• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Lawman

None
This should give you some idea as to its size.
f16-f35-f22.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Their heads look to be about even with the gear doors... unless their as short as you, that thing looks to be bigger than a Rhino.

You gotta look at the photo more carefully. They're forward of the geardoors, I guarantee you they stand taller than them.

And looking at the size comparison, it's definitely smaller than a Rhino... might be a little taller, but shouldn't be THAT much taller.

Edit: Wiki says (could be wrong) it's about 17 feet high... Rhino is 16... unless it has short stubby tails, it's not gonna be the monster it looks in that picture. Camera angle and wider lense is doing that.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Ya I just looked up the dimensions... the super is about 10' longer, thats it. However the Navy Varient of the F-35 holds over 19K #'s of gas, INTERNALLY. :eek:

10 feet longer, 7 feet wider, and 1 foot shorter. The cockpit looks to ride higher on the F-35, but other than that... it's not like it's a Prowler...

This picture http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/12022.jpg shows people walking under the wing at about the same height of a Rhino wing.

Now THAT is a lot of gas!

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Lets revist my helmet question?
Sun shade/visor on that helmet?

I can't be the first to have thought of that, and I can think of no way for one to fit on that helmet. Maybe aviators of the future have photochromatic eyes...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
"wieght reduction"

Nah, gives it some more character...

But I'm wierd like that. I've always thought the F-35 was the sexiest thing out there.

Then again, I also think the JV Hornets look better then the Tomcat

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Don't use the word legacy... other wise rep points for knowing what the better jet is.

He's right, the correct term is JV Hornet ;)

JJCaesar

pilot
Poor rear visibility due to the canopy design, reclining seat, side stick and that helmet add up to poor ACM ability.

Must have had some poor aircrew input into designing cockpit visibility requirements. Or the engineers wouldn't listen.

Can't see between the tails. Can't turn around in the seat. Can't hold stick with left hand while turning, don't see any towel racks. Helmet overhang impedes peripheral vision all around. Looks like a bomb dropper to me...