• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I understand the need for pylons for additional munitions when they're required (and the -9X), I just don't get why it doesn't have an internal gun. I'm sure the 20lb heads could figure out a way to shoehorn one in there. I wonder how many mils we're losing due to external mounting?

Ha... with all the trouble they're having? And I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're working on a LOAL capability like the Python 5... for use in the F-22 too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the need for pylons for additional munitions when they're required (and the -9X), I just don't get why it doesn't have an internal gun. I'm sure the 20lb heads could figure out a way to shoehorn one in there. I wonder how many mils we're losing due to external mounting?
Again, it's a trade-off. I'm sure if the engineers had been able to shoehorn it in there without losing something they thought was more essential, they would have done it.

Brett

MasterBates

Never underestimate the stupid shit customers/management/brass will tell the engineers to do or not do, even though they have an easy, workable solution.

<-- deals with this, oh, daily.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If it weighs as much as the GAU-12, there will be plenty of times an extra thousand pounds of gas are more useful than a gun. When you need a gun, one is still available.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

My guess is that an internal gun on the nose would have compromised the LO (think about all the holes for vents and seams) such that it made more sense to have (1) a no-kidding stealth option, and (2) a not as stealthy option that has greater mission flexibility.

As for a gun in the shoulder, I think the lift fan probably negated that option. The B strikes again! When this is all said and done we'll have like 20 B's, yet all of the design sacrafices that came along with it in the rest of the fleet.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For comparison, the GAU-12 on the Harrier weighs about 1000 lbs and has a 7mil dispersion. Additionally, it's canted downward @ 2-degrees, so it's better suited for A/G.

/next question.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My guess is that an internal gun on the nose would have compromised the LO (think about all the holes for vents and seams) such that it made more sense to have (1) a no-kidding stealth option, and (2) a not as stealthy option that has greater mission flexibility.

As for a gun in the shoulder, I think the lift fan probably negated that option. The B strikes again! When this is all said and done we'll have like 20 B's, yet all of the design sacrafices that came along with it in the rest of the fleet.
The A has an internal gun. The Navy just chose to not have a gun in the C.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
folks involved with producing an airplane:

navair (sets requirements,specs. has the money (lies about how much he really has).

aircrew system advisory panel, ASAP (an entirely different navy than navair) doesn't care about money or specs just wants to get the user a decent jet.

dirtbag contractor management who wouldn't exist if he didn't make a profit.

dirtbag contractor engineering who could not care less about all of the above.

the opeval guys (usta be vx-4). who REALLY could not care less about all of the above.

dirtbag contractor aircrew (guys like me, generally at least 15 years in the cockpit with combat time) didn't really fit in anywhere, not trusted by the navy OR contractor mangement OR engineering. almost gets along with the ASAP guys. kinda maintains continuity as all the other guys are getting transfered or fired all the time.
also, has the most fun.:)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Didn't the Navy originally decide to omit the gun altogether on the F-4, it being the missile age and all, and then have to retrofit a gun onto the plane? At least they decided to go ahead and get the pods this time.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
coolest gun pod configuration ever,
a skyhawk with three of them. i think i read that during strafing tests it would lose 50 kts.
bzb, stop drooling.
;)
Mk4_Navy_Picture.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
coolest gun pod configuration ever,
a skyhawk with three of them. i think i read that during strafing tests it would lose 50 kts.
bzb, stop drooling.
;)
Mk4_Navy_Picture.jpg
MK-12 pod? I remember learning about those in AO "A" School.

exNavyOffRec

The husband (a pilot) of one of our other OR's was saying the amount of rounds carried for the AF version is about half of the F/A-18.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: "MK-12 pod? I remember learning about those in AO "A" School."

mk-4's
6780417272_fcf08d9422_z.jpg

a-4e_08_of_24.jpg

navyao

Sounds like the whole thing's FUBAR if you ask me. I said it earlier that again the "talking heads" didn't learn from history that no matter the current technology; that it was just as important for crews flying 2nd generation a/c to have a gun as it is for crews who will fly todays 4th generation a/c. Remember the photo we all saw of the Rippers "kill" on that Langley Raptor? It was a gun kill. How many of you guys have flown gun runs during CAS missions for ground forces engaged in firefights? What happens if a 35's the only asset overhead and troops are engaged but their winchester with know gun pod? Show of force with sick vapes?

Then again boys what do I know, I only used to hang the stuff you guys would pickle off, all I know is what I learned in A School and from watching Dogfights on History Channel - haha! Hell, the troops at VX and Eglin will come up with all the best tactics to fly and fight the Lightning, it'll all be good.