• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
The use of carbon fiber is pretty sweet. How will the helmet have a sun visor though?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Granted, I have no experience. I was just saying what I thought... clearly you have more experience than I do, so what about the helmet makes it appear to make defensive BFM more difficult? I'm honestly asking and not attempting to be an ass. Is it the dimensions? Limited visibility? Something I'm missing?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The use of carbon fiber is pretty sweet. How will the helmet have a sun visor though?

Just a guess but, I'd be willing to bet you won't see any of that carbon fiber in the Navy version, doesn't reflect very well, and from what I understand the helmets are supposed to have a good bit of reflective material on them.

:edit: oh, and I'll shut up in this thread now, since all I'm doing is adding to the speculation w/o any real clue :)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Granted, I have no experience. I was just saying what I thought... clearly you have more experience than I do, so what about the helmet makes it appear to make defensive BFM more difficult? I'm honestly asking and not attempting to be an ass. Is it the dimensions? Limited visibility? Something I'm missing?

Unfortunately, they don't have the helmet available for FOs yet (the software was designed for single seaters... go figure... so there's no way to align it in the backseat yet), but I've flown several BFM hops with pilots who have it.

The fact that you have a huge cable in the back to transmit all that data affects the way you can turn. The fact that it's big, bulky, and affects center of gravity of your head affects how far your head can look. There's also the problem of display fixation and that if it isn't fitted *perfectly* it will slide on your head and then will be out of alignment.

It's a good system, and it's got some very lethal abilities (and it's surreal in CAS or FAC(A) ) but there's situations where it's a pain in the ass to move with.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
heh, first thing I thought of seeing that helmet was this one

:edit:uploaded image instead of attempting to link, oh yeah for those who don't know it's the metroid helmet

Someone beat me to it!

"The last Metroid is in captivity..."

Ack, sorry, my geek was showing a bit there.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
It's not as good as a HUD-designation, but it'll get you looking in the right area (and it beats the sh!t out of fishing for it...) Just think, if you're DCS-equipped (hardly a given in the JV Hornet, though), you section lead rolls in on a target, you have it right up there in your helmet. Or your FAC(A) sees how f#cked up your lead is in his helmet.

The possibilites really are endless in the A/G mode.

The big advantage of the JSF helmet is that it's NVG-capable.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
When you're pulling 6-7 G's, and trying to look behind you, you contort your body in all kinds of different ways, pull yourself around, and shove your head in all sorts of different places in the cockpit. But I'm sure you knew all that.

Not to mention painful. I hate defensive. HATE HATE HATE.

Good "size" picture.

getAsset.aspx

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Just to get back on topic... look how big this thing is.

web_020117-N-5636P-002.jpg

Anyone else realize something very wrong with this picture (not a/c related)?

An oblique shot doesn't give you a good reference to size. You're getting some lens distortion and whatnot there. Doesn't look much larger than a Rhino considering their heads seem to be about the same position where they'd be on the Rhino.