. If you have any suggestions let me know. We will be staying in Rome. What are the best restaurants? I want to make a trip to my family's hometown of Abruzzi. Have you ever been there?

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I dated a girl from Viterbo...she always talked about the volcanic hot springs above the city. She said that Viterbo was only about 45 minutes from Rome, so that might be an excellent place to explore, too.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
One week left fellas! I think I just watched Speed and Angels for the 5th time...

yeah just watched that for the first time a couple days ago, intbetween the blue angels video on repeat. That Lt. deff. had one of the most ineresting stories of getting a flight slot.

But, back when I was racing world cup mtn. bike races I traveled to vigo, spain and livigno, italty for world champs. Flew into Zurich, and rode a bus through the swiss/italian alps. Awesome experiance, Italian farm culture is very interesting at the least. wish the team would have flew into milano to see that area, but my family saw venice and inbetween. enjoy your trip.

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
A Roma...COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC!

Thanks. If you have any suggestions let me know. We will be staying in Rome. What are the best restaurants? I want to make a trip to my family's hometown of Abruzzi. Have you ever been there?
--I don't believe I was ever through Abruzzi...my favorite place outside Rome is Assisi--ABSOLUTELY AWESOME old city in Umbria...don't waist your time and money in Tuscany--go to Umbria--

Feel free to copy and print this info--lol
Ok, all...here are some "must-sees and dos" wilest in Roma:
1) Best Coffee--Cafe San Eustachio (a few blocks from the Pantheon), any Roman will tell you this, and it's usually packed with ROMANS--a good sign.
2) Best Gelato--"La Palma" (also a few blocks from Pantheon)
Best Restaurant-Honestly, don't spend the money. Go to one of the markets and get your food/wine FRESH. You'll not regret it, and the experience is fantastic. My favorite picnic spots include the Appian Way (Appia Antica) and the surrounding parks and Tre Fontane monastery--more on that in a sec.

Must DO:
Visit ALL 4 Major Basilicas of Rome- Mary Major, St. Peter's, St. John Laterine and St. Paul's outside the Walls. Even if you're not religious, you will REGRET not doing so.

BEST GUIDE BOOK YOU CAN GET--honestly, I NEVER left home without it--FODOR'S "HOLY ROME" millenium ed. (you can find it on amazon.com). Has awesome city maps, pictures and GREAT historical info on all the churches and artwork in each. I honestly have NO IDEA what I would've done without this book!!!
Buy a few subway/bus tickets at a Farmacia (pharmacy) or cafe (you want to try to get an abbonamenti---usually costs about 18 Euro but well worth it considering you WILL GET RIPPED OFF using taxis). Get the bus and sub info from your hotel...the sub is really easy to use.
WATCH OUT FOR GYPSIES--ALWAYS CARY YOUR WALLET in one of those travel pouches for passports UNDER YOUR SHIRT. You WILL be targeted and robbed otherwise--no doubt, the Romans HATE THEM, but they are many. Also, make some copies of your documents and lock them up--if something is stolen--like your wallet or worse, your passport--you will need that info for the US Consolate.

Also visit the following churches: Tre Fontane (a few miles from St. Paul's...just take the bus from the station close by. Ask for "monestario Tre Fontane". You can also walk.) This is a nice break from the city, and has an interesting history behind it.
The Chiesa de Gesu--First Baroque Church in history. AWE inspiring. Built by St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuits
Chiesa de Santa Scala-- The Holy Stairs. Tradition is to go up on your knees--St. Helena, Constantine's mother, brought back the stairs of the palace of Puntius Pilot, which are marked, supposedly, by the Blood of Jesus.
The Turburtine Prison (which held both Peter and Paul, and which is very close to the Tarpeian Rock--where the Romans would throw traitors off of...lol, and the ROMAN FORUM)

Finally, the Roman Forum and, if you can get there, the ruins of Ostia Antica--the port outside Rome.

ALSO GOOD TO NOTE: If you want FREE tickets to a Wednesday Papal audience or any big event at the vatican, you need to go to the office of the NORTH AMERICAN COLLEGE. They won't take calls, you just need to walk in and get them a few days before the event. ALSO, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HISTORY, DO THE "SCAVI" tour. It is a guided tour of the escavations (scavi) under St. Peters and is FASCINATING! You must also get the SCAVI tickets at the North American College.

I'm planning, if I get Intel, to revist some friends and old Roman haunts in a few months...If I'm there when you are, I'd totally take you around. Find a good tour guide who will give you a tour of both the historical and religious foundations/significance of rome, because one without the other would be only a disservice to you.

Have a great time...let me know if you need any additional info!

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
...one more thing about Rome

PS.
You prob. know this, but Italians will bargain EVERYTHING on the street...NEVER EVER pay what they are asking you...start obscenely low, and if you or your companions are looking at knock-offs, say something like "these Fendi glasses are SO OBVIOUSLY fake...I'll give you 3 Euro for them..." they'll argue and argue...but up it only to what you'd pay them and NOT A PENNY MORE. Pulling out that 10 Euro or so, and showing it to them helps you win as well. You can really only do this on the street--and they will ask for something like $50.00 for a silly knock-off that you can bargain down to $8.00 or so if you try. It's not rude...it's super fun to do!
Also, never pay in dollars; try not to use your credit card--withdraw Euros from an ATM, has better exchange rates...etc.
I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but not only did I live in Italia, I am also a VERY seasoned traveler, having been an International Flight Attendant with United Airlines for a while!
Cheers!

UTVol

Pro-Rec SNA
So did we ever figure out which day the boards are meeting this month? As in the actual day and not speculation.

nab4gsu

I'm up for the Feb board, my top 3 choices were SWO, Intel, and Supply. I have an average GPA and OAR score (2.78 and 46) but plenty of extracurricular activities (2 years Model Un + awards, President of Political Science honor society, School newspaper staff writer, VP of PoliSci Club, plus a few more) and a few good references (2 profs and my dad is former Navy Officer). I assume Supply will be the most likely of the three to accept me, is that accurate? How likely is it that I get in the other two? I know Intel is most likely a long shot, but it is an interest of mine with my Political Science/International Studies background. But what about SWO?

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
I'm up for the Feb board, my top 3 choices were SWO, Intel, and Supply. I have an average GPA and OAR score (2.78 and 46) but plenty of extracurricular activities (2 years Model Un + awards, President of Political Science honor society, School newspaper staff writer, VP of PoliSci Club, plus a few more) and a few good references (2 profs and my dad is former Navy Officer). I assume Supply will be the most likely of the three to accept me, is that accurate? How likely is it that I get in the other two? I know Intel is most likely a long shot, but it is an interest of mine with my Political Science/International Studies background. But what about SWO?
I am still fairly new to the process but I believe I am up for the Feb board. I am shooting for SWO, Supply and Oceanography. The majority of the people on this site want to be either pilots or flight officers, but there are a few of us who want to be SWO or supply. I would not assume supply to be more likely than SWO, though competition for intel does seem strong. From what I gather, the navy likes to see well rounded individuals. I recommend having a look around and comparing yourself to other candidates. Good Luck!

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
So did we ever figure out which day the boards are meeting this month? As in the actual day and not speculation.

Second this motion, is there any pro GOOB style OR's monitoring this board. In july I would have thought he was at the board for the information he had on a daily basis.

MidWestEwo

None

My OR told me we would know by the 20th, but averaging out that date with when the last board started to find out, I would shoot for Tuesday next week conservatively.

Yeah I would figure that to be the same, though people started hearing back last month late Friday.....that would be awesome if that is the case

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
Yeah I would figure that to be the same, though people started hearing back last month late Friday.....that would be awesome if that is the case
Did you ever find out if you were in the Feb boards for sure? I called by ORs office late last week to find out if I was in or not and never got a call back. You sent in your package at the same time as me so I figure whatever board you end up in will be mine as well.

nah i never got a complete confirmation other than a few calls from my recruiter saying it's there but that was about then extent of all I found out. I guess the true confirmation on if it got reviewed will be next week.