• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so is there a sway? And if so does the gun mode in the HUD calc for AG or AA?

Yes, the Harrier's gun has a Continuously Calculated Impact Point (CCIP) reticle that uses various methods to calculate impact point. For AG, the most common is to use the Litening pod to derive laser height above target. If you don't have a pod, the radar/gps/arbs/radalt can all do it depending on how you set up the system. For AA, if you have a STT radar lock on someone, it will give you a pipper that is adjusted for G/vector/etc... Without a radar lock, you have the option of a Lead Computing Optical Sight (LCOS) that has 1200' and 2400' setting with a tail showing you where the bullets will fall at 4800' in the current plane of motion. That enough info?

It's not some janky gun just slapped on the bottom on the plane with a sway brace and some duct tape. It doesn't wiggle around or flop about under G or at speed. Jesus people, this isn't WWI.

Also, you can't shoot from a hover. True Lies lied to you.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you tried, or not enough left over temp to spare the bleed air?

There's a 150 KCAS min firing speed for it. It's not so much bleed air as an exhaust gas reingestion concern. Don't want to flame out the motor b/c of muzzle blast.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
There's a 150 KCAS min firing speed for it. It's not so much bleed air as an exhaust gas reingestion concern. Don't want to flame out the motor b/c of muzzle blast.

Isn't that the -406 number? I thought the -408 number was lower......100ish?

I can't remember/don't really care anymore.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't that the -406 number? I thought the -408 number was lower......100ish?

I can't remember/don't really care anymore.

408 is 150. I don't know any 406 numbers; never flew a -406 powered jet.

/not that old
//first FRS class to not fly a -406

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, only that the uninformed second guessing that goes on around here is a little ridiculous sometimes. "Hey, do you think they thought about this? What about this? What about that?"

Give it a rest

Brett

It is a shame that we don't have TS/SCI Airwarriors. That would be a lot more fun. Then we could rrrreeally second-guess decisions.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
jmcquate said...
Ok, so is there a sway? And if so does the gun mode in the HUD calc for AG or AA?
Then squeeze said...
Yes, the Harrier's gun has a Continuously Calculated Impact Point (CCIP) reticle that uses various methods to calculate impact point. For AG, the most common is to use the Litening pod to derive laser height above target. If you don't have a pod, the radar/gps/arbs/radalt can all do it depending on how you set up the system. For AA, if you have a STT radar lock on someone, it will give you a pipper that is adjusted for G/vector/etc... Without a radar lock, you have the option of a Lead Computing Optical Sight (LCOS) that has 1200' and 2400' setting with a tail showing you where the bullets will fall at 4800' in the current plane of motion. That enough info?

It's not some janky gun just slapped on the bottom on the plane with a sway brace and some duct tape. It doesn't wiggle around or flop about under G or at speed. Jesus people, this isn't WWI.

Also, you can't shoot from a hover. True Lies lied to you.
It was like...

political-pictures-obama-get-the-f-out-oh-snap.jpg

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Ok here's a random thought. Can the -35A mount the external gun as well? I'm spitballing, but that could potentially add to its ground attack capability if it had a downward cant. The A-10s won't be around forever.

Look at me, solving the Air Force's problems now. I've been at ACSC too long.

Strike Eagles do plenty of strafing, and they have an upward cant (I think 2 degrees, but not positive) like an F/A-18.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Strike Eagles do plenty of strafing, and they have a 2 degree upwards cant like an F/A-18.

True, but that can't be ideal. If you have the option, why not have an even or downward can't? That being said, you've also got the high speed disadvantage and dispersal of the rounds. Neither are ideal for ground attack.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
How much does an externaly mounted gun sway with a g load?

The question is how much G are you going to pull on missions that require the gun?

at least 5-6G's everytime you employ the gun A-G ...and conceivably up to max G if you are defending (up to 7.0 G's in the F-35B's case)

Good memories ...LOL!! In the skies over N VietNam ...mid 1966 ...squadron mate Lt Sam L. has a new (to our Air Group) weapon loaded on the centerline rack of his A4B ...a single pod containing a very rapid rate of fire 20 MM "gatling" type of gun.

I don't recall the target or delivery method involved ...but as Sam executes his pull up off target ...the pod separates from the his centerline rack! All the way back to the boat, Sam is very concerned that perhaps he'd somehow messed up switches on his ordnance panel ...thereby ending his USN career because of delivering the latest hi-tech gun directly into the hands of the enemy!

Back on the bird farm, it was immediately established he was in good shape ...the lugs securing the pod to the rack were still aboard his Scooter ...centerline latches had NOT opened ...lugs had neatly pulled free from the pod.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
It is a shame that we don't have TS/SCI Airwarriors. That would be a lot more fun. Then we could rrrreeally second-guess decisions.
Check out A-Space Airwarriors on the high side. Underutilized, but there.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Good memories ...LOL!! In the skies over N VietNam ...mid 1966 ...squadron mate Lt Sam L. has a new (to our Air Group) weapon loaded on the centerline rack of his A4B ...a single pod containing a very rapid rate of fire 20 MM "gatling" type of gun.

I don't recall the target or delivery method involved ...but as Sam executes his pull up off target ...the pod separates from the his centerline rack! All the way back to the boat, Sam is very concerned that perhaps he'd somehow messed up switches on his ordnance panel ...thereby ending his USN career because of delivering the latest hi-tech gun directly into the hands of the enemy!

Back on the bird farm, it was immediately established he was in good shape ...the lugs securing the pod to the rack were still aboard his Scooter ...centerline latches had NOT opened ...lugs had neatly pulled free from the pod.

Banty - was that the "famous" Hughs gun pod?

We sometimes carried it down south. The largest single shot gun pod around. One round exits and the gun jams - that is fun