• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
True, but that can't be ideal. If you have the option, why not have an even or downward can't? That being said, you've also got the high speed disadvantage and dispersal of the rounds. Neither are ideal for ground attack.

2 deg upward cant is just fine for AG, and helps you shoot with less angles in AA.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Banty - was that the "famous" Hughs gun pod?

We sometimes carried it down south. The largest single shot gun pod around. One round exits and the gun jams - that is fun

Ah-h-h ...don't remember, LB ...I did a Google search ...sounds like the Mk4 Pod, containing a Mk 11 20mm cannon (commonly used on the A4, says WiKi)?

Saw only that ONE pod on Sam's plane, on both Yankee & Dixie Station ...dropped somewhere up North!! :)

Gotta add, tho ...we sure fired the crap out of our onboard 20mm cannons!

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Ah-h-h ...don't remember, LB ...I did a Google search ...sounds like the Mk4 Pod, containing a Mk 11 20mm cannon (commonly used on the A4, says WiKi)?

Saw only that ONE pod on Sam's plane, on both Yankee & Dixie Station ...dropped somewhere up North!! :)

Gotta add, tho ...we sure fired the crap out of our onboard 20mm cannons!
I believe you are correct. All I know was that if you got more than 1 round out of it before it jammed consider yourself lucky.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
True, but that can't be ideal. If you have the option, why not have an even or downward can't? That being said, you've also got the high speed disadvantage and dispersal of the rounds. Neither are ideal for ground attack.

Dispersal of the rounds? We train to unload at trigger squeeze to keep the group tight, if that's what's appropriate.
High speed disadvantage? I'm not sure what you mean here. As far as I know fast gun bullet + fast jet = very fast gun bullet = more accurate. If you want a helicopter or AC-130 to hover over a target and shoot it, then by all means get one of those. A strike/fighter will never be as slow as them.

When you are strafing, I would contend that the environment is permissive enough that you can put the jet where it needs to be to get a valid solution on the target and strafe the f*ck out of it, even with a gun designed for A/A. If it's not permissive, I am not getting that close, and the gun is not the appropriate weapon to target match. However, in A/A that extra 2 degrees is much more critical. You don't have all day to set up behind someone for a shot, and the G at trigger squeeze is much greater. More G at trigger squeeze means the bullets will fall below your nose where you can't see them without traveling very far. That means, with a nose down cant, you might not being able to see what you are shooting at in an aerial engagement.

As far as changing the cant in-flight or between flights... again, I would say its not even worth it for A/G. But I've never flown anything besides the Hornet.

As a side note, all those old school videos where the WW2 fighters had 6 second long trigger pulls strafing trains, etc. We figured out later that they were getting shot down alot... by themselves, or their wingman

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
sounds like the Mk4 Pod, containing a Mk 11 20mm cannon (commonly used on the A4, says WiKi)?

We (VA-146, A-4Cs) employed the Hughes MK-4 Gun Pod occasionally on our '66 cruise. Used it mostly for CAS on Dixie Station. The only gun pod ops from Yankee Station were a few of what we called WBLC (Water Borne Logistics Craft) hunts. We stayed 'feet wet' prowling along coastal areas looking for ammo/supply barges to harass. A 3-sec burst @ 4500 Rds p/m could saw a fair size barge in two. As I recall, the pod carried around 800 rds. for a total of approx. 10 secs. of fire. Bursts were limited to 3 secs. w/5 mins cooling between bursts to prevent barrels from melting.

Sidenote: Strafing up north went out of favor in mid-'66, as the low altitudes required for accurate strafing became too hazardous from small arms fire (see below :eek: ). A min. altitude of 3000' was then ordered for all missions over NVN feet dry.
BzBBattle Damage-2.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We (VA-146, A-4Cs) employed the Hughes MK-4 Gun Pod ... A 3-sec burst @ 4500 Rds p/m ... Bursts were limited to 3 secs. w/5 mins cooling between bursts to prevent barrels from melting.

I looked up this system- two barrels, did I get that right? 4500rpm from just two barrels, I could see heat how heat could be a problem! :eek:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked up this system- two barrels, did I get that right? 4500rpm from just two barrels, I could see heat how heat could be a problem! :eek:

Two barrels is correct. Both barrel liners had to be repiaced after each firing flight. A real headache for the Ordies on a quick turnaround...but, as always, they found a way!
BzB

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<< Sidenote: Strafing up north went out of favor in mid-'66, as the low altitudes required for accurate strafing became too hazardous from small arms fire (see below :eek: ). A min. altitude of 3000' was then ordered for all missions over NVN feet dry.>>>
BzBView attachment 10654

Maybe for your Air Group, Hugh ...but not for CAG-10 in Intrepid. Following a SAM avoidance maneuver over Phu Ly in October '66, I found myself in a "barrage balloon" field at ~1500' ...unbriefed and unprepared for such an encounter ...notified the Alpha Strike bombers right behind me (I was one of two flack suppressors), and climbed back to altitude for my successful run ...LOL!!

'Course, we did lots of crazies on that cruise ...e.g., flying without LOX ...on a voluntary basis, for a couple weeks, when the boat's LOX factory suffered a casualty ...we never missed a sortie. ;-)